I’m a new believer in Berger bullets!

6.5 Remington

I've been reloading for over 30 yrs! I have used every possible bullet known to man! Except The Berger bullet! Recently I had a Remington 700 rebarreled to the 280 AI. I could not find a suitable bullet in my repatoir that I was happy with the results! I can't get 1/2 in or better I m not happy! So I picked up a box of 180 gr vld hybrid target to see if it would make a point !!it did ! I'm a believer in Berger!
Now I'm happy ! But what would it do at distances of 500 yds or more! I shoot a lot and I haven't seen the energy this bullet carries at distance!! A 12" plate with a8" circle at 700yds drove this bullet 3/8" through a 1/2plate! Wow

Attachments

• 3B22EC87-2A63-4977-AADA-86C453D469DC.jpeg
    3B22EC87-2A63-4977-AADA-86C453D469DC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 248
I am glad you like Bergers. We shoot a lot of them for Competition and a lot of us use for hunting depending on the bullet type.
Competition bullets usually flatten out hitting a 500 steel plate. Hunting bullets are made to expand inside an animal for 100% energy distribution.
Just get yourself some "Black tips" (if legal) if you want to shoot through most any steel plates.

Berger bullets are pricy but shooting other bullet brands & types to get satisfactory results might be more pricy. An example: wifey shoots her 9 twist .223 at 300 yard steel using 69 grain Si MK's & 69 Barnes Match Burners, hits decrease with 8-10 mph wind at 11;00. Using the same components, brass, primer, & powder kind/amount but switching to the Berger 70 VLD hits are increased noticeably under same or slightly worse conditions . Satisfaction is obtained with 35 rounds loaded with 70 grain Berger VLD instead of remaining frustration with 50 of the others. Black painted steel now covered with closely spaced multiple splash marks. Cost increase $0.07 - $0.05 per round.

Read the info regarding form factors in the Berger manual - G7 BC info is not the entire situation. Only Berger gets into this stuff - they even apologize for some expectation to understand the math involved. (division) For demanding rodent & yote shooting I like the 6mm 95 VLD hunting bullet out of a 8 twist 6mm. I understand that the target bullets have thicker jackets than the hunting bullets but don't know for sure. From what I have read the Berger hunting bullets are designed to penetrate several inches then fragment causing extensive trauma - DRT or "dead right there".

The target shown has many deep bullet craters. Possibly the hit that did complete penetration landed in an existing crater. The target appears to of mild steel, not AR500.

The .224 62 grain, green tip bullet has a steel penetrator and when driven out of a .22-.250 at about 3,400 fps does lots of damage to steel targets.

Last edited:
I've been reloading for over 30 yrs! I have used every possible bullet known to man! Except The Berger bullet! Recently I had a Remington 700 rebarreled to the 280 AI. I could not find a suitable bullet in my repatoir that I was happy with the results! I can't get 1/2 in or better I m not happy! So I picked up a box of 180 gr vld hybrid target to see if it would make a point !!it did ! I'm a believer in Berger!
Now I'm happy ! But what would it do at distances of 500 yds or more! I shoot a lot and I haven't seen the energy this bullet carries at distance!! A 12" plate with a8" circle at 700yds drove this bullet 3/8" through a 1/2plate! Wow
Don't do it! Quit while you can! Berger bullet sucks!

My 300 WBY Loves the 190vld…..my daughter & I have killed elk & deer from 80yds to 1000yds with this bullet, PM if you want details. I'm waiting on my 7saum build to get finished up & I will be in your shoes with the 280 AI sending lead!……I'm happy you found a successful recipe with Berger & don't hesitate for a moment to send that beautiful projectile into a delicious specimen of meat fur & bone…

Outstanding bullets! I have used them with excellent success shooting thousands for both competition, and LRH. A target from over a dozen years ago, shot with the first box of Berger's I bought. One if my favorites, the 140 HVLD…Shot from an "out of the box" factory Savage I had won at an Egg Shoot.
023C8585-BDF5-4A09-8A09-B446E7569DB3.jpeg

I'm glad you're excited but it doesn't take much to drive a bullet through 1/2" plate. Most bullets with a J4, similar, or heavier jacket will do that pretty easily.

The nice thing is that you seem to be shooting it well so you should be able to get decent shot placement.

This is what a 140 berger VLD hunting traveling 2980 ft./s will do to a 1 inch mild steel plate at 500 yards
4CE4F8C4-5B5F-4549-8D84-B7807E1348DB.jpeg

Recent Posts