Hunting with E-bikes

So what's the point? What am I missing? 406muley
"IF" the policy is implemented as noted ...

E-bike policy from the Secretary of the Interior.JPG

... I do not think he will ever bring it up. But sometimes it changes people's mindset as you did. Simply put, the e-bike affords him the freedom to enjoy the outdoors as all of us should.

I bought the bakcou storm, i upgraded the motor to a 2300w watt wagon motor. Direct plug n play. Also put in the rohloff speed hub. Huge difference over stock. Buddy has the mule. Biggest difference i on average have 30% more battery life. And ton more power plus the gear advantage. It's really impressive what it will climb with 200lbs on trailer and me 210 on bike
Man I wasn't going to reply in this thread, BUT I couldn't help myself😀. Where does the technology stop when considered with hunting? (Not including any disabilities/military or non military)

Think about it! You can shoot a bow with accuracy a 100 yards now, shoot a rifle a 1000+ yards with precision, rangefinders, 15/30x binoculars, ATV/UTV use etc. If you have a bad shoulder you can get a note from the doctor to shoot a crossbow during the general archery hunt. Where does it stop? (Rhetorical Question)

Someone should start a thread on the use of drones for hunting and scouting😳. That would be record length thread👌

And before anyone starts in on me!
i was born in the 50's, (I have a titanium rod in my leg and various brackets and screws throughout my body)
I hunt with a stick bow made from special wood, wood arrows and obsidian broad-heads. I shoot a real black powder musket and I walk in wherever I'm hunting (walking is the only true statement in this paragraph 😝)

If you have a bad shoulder you can get a note from the doctor to shoot a crossbow during the general archery hunt.
On June 18, 2012, I had right shoulder surgery - rotator cuff tear, tendonitis, and some bone spur was taken out. The crossbow was an option presented to me but did go that route. Instead, I worked hard at my PT, and by September of 2012, I was out bowhunting. However, I dropped the draw weight from 62 to 52. On June 10, I am having another surgery on the same shoulder. No bowhunting for me this year due to 6-8 months recommended recovery time. Next year, still no crossbow hunting for me.

On June 18, 2012, I had right shoulder surgery - rotator cuff tear, tendonitis, and some bone spur was taken out. The crossbow was an option presented to me but did go that route. Instead, I worked hard at my PT, and by September of 2012, I was out bowhunting. However, I dropped the draw weight from 62 to 52. On June 10, I am having another surgery on the same shoulder. No bowhunting for me this year due to 6-8 months recommended recovery time. Next year, still no crossbow hunting for me.
Your the Man

Here in NB Canada their taking a different approach. The government has asked the opinions of both land owners and outfitters WRT ebikes. As opposed to just making a bureaucratic approach. As of right now you can hunt with an ebike anywhere on crown land and with permission of land and outfitters. In fact you can even carry a loaded gun on a regular peddle bike but not an ebike. Last fall I used my ebike for partridge hunting. In my case it was definitely an advantage. Had my bag limit within 10min. All the others on that logging road were missing out as the birds would walk into the heavy bushes at the sounds of vehicles. I use a cheap 20Gu single shot that folds in half. Fits in the side pannier just fine. This spring I've been bear hunting with mine. No luck just yet but I'm not putting a lot of miles on it either. As soon as I get my RV parked at the lake I'll start my fabrication of a single wheeled trailer.

Attachments

• A46F333C-E369-4A9D-975E-E700309DE760.jpeg
    A46F333C-E369-4A9D-975E-E700309DE760.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
In Michigan there is a wilderness area off limits to anything that has a wheel or wheels (except a wheelchair). I messaged the US Forest service to ask them the rules if horses are allowed. Waiting to hear the answer...
At least the rules are pretty simple to understand in this area. If I get a response I will post it. All of this talk about motors, wheels and horses made me think of this area. I have been there two times in my life. The first time was a year after they opened and the second time was just a few years ago. No wheels and no motors but I still found well beaten paths with erosion in areas. I don't recall any horse sign.

Here in NB Canada their taking a different approach. The government has asked the opinions of both land owners and outfitters WRT ebikes.
In essence, that is what the memo directive in #4 and #11 is supposed to do but Montana has NOT taken any action.

Sec. 5 Implementation. I direct the Assistant Secretaries for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, Land and Minerals Management, and Water and Science, as appropriate, to do the following:

Within 14 days of the date of this Order, unless otherwise prohibited by law or regulation:

To the extent existing regulations allow, adopt a Bureau/Service-wide policy that conforms to the policy set forth in Sec. 4 of this Order; ii) Amend or rescind any prior written policies as appropriate;

Instruct the Director, Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to develop a proposed rule to revise 50 CFR 25.12 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition for e-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from falling under the definition of off-road vehicle;

Instruct the Director, National Park Service (NPS) to develop a proposed rule to revise 36 CFR 1.4 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition for e-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of motor vehicles;

Instruct the Director, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to develop a

proposed rule to revise 43 CFR 8340.0-5 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition for e-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of off-road vehicles or motorized vehicles; and

Instruct the Commissioner, Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) to develop a proposed rule to revise 43 CFR 420.5 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition for e-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of off-road vehicles.

Within 30 days of the date of this Order, submit a report to the Secretary including:

A summary of the policy changes enacted in response to this Order;

A summary of any laws or regulations that prohibit the full adoption of the policy described by this Order; and

A timeline to seek public comment on changing any regulation described above.

Within 30 days of the date of this Order, provide appropriate public guidance regarding the use of e-bikes on public lands within units of the National Park System, National Wildlife Refuge System, lands managed by BLM, and lands managed by BOR.

Read post 42. The whole point is E-Bikes are low impact, the use of any transportation whether on foot or not is the responsibility of the person. Many older hunters can now hunt more safely and from my perspective absolutely no difference than a horse. To compare to a motorcycle is ridiculous, heck a horse is a lot faster. And yes I owned horses, was a blacksmith when I was in my 20's, rode rodeo so I am quite familiar with horses along with the damage they do to the environment.
PSI on the ground for a 4-wheeler is a lot less than a bicycle or a motorized bike so the damage is far less. Less ground pressure is less disturbance of vegetation and surface disturbance that makes ruts and washouts so if this is truly the reason that they are illegal on government property bikes should be illegal also. IMHO. Happy shooting.

So, how do you feel about 100% disabled veterans who can barely walk 100 yards because of back injuries suffered on active duty using a device like an e-bike in the back country? We're certainly paid our dues, so to speak, for being on public lands.
I am sorry that you were injured. Many a joe has been injured whether they deployed or not. Hunting is not for everyone just as 11B is not for everyone. There are hunting programs for deployment injured troops. There are make a wish hunts for civilians. They have accommodated such limitations. I volunteered more than once, nobody owes me anything for my service. Eventually I will not have the capacity to hunt, I recognize that and will adjust my activities for that time. I will not expect exceptions.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone using a Ebike for hunting, but I would make a mandate stating they must use some type of governor to regulate the off road speed, a fast walk would be the top seep off road.

Motor. Key word. I bust my *** hiking 3 and 1/2 miles on a closed road to motorized vehicles just to get to where I elk hunt. Then another mile or two hunting. Then killing a bull. No way I want electric motorcycles where I am. 406muley
I hunted north Idaho 2 years ago and there was no etiquette with the E bikers. They were on every road gated closed to motorized vehicles despite being illegal. The Forrest service couldn't possibly have enough officers to cite them or enforce the law. Really fun when you hike 3 or 4 miles on a gated road to your bale off spot and your passed by 4 ebikes. IMO they are an electric motorcycle, without the erosion damage done by actually motorcycles and ATVs. But should not be on a road that's posted no motorized vehicles.