San Luis Hills area Colorado elk hunting

Mnovak73

Anyone on here ever hunted the San Luis Hills Wildlife Refuge areas in Colorado?

I'm looking at access to a large private piece South East of Alamosa that buts up to the San Luis Wildlife refuge in unit 83, elevation is roughly 7100 to 8500 feet in the area.
I'm looking for hunters with experience in that area that can let me know if it's worth hunting or not? I've been told they have a lot of elk, deer and antelope throughout the area there, but I've never been.

Last edited:
Old post but yes. Hunted in that area, my experience is it can be really good or really bad depending on the area. That whole region is dependent on water and some years there is isnt much in some areas. If there is good water supply you should be fine. I am headed back to that area of CO this year

It probably matters which private properties the landowner you mentioned owns and the timing and amount of pressure there is on the private. Some private may have 0 elk while others may have more? It is very flat with very few trees close to the refuge. I would definitely get references and exact details.