Hunting Stock Design

Savage can be tough to find support for.

I put a Bell and Carlson on an old Flat Back and it worked well. Has the aluminum block. Not much of a long range style. https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1040

HS Precision has Savage stocks that can be be set up for long range.

The lightest and most espensive is Pure Precision.

Unfortunately McMillan and Manners have stopped making stocks for them. Although Manners may still do one for the SA Savage.

Another

Thought I'd post an update of the Pure Precision stock I got for my Savage. Still working on getting everything fitting together.
Excuse the clutter🫢
IMG_2265.jpeg

Howdy,
I currently have a MDT chassis rifle setup. It does have an adjustable cheek piece and a folding mechanism. However, in late season weather the aluminum is very cold.

What stock do you backcountry hunters prefer? Pictures would be great!

Attached are pictures of my current setup.
Savage 10
MDT Chassis
Carbon Six barrel, 22"
Shaw Ti brake
Leupold VX 5HD with Windplex reticle
100% prefer a chassis and I hunt all winter for predators. It can definitely be cold but it is rare my hands are not in a glove when it is below 30 and that's generally the high in the winter. I have zero desire to run a standard stock.
2021 Wolf.jpg

There are a few types of moleskin or adhesive backed camo fabric tape. Useful for quieting things down and keeping things like buckles quiet and also giving you a bit better purchase and warmth on hard cold objects.

For a hiking packing backcountry build, I'd be looking for a stock under the 26 oz mark. Preferably lighter which eliminates a chassis. Folding chassis are great for suppressed rifles where OAL is a factor.

I'll second the peak 44 with one caveat.
The ergonomics for the grip are excellent BTW.

I am not totally sold on the second generation recoil pad. seems to get rock hard in the real cold and deforms it not sitting just so in storage.

Almost too lightweight for a boomer.I did a 300PRC and it came out really light.

Recent Posts