Hunting Wilderness Areas Colorado

bjsiillinois

Where would be the best wilderness area to hunt and get away from people to hunt elk, and deer. Have Horses, and mules to pack in. If unit 62 doesn't look good this fall while scouting, may have to find another spot to go. Really want to get away from the crowd, and would be willing to pack in 10 to 15 miles if we have to. I had looked at the flat tops to hunt, but at 10,000 ft, really don't want to get snowed in. It does hold the largest elk herd though. Want to go to a area where I can buy a otc elk tag, and draw for a deer tag if possible. Want to keep my options open, if 62 doesn't pan out. Any advice?

I hunt flat tops 3rd season on horse back. You do not need to get 10 miles back to find elk and we see very few hunters.

I have hunted 2nd season also, but I prefer 3rd in over the counter units. We camp at the camp ground and ride out from there. Last year I killed a bull about 5 miles from the road. If there is weather I have seen elk a half mile from the road.

Last year I only saw 2 hunters while hunting in 9 days.

Fist season even though it is draw gets alot of pressure, which pushes the elk into the timber. If it is warm they really are not pressured to feed much during the day. Second season gets even more pressure, combine that with warm weather and the elk can be nearly impossible to find. Most people only hunt the first 5 days of the season and then there is 5 days between the seasons so the elk have about 9 days to start to relax a little. Not to mention you have a better chance of getting weather which always makes the hunting better.

I am sure these things are true no matter in any unit that has a good elk population.

I have around 7 elk and 5 deer need to make a move next year. What would you say for this amount of points.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.