Lee Neck sizing collet die and neck tension?

Bigeclipse

I know some of you do not believe in neck sizing and such but please leave that out of this discussion. I had a quick question about the lee style neck sizing die and neck tension. I loaded up some 7mm rem mag last summer using neck sizing only and I actually got the best loads to date for that rifle. I decided id try out some neck sizing for a 7mm-08 we have. This time I noticed I could push the bullet in by hand after neck sizing so I immediately knew my neck tension was too lose. I screwed the die down a couple turns until I could no longer push the bullet in by hand after it is seated by the die. HOWEVER, no matter how far I screw the die down, I can push a seated bullet in if I force the tip of the bullet on a table top. It takes a LOT of force, which would never happen out in the field anyways, BUT I cannot push a bullet in like this using the full length die OR a factory die. I have two different lee neck sizing dies for the 7mm-08 and they both do the same thing so I am sure it is not that I have a bad neck die (unless both are bad). Is this a problem? If so, how much? thanks

P.S. this is not a comp rifle but it is a hunting rifle which will be used out to 500 yards.

Keep in mind that neck tension (bullet grip) is not directly tied to seating friction.
But still the obvious question I'm sure many would ask is what interference is the LCD providing?
That is; sized neck OD -vs- seated neck OD.
If you're sure you need more interference (for better performance) then you may need to work on the LCD for it.

Personally, I would never FL size necks. There is nothing but bad in that.
I prefer bushing neck sizing, so that I can control the length of sizing (which provides my actual tension adjustment). When you FL size necks you bring donut into tension, which is a big variable.

LEE collet neck size die does not induce "donut" , as the mandrel prevents it. If you need more "tension", use a smaller mandrel (order from LEE, or carefully polish your existing one down)

LEE collet neck size die does not induce "donut" , as the mandrel prevents it. If you need more "tension", use a smaller mandrel (order from LEE, or carefully polish your existing one down)

I use the lee collet neck sizer with great results.

how many times have these cases been fired. Could be the brass is work hardened and has more spring back after sizing. Annealing will cure that.

otherwise here is a link to the lee undersized mandrel

Undersize Mandrel .282 - Lee Precision

thanks for your comments. I am actually getting decent groups as-is, I was just curious if being able to move the seated bullets while pushing the round down hard on my work bench is bad (I mean I have to push pretty dang hard against a hard surface to get the bullet to move)? Id think it is not too much of an issue. I don't believe the 7mm08 is recoiling hard enough to move the bullets in their cases while in the magazine. I just want to make sure im being "safe"

I use the lee collet neck sizer with great results.

how many times have these cases been fired. Could be the brass is work hardened and has more spring back after sizing. Annealing will cure that.

otherwise here is a link to the lee undersized mandrel

Undersize Mandrel .282 - Lee Precision

these are once fired factory load brass, so I do not think it is them being work hardened. also, I do not think it is really an issue as I am getting accurate results, I just wanted to see what you all thought about the safety factor. I have to push really really hard on a hard surface to get the bullet to move (almost crushing the tips of the bullet) which I do not think even under heavy recoil they would move inside the magazine.

Polish the mandrel until you get the OD you desire. I used my drill press on high speed and a strip of 600 emory cloth. It took a few trips back and forth until I had the neck tension I wanted, now its perfect.

You could try pushing on the press handle harder and holding it a couple of seconds. Lee states about 25 pounds of done pressure on the handle for the collect neck die. As far as the neck tension you have I think your fine.

Just sand the mandrel down a couple thousands with some sandpaper as already stated. I did it to mine worked fine. Or you could use the Lee crimp die for uniform neck tention either would work.

Crimping bullets increases muzzle velocity spread by increasing bullet release force spread. It also unbalanced bullets.

Sierra Bullets observed this testing their stuff for accuracy decades ago. Which is why they don't crimp any of their bullets now; even those with cannelures in them. Such mutilations render bullets less accurate. Easily seen shooting sub 1/2 MOA 10-shot groups at 200 yards indoors with rail guns. Cannelured and crimped in bullets don't produce best accuracy.

As has been stated before. Sand the mandrel down a little and keep the necks annealed and you'll be good to go. I'm running .0025 tension. As the necks harden they will spring back more and you will loose tension so annealing often keeps this issue at bay.

You could try pushing on the press handle harder and holding it a couple of seconds. Lee states about 25 pounds of done pressure on the handle for the collect neck die. As far as the neck tension you have I think your fine.

If your shooting for exactly 25 pounds make sure you have plenty of duct tape and string. :D

torquepress_zps80ffd788.jpg

Sorry, I have five Lee collet dies and tried to make myself like them and failed. I just bought a Forster full length .223 die and its going back to have the neck honed. I just can't make myself like a die made as cheaply as the collet die and much prefer full length resizing.

KTLapua-b_zps8d1abc2c.jpg

If your shooting for exactly 25 pounds make sure you have plenty of duct tape and string. :D

torquepress_zps80ffd788.jpg

Sorry, I have five Lee collet dies and tried to make myself like them and failed. I just bought a Forster full length .223 die and its going back to have the neck honed. I just can't make myself like a die made as cheaply as the collet die and much prefer full length resizing.

KTLapua-b_zps8d1abc2c.jpg

You gotta love that redneck ingenuity! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.