I need some help

SkipB

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.

Guys I have come to develop a deep and abiding hatred of coyotes. They have devastated our deer and other small game here in south Georgia. I have been deer hunting for over 50 years and I have never seen it this bad. I have a Foxpro call and I can shoot them with either my 22-250, 220 Swift or my 243. So far all I have been able to shoot is the random lame brain coyote who stumbles along but I want to get better at it. I have 4 tower stands here on my farm to shoot from. After deer season I want to get after them hard. I also have a 25-06 a 7mm-08 and a 308 if I need to shoot farther but I want to be able to call them up regularly. What advice can you guys give an old man who wants to kill as many coyotes as I can.
They are very smart. i gave up all other hunting just for Yotes and some HOGS. If you make a set where the yotes roam and spoke them they will remember. Everything is your enemy hunting yotes. The wind, vision. In the daytime I use Fawn Decoys, Red Tails Hawks,Critters and use mouth calls along with electronic. Night time is much easier due to less people hunting. Get good electronics from NV and Thermal figure $8K to $10K.
Get with someone that has been doing it a long time. He/she can tell you their mistakes and what is right to do. Save you years of frustration.
You will also need access to a lot of land.
If you get a chance talk to some good Coyote Hunters.
If you want PM me and I might be able to give you a Dollars worth of info.
I will say that if you do it right it is some of the best hunting! Helps the environment and you have fun hunting.

Most of the ones I have shot I set up over a peanut field and after we invert the peanuts for air drying before we combine them the coyotes come out to get the field rats eating on the peanuts. I have gotten 4 that way. I have a friend who comes and traps them too. Nothing does my heart any better than shooting one and watching him flip and flop for a few seconds after I hit him. I got 2 this year waiting on a deer to step out. Sometimes it sounds like there are 20 or 30 in the woods howling. My farm is just over 1200 acres and I have access to more than that around me but I would like to stay on my own place if I can.

Most of the ones I have shot I set up over a peanut field and after we invert the peanuts for air drying before we combine them the coyotes come out to get the field rats eating on the peanuts. I have gotten 4 that way. I have a friend who comes and traps them too. Nothing does my heart any better than shooting one and watching him flip and flop for a few seconds after I hit him. I got 2 this year waiting on a deer to step out. Sometimes it sounds like there are 20 or 30 in the woods howling. My farm is just over 1200 acres and I have access to more than that around me but I would like to stay on my own place if I can.
Well with that much land I am sure that if the feed is there then you will have several packs of Yotes to shoot. But remember a Coyote can travel up to 30 miles in one day searching for food. They need to eat their body weight in food every week. (more when it is colder).
Learn from other hunters, and try not to make the same mistakes twice. Wind is either your friend or enemy. Movement & Camo are a factor. Yotes have excellent vision especially on movement. So when you get set up in a Hide do not move around.

Be warned. Killing coyotes is addictive.
With electronic calls, I have had pretty good luck using various squealing pig calls. Coyotes come at a run for a little bigger tasty meal, and they aren't totally focused on one spot. Head is on a swivel looking out for bigger hogs protecting babies.
Thermal will teach you a lot. Expensive but watching them respond during cold weather where they have more trouble hiding is an education. Not totally necessary but more like a graduate course.

They are very smart. i gave up all other hunting just for Yotes and some HOGS. If you make a set where the yotes roam and spoke them they will remember. Everything is your enemy hunting yotes. The wind, vision. In the daytime I use Fawn Decoys, Red Tails Hawks,Critters and use mouth calls along with electronic. Night time is much easier due to less people hunting. Get good electronics from NV and Thermal figure $8K to $10K.
Get with someone that has been doing it a long time. He/she can tell you their mistakes and what is right to do. Save you years of frustration.
You will also need access to a lot of land.
If you get a chance talk to some good Coyote Hunters.
If you want PM me and I might be able to give you a Dollars worth of info.
I will say that if you do it right it is some of the best hunting! Helps the environment and you have fun hunting.
Learn to TRAP them! That way if they come when you are not there, they will be there when you arrive.

Last edited:
Do a little scanning back through this site you will find all kinds of good information contained here a couple of places to start might be coyote calling tips and ramblings and such from hunting coyote. I learned a long time ago that all of the animals in the field can smell and feel you if you are excited, nervous or angry when you are in the field as your body odor changes at these times. Take the time to figure out when to use what sounds on your foxpro , so that you are making sounds like the real animals would, how loud to play them and for how long, minimize your movements while going to and from your set up as well as when you are on stand slow and steady movements, look with your eyes instead of turning your head when you can. Pay attention to the air currents direction, the amount of humidity plays a big part in how your scent carries as well as how your calling sounds travel . When you are hunting the hunter ( coyote ) every move you make has a purpose and reason for you to do it theirs do and it is for them to live . Having done coyote control work for over 36 years I found that for me anyway denning them was the best tool in my control tool kit but I enjoyed hunting them 365 days a year . Good luck , stay calm and collected in the field and enjoy what you are doing!

These things make a living staying alive and as others have said, smart to start with and quick to learn. Any of your rifles will work. I'd pick the one you like and roll with it. I've called in a bunch and all of my shots have been under 100 yards except one. That lone exception hung up across a meadow from me at about 250 yards. The last mistake she made that day was thinking I couldn't shoot that far. I call from the ground so I always tote my shotgun along with my rifle. You really need to control your scent. I've used Dead Down Wind products for years with great success. Make sure you wash your hunting clothes, all of it, socks, underwear, hats, etc. in a detergent intended for hunting. In addition to being scent free those won't contain any UV brighteners. Be very mindful of the what the wind is doing. Foxpro makes great calls so get proficient with it and the remote. Keep in mind that the call will be pointed away from you and some distance from you as well. If you crank the volume up to where you can hear it, it might be unrealistically loud. Find realistic volumes then trust the volume number on the remote. Decoys work. The one I've used the most is one I made out of an old carbon arrow shaft with a piece of bailing wire through the nock as an outrigger. Off of that wire, I tie in a turkey tail feather so it hangs down about 4 inches. I stick the arrow in the ground next to the caller. The feather is easy to see, reacts to the slightest breeze, provides motion that works in conjunction with the sound from the caller. It also makes the caller easy to find when I'm ready to move to a new location. When you change locations, do so quietly. There might be a coyote laying in the sun on the backside of the hill right in front of you...
Good luck! Coyote hunting can be addictive. Ask me how I know...