I shouldn’t be this happy about this new yote gun, but I’m ecstatic! So

basinman

You should check out blackhoundoptics.com. For $400 you can get a 6-24 x 50 (30 mil tube, FFP) with a lifetime transferable warranty. They are excellent for the price and come with a sun shade and mounts. If you use the discount code "basinman" you can save an additional 5% and get free shipping. There is also a 4-14 x 44 for even less money. Both have lighted reticles and come in MOA or MIL.

justinp61

Look for a used Leupold 6.5-20 VX3 or VXIII with a varmint hunter reticle. This would be at the top of your budget but I really like mine. I'd like to have one in 8.5-25 to shoot on a rimfire some.

BFD Guns

How does it shoot? I had a 7rm 783 a few years ago-- could never get it under 1.5moa even with handloads
Haven't shot it yet. When I get a gun its a meticulous process. I'm tung oiling the stock right now. Waiting for the dies and components to arrive.

cohunt

Haven't shot it yet. When I get a gun its a meticulous process. I'm tung oiling the stock right now. Waiting for the dies and components to arrive.
Did you sand it down? I've never done tung oil over polyurethane before. I've done tung oil on an unfinished laminate stock though and they turn out great

BFD Guns

Did you sand it down? I've never done tung oil over polyurethane before. I've done tung oil on an unfinished laminate stock though and they turn out great
I sanded some parts on the inside of the stock. The whole damned thing was a bit light on finish anyway. There wasn't much poly and I know the laminate is a bunch of glued pieces, but at the top and bottom of all that is open grain structure. My goal was to fill that open grain with tung oil.

lewwetzel

Love that tung oil. Among other things, I use that pure tung (not the varnish-ey stuff sold in hardware stores) cut 30% w/mineral spirits on the veneer of my vintage JBL speakers. It brings out the grain better, with more “depth” than the recommended linseed oil; more durable, too. Never thought of using it on the wooden stocks of my guns, but don’t see why it wouldn’t hold up well in the elements. Might replicate well the non-glossy sheen on Cooper rifle stocks.

cohunt

Works great
20200520_053609.jpg

BFD Guns

Love that tung oil. Among other things, I use that pure tung (not the varnish-ey stuff sold in hardware stores) cut 30% w/mineral spirits on the veneer of my vintage JBL speakers. It brings out the grain better, with more “depth” than the recommended linseed oil; more durable, too. Never thought of using it on the wooden stocks of my guns, but don’t see why it wouldn’t hold up well in the elements. Might replicate well the non-glossy sheen on Cooper rifle stocks.
I use 100% tung. "Real Milk Paint Company" brand.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts