I need some help

If I would make time, I'd teach myself how to trap, as where I am it would be a much more efficient method for eradication. Lots of good advice here in the forum.
If you have that much of your own land, you can figure out patterns and set up to get them as they come by. If you'd like, send me a PM and we can talk more about it.
This. Of the ones I've hunted, they had a pattern that they followed, almost like clockwork. But if I set up to intercept them, they would alter the pattern. Wth electronic calls, once they figure them out, get a new sound or fergeddaboudit. It's like an ad - "hunter here, stay away."
I've used IR NV (~$700) which gives good images out to 300 yards with a good IR torch. That's the cheap NV start, and yet has a much lower return on the investment compared to trapping.

Check your local laws before trying anything. Here's what I recommend starting with what's likely the most effective to least effective for clearing your land of them:
1. Trapping. Pros: they work when you aren't even around and there are reliable good quality ones for sale. These work best if you can also use bait. I've heard that fermented venison works great, but I've never tried it (if you try this, wear nitrile gloves when handling it!) Cons: some states technically allow it, but make it impractical. I live in Wisconsin and our trapping laws are terrible and can change dramatically from year to year. (I bought some snares one year and then they changed rules on what's allowed for snares. Now we HAVE to build your own snares, because reasons.)
2. Dogs. Pros: effective and fun. Cons: you have to train them, it can be hard to keep them on your property, and they might take a route that's hard to follow.
3. Hunting. Pros: using calls are probably legal everywhere and electronic ones are easy to use. Works best of you can also use bait to cover your smell, and a decoy that can move. Also, thermals are cool and this is a great excuse to get one! Cons: thermals are expensive. It's time consuming. They are more active at night than the day. If you don't have a thermal, then hunting with snow on the ground is greatly preferred.

Trapping coyotes isn't learned overnight it takes time to learn, I found that red fox gland lure lessoned the un-wanted catches greatly. Snaring also isn't learned overnight, given the right circumstances it can be a very useful tool for coyote control. Calling is learned over time as well to become very proficient at it. With coyote everything that you do to control them takes time and patience to learn to be proficient at it. Doing control work for a number of years for Me the best tool in my control toolbox was denning them in the spring of the year and killing the adults and their pups. If you kill only the adults from a den often the pups will be adopted and raised by another coyote or pair, or they will if after a few weeks of life live but be a little stunted in their size. I worked at control 12 months a year and I never ran out of coyotes, but I did have fewer of them and went from the rancher's docking 72 percent to 109 percent lamb crop on average. If you don't keep at it, they will always migrate in and fill the void that you have created, they come from the surrounding areas as soon as they notice a lack of vocalizations from the area that you have killed them in. Coyote have four paw drive and no regard for boundary lines if it's there and no other coyote is they will come in and take up housekeeping. The coyote is the most persecuted animal in the United States and yet they thrive and expand their range, nature has the ability to do better control of them then mankind ever will be able to, you can make a dent in their population and keep their numbers in check in your area, but it is a never-ending job that you have to take the time and make the effort to learn to do well .

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.
I was the provost marshal at the National Guard base air amp Roberts, Calif. when I started in 1986, there was a healthy population of black tails. 7 years later, when I retired, they were few and far between, all because of coyotes. Seems the base also had a "marginalized " population of kit fox, the scrawniest predator you have ever seen. Never saw one outside the built up area, as they fed on garbage scraps. The greenies were sure their field numbers were low because hunters confused them with the coyotes. Just like you could easily confuse a hippo with a gazelle. So no more coyote hunting. (Should also mention that coyotes will eat kit fox.). End result is that the base was overrun with totes and not much else. One more win for the "environmentalists".

I think you are out of luck in that price range for an E-caller. You can get some very good and easy to use hand calls in the 25- 30-dollar range.

SkipB
Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy Prosperous Ney Year
We live about 3 hours away from you and Jill's sister lives in Savannaha. Hopefully I'll get to feeling better from this past operation and If when we visit Jill's sister, I could come over to your place with some of my equipment and do so sets with you day and night. I have Thermal and NV.
Thanks
Len & Jill
Give me a call there was a chorus out there tonight

I think you are out of luck in that price range for an E-caller. You can get some very good and easy to use hand calls in the 25- 30-dollar range.
They had a couple before Christmas at Cal Ranch. for $149 & $159 for the Foxpro . I wanted the $159 Foxpro Inferno as it has more calls. They still have the cheaper one step down. I talked to one guy and he said the Speaker on them has a tinny sound when cranked up. I forgot the name of the one that is one step down, and they only have one left in stock..

I do have one another friend gave to me! It is a Wired caller and you have to put in little disk cards with only 4 calls per disk. The speaker wire is about 10 to 15 feet away from the controller, but has a 50 foot extension. I don't think I want to fool around with wires. The brand of that one is Redding!. It did come with four inserts

I learned the hard way that hunting coyotes where there is a lot of ground cover like we have here in NW Florida is almost impossible with any kind of caller. They will almost always circle around downwind without even once revealing themselves and once they get your wind will often challenge bark at you to let you know how smart they are and how stupid you are.

Having said all that I DO have a couple of buddies that call several nights a week with moderate success but they're VERY accomplished and have access to many many hunting leases and are constantly on the move and rarely hunt the same area more than 2 or 3 times a year.

Frankly I gave it up. I found that I killed more coyotes sitting in a deer stand while having no idea any where near than with a concerted effort.

Something else I've found is that wherever we hunt deer with our deer hounds there seem to be fewer coyotes based on tracks. They vocalize a lot less but we found that tracks are more reliable and of course, we track a lot. looking for fresh big tracks to cast the hounds on. After deer hunting season, when the hounds are out of the woods, they move back onto our deer leases.

If you haven't learned to tell a coyote track from a domestic dog, especially a hound dog, then there are several experts that google can find that will give you good pictures. I've found that basically the coyote track is more elongated than a hound's track and you can draw an X through the track without cutting through a pad print. Once again be sure to google this and get some good pics.

I have come to the conclusion that since poisoning became illegal it's really impossible to control coyote populations effectively and I agree that poisoning should be illegal because it kills so many non targeted species.

Trapping seems to be the most effective legal deterrent here and I'm not going to get involved in trapping. That's better left to people that do a LOT of it and are well versed in it and the incredibly involved scent control that goes with it.

Bait piles are somewhat effective in the short run but coyotes learn faster than you can modify your methods. LOL

Running them with hounds could be effective but coyotes quickly learn where the hounds aren't supposed to go and head for those areas quickly and you'd need HUGE tracts of land where there were no private lands that you weren't allowed to hunt. You'd also need big tough hounds that would stick together because coyotes cooperate with each other very well and will easily kill one or two small hounds once they outnumber them.

Are coyotes here to stay? Yup.... Are they incredibly efficient, relentless and smart predators? Yup

Get over it.... LOL

The only plus I see is that in many states they provide year round hunting opportunities for people that have the patience, time and inclination to hunt them and love to hunt. If I ever retire I may start hunting them full time but for now I still work and cherish the few days each year I can afford to hunt whitetails and fill my freezer with the healthiest and tastiest red meat there is.

Long live the eastern whitetail deer!!! :)

That's a good price on the Foxpro . You don't need it to be turned up all of the way on volume. You can run your caller close to you and not run any wires if you want you can also have it where you can control the sounds and volume without the remote thus having less movement by setting out farther from you and then going back to where you are set up to shoot. I still use hand calls and they are right where I am, I practice setting up with cover for me and movement control it's just a matter of personal preference. Most of the people out calling and hunting coyote and other predators are doing it for the enjoyment and the challenge of doing it so then whatever it is that you can afford or whatever it is that you want to buy you will learn to use to your best abilities and still enjoy doing it as you learn to make it work to your advantage. Best of luck with what you decide to use and many hours of pleasure in your endeavors to outsmart the gray ghost and trickster.

When I lived down south I hunted them almost every weekend with a Foxpro battery operated tail that twitched.Yotes stold the first tail so I killed a rabbit and made another.
Use a cover scent.At first I used skunk scent but accidentally got it on my boots and pants,they had to sleep outside for the night and had to wash them at at a place I didn't live.Cover scents work and confuse yotes.If your married and want to stay that way be careful with cover scents.
Good luck!

I bait them with dead calves from local farmers. I also use meat table scraps of any kind. My bait pIle is 60yds behind the house. I use a cheap $25 driveway sensor on the pile to let me know they are there at night. I don't have time to sit and wait on them so the motion sensor is great for letting me know without wasting time watching.
I have a thermal that I use most of the time for shooting them (goods ones are spendy but worth it) but also a good led yard light with some green cellophane wrapped around it and mounted on a post pointed at the field had been very effective as well. Then I can use a standard rifle scope to see them.
I usually shoot 40-50 every winter out my back door without ever actually going hunting.
Baiting during watmer months is tough do to the meat rotting and smelling.
Coyote dont seem to care but when the wind is wrong its stinky in the back yard so I mainly just hunt in winter

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.
I have hunted and killed coyotes since my first one at 19, now at 71 I still love to wack them. My go to rifle is a 243, 70 grain Nosler Varmagedon. Ok the reason I answered this column is about wind detection, I beat the wind with an Ozonics! On the ground or in a tree the Ozonics covers/eliminates your sent. I researched it for over a year before I bought one, the word Amazing does not cover it. I have had multiple times coyotes and deer down wind and never know you are there until I pull the trigger. The Ozonics that I have is the Model 230. They are on sale for 150 bucks and I do not hunt without it. get out there an shoot straight!…….oh yeah I'm going in the morning😉