Colorado Wilderness 6x6 Bull Elk

A well-earned 6pt to be proud of.

Have you posted a pic of the recovered 270gr ELD-X bullet? They obviously shoot phenomenally well from your rifle!

Here's a photo of the recovered bullet. I was surprised at how much this bullet mushroomed at a relatively low impact velocity.
1BBD0FDE-A88F-41B8-93E7-A1ABE01AA8FB.jpeg

Attachments

• 0470E2CC-38D7-4CF9-AD11-1AB01CB0B4D2.jpeg
    0470E2CC-38D7-4CF9-AD11-1AB01CB0B4D2.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 155
Timber,
Great hunt and thanks for those photos. That last shot of the creek valley is calendar material. Or maybe enlarge, frame it and hang it next to the mounted head.

I backpack hunt and know how difficult it is - and how rewarding. And yeah, I can never find someone to hunt with either.

Eric B.

Last edited:
That is the kind of hunt most people can only dream about, but only few git hunt this way. Thank you for sharing, those photos and that country is gorgeous so is the elk.

First Congrads !
What a amazing hunting trip !
The things we will do for excitement is incredible !
Second Congrads on a hell of a shot !
Sounds like you had it all figured out .
The memories you will have of this trip is Priceless !
Thanks for sharing!
I'm following the thread on the hornady 270 grain...I'm running the 285 eldm in one of my 338 Rums .

Here's another cool part about my 4th shot that I really like. Go back to post #9, the first pic I put up of me behind the bull. Look at the side of the tree in the upper right hand corner.

Below is a picture taken directly behind the tree lined up with where I was shooting from. I actually "missed" my wind call by about an inch or two on that last shot and grazed the tree. The bullet entered the neck expanded about the size of a nickle, and still got great penetration through the boiler room and into the gut cavity. I would never be crazy enough to take a neck/frontal shot from 1100+ on the first shot... but on the 4th shot? You bet. And why I love hunting with a big 338.

256F88BB-AC38-4BB5-817E-8F88EB75D092.jpeg

3584A8D2-DA1E-440A-AC20-52B0EF5E1880.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow you worked for that elk. Congrats and Kudos to you for getting all the meat out. If you never had to do that it's hard to explain how physically tuff it is to pack out a bull elk by yourself. Great job all around