I’m pretty new to this, and I have some questions

holechit

I've been out coyote Hunting a total of 4 days since deciding to pick it up, and while I haven't snagged one yet, I've developed some good questions. I've done some reading in many places and haven't seen much on these, so I hope these questions aren't beat to death.
A little background, I live in Oklahoma, am relatively new to hunting in general, been doing it for 3 years now, self taught. I typically pursue birds, waterfowl, squirrels, and pigs. I'm using adequate camo and a foxpro xwave caller. Trying to figure out diaphragm calls, but haven't tried them in the field yet.

Here we go:

How far apart/how far away from the truck are your stands? What dictates this?

How long do you stay on a stand? I hear the general consensus of 30 minutes or so, but are there set circumstances that would dictate longer or shorter stands?

How to call? Throw noises out, or try to build a "storyline"?

When changing calls, "fade out" or just change?

How long to stay on a certain call?

Call volume? I've tried to keep things pretty quiet, thinking about the fact that a hurt rabbit or bird isnt gonna be blasting the countryside with 110Db worth of screaming, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it.

When to use coyote locator sounds? Does it work during the day? What kind of volume? Frequency? Is it extremely effective like "shock gobbling" with turkeys, or is it more of a chaCall elevation? Separating it from me is good, but if I'm on a ridge/plateau that I can't easily climb, can I have it up with me when calling below?nce "if they feel like responding" kinda deal??

Call elevation? Separating it from me is good, but if I'm on a ridge/plateau that I can't easily climb, can I have it up with me when calling below?

I've had two instances where I am covered in coyotes, with two different groups within 30 yards of me yipping and howling and carrying on, but can't get anyone to come in. They don't run off even after I call, I'll still hear them carrying on as if I'm not doing anything. This time of year I tend to lean heavily on coyote vocalizations and less on distress calls.

I appreciate any answers, thanks in advance.

You can read the coyote hunting tips here a lot of it is answered there . There are so many variables that tell you how long to stay on a stand . The volume is affected by hundreds of things as well humidity , wind , temperature all effect it and how well or not so well the sound carries . Most often coyote don't answer locator calls for 30 to 45 minutes after they have howled . It depends on what time of the day , what time of the year it is as to weather or not it works well during the day to use vocalizations . . If coyote are close to you and doing a lot of barking they are not happy with what is going on they will bark and do some short howls that are pretty high pitched in this case most of the time and they won't come in . Coyote are a complex animal with a complex language and hard to figure at first . there is good reading here on hunting and calling take some time and read coyote hunting tips , ramblings and such from hunting coyote and a few other sites in this section good luck .

You're asking all of the right questions. You're thinking about some of the things that really matter, but as the very experienced coyote caller above said: there are no easy answers.

For basically every question you asked, I can find you a guy who kills hundreds of coyotes each year who is on either extreme. There are tricks, but not many things are static. Learn the coyote life cycle, and live and die by it. Read, listen to podcasts, and learn from your mistakes. Calling in coyotes in the first 4 days of trying is really impressive, there are great coyote killers out there that called for 4 years without success.

It sounds like to me that you've gotten 'em called in, so maybe you need to figure out proper set up. You can't kill em if you can't see em. Find some areas to set up where you can make them expose themselves to you. It doesn't have to be a large clearing, but you need an area open enough to see them.
A lot of us didn't have an internet to look for all the answers to your questions. By just getting out there and doing it, you'll learn it with experience and nothing beats first hand experience when it comes to killing coyotes. Don't be afraid to try things, even if you're not sure it's right or wrong.

two different groups within 30 yards of me yipping and howling and carrying on, but can't get anyone to come in.

I definitely do not have the experience of some here, but can at least try.

Stand time- I normally sit between 20-40 mins. I've had some stands where I've sat significantly longer but never shorter then 20 unless it happens quick which it does sometimes. This choice comes from the guy who taught me and the years I've been doing it, it seems to be one of two things. They come within 5-10 mins fast and hard, or come in slow around 20-40 mins and sometimes hang up. Not saying this is always the case but has been like that a lot for me. Past the 30-40 min mark and I've only ever had them come in twice. The other factor is the aMount of stands we try to make in time frame, as well as the bone chilling cold sets in after 15-20 mins and you can only fight it so long.

Truck- I always try and have the truck out of site. Does it hurt, I'm not sure to be honest but I can't imagine it benefiting you with the truck closer.

Volume for me depends on conditions and location. In a tighter sit, with more bush the noise tends to echo so I always start quiet. More open fields I'll start slightly louder. Windy days noise doesn't always make it to where you want or need so volume helps here.

"I've had two instances where I am covered in coyotes, with two different groups within 30 yards of me yipping and howling and carrying on, but can't get anyone to come in."

If they're within 30 yards they have come in. It is a matter of making a set where you have a clear field of fire and no dips or brush where they can be out of sight and that close without showing themselves.

Where I park the rig varies with the terrain. If flat I might ditch it in a dip or depression 1/2 mile or more away. If there are ridges or hills I will park it on the back side and go over the top or around to get on the other side of the rise to make the set. I'm very conscious of sounds of the rig and in or around the rig. Seatbelt and car keys-in-the-ignition warning buzzers/bells drive me nuts! A slammed car door (think naive hunting partners) pretty much blows the stand for me. Tire sounds on a well graveled road on a calm day can be heard many hundreds of yards away. The challenge is avoiding getting spotted, heard, or smelled before getting to the stand.

I try to hang the call on a fence or branch if possible. I have made an adapter from white PVC pipe & cap with a protruding bolt on top (to attach to the tripod port) that fits over the T-posts of barbed wire fencing. Otherwise I try to put the call on a visible area on a slight rise with its tripod. I do not use the decoy feature if the call is on a post or wire.

I've been out coyote Hunting a total of 4 days since deciding to pick it up, and while I haven't snagged one yet, I've developed some good questions. I've done some reading in many places and haven't seen much on these, so I hope these questions aren't beat to death.
A little background, I live in Oklahoma, am relatively new to hunting in general, been doing it for 3 years now, self taught. I typically pursue birds, waterfowl, squirrels, and pigs. I'm using adequate camo and a foxpro xwave caller. Trying to figure out diaphragm calls, but haven't tried them in the field yet.

Here we go:

How far apart/how far away from the truck are your stands? What dictates this?

How long do you stay on a stand? I hear the general consensus of 30 minutes or so, but are there set circumstances that would dictate longer or shorter stands?

How to call? Throw noises out, or try to build a "storyline"?

When changing calls, "fade out" or just change?

How long to stay on a certain call?

Call volume? I've tried to keep things pretty quiet, thinking about the fact that a hurt rabbit or bird isnt gonna be blasting the countryside with 110Db worth of screaming, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it.

When to use coyote locator sounds? Does it work during the day? What kind of volume? Frequency? Is it extremely effective like "shock gobbling" with turkeys, or is it more of a chaCall elevation? Separating it from me is good, but if I'm on a ridge/plateau that I can't easily climb, can I have it up with me when calling below?nce "if they feel like responding" kinda deal??

Call elevation? Separating it from me is good, but if I'm on a ridge/plateau that I can't easily climb, can I have it up with me when calling below?

I've had two instances where I am covered in coyotes, with two different groups within 30 yards of me yipping and howling and carrying on, but can't get anyone to come in. They don't run off even after I call, I'll still hear them carrying on as if I'm not doing anything. This time of year I tend to lean heavily on coyote vocalizations and less on distress calls.

I appreciate any answers, thanks in advance.
Welcome to the addiction!

A couple of questions for you and a few answers, one to a question you didn't ask.

First, what part of OK? The Arbuckle Mountains, the Panhandle, or somewhere in between? All will require slightly different techniques.
It sounds as if you're hunting in thick brush/cover if they're within 30 yards and you can't see them. That's shotgun territory and plan on fast shooting.
If the brush is thick, you may be tempted to turn your head, trying to locate them. You still have to move really slowly if you do that because you may not be able to make them out through the brush, but they don't need a full picture of you to hang up, all they need is movement that isn't consistent with a small prey creature being killed.
As Dave (DSheetz) mentioned, the amount of time spent on the stand has too many variables to give a set answer.
Typically, I am on the stand at least 20 minutes before I ever start calling, letting nature settle down. There are exceptions, but that is my standard.
I always park my vehicle in a hidden spot from my stand, and try to position it so any wind won't blow the odor of it into my calling pattern.
Learning the coyotes language is the best thing you can do.
Holwlers are great for more than just locating coyotes, a good one, such as Crit'r Calls "Song Dog" will give you the options for most vocalizations.
Simple mouse squeaks will gather more attention than you would expect.
Dying rabbit calls are used more often than any other and have educated more coyotes than any other sounds.
Like Dave, I didn't learn this overnight, but through many days, weeks, and years of trial and error.
A ton of bad judgment calls have given rise to much better judgment when it comes to calling coyotes. 😁
I hope some of this is of use to you and any others lurking.
Best wishes for your success!

Ed

Your wasting your time calling this time of year, It's breeding season. Coyotes will ignore distress sounds, only have sex on their minds. In another month when the pups are born, pup in distress sounds work very well

You can't be serious. Some great calling to be done this time of year. Matter of fact, probably my favorite time of year to call.

Learn to use vocals. I love it when I howl, they howl, I howl, they howl, and here they come. Get a group of 3, 4 coming and after the first shot goes off, hit some coyote fight sounds and hang on. Could be some fast and furious action.

Recent Posts