Hunting Scope for .300 Weatherby??

Buano

Looking for recommendations for hunting scope for a stainless Model 70 in .300 Weatherby. Hunting would not likely be over 1,000 yards but could also mean close in hunting in the timber.

I like the idea of the Nightforce Velocity 1,000 reticle because I know sometimes a shot presents itself at 600 yards as soon as the scope is cranked up to 825 yards, but I'm completely open to suggestions.

Weight IS an issue as this is a carry rifle that will get dragged up & down mountains.

I can pay for a good scope but cost does matter.

Recommendations???

I put a 300 wtby stainless under a 4-12x50 swaroski scope and have happy with it, I might look at the new scopes that let you go to a lower power with a high power top end.

my friend ken has the same gun (not stainless) and he just put a leupold mark 4 4.5-14 x50 ILL TMR on it this last summer. It has the side focus and m1 turrets. its a great combo.

He shot a nice 6x6 bull this october with it!

Iv'e had a Ziesse Diavara 3-12-56 z-plex retical on 300 Wby. Accumark for 8+ years with zero issues also lifetime warrarnty if ever needed. I think is was about $1,800.00 new. There is some on Sampelist for $1,399.00. Ziesse also has a new retical that has I think up to 800yrd. hold over line.

I would say SCHMIDT & BENDER. look at thier PM series 3x12 Its on the heavy side, but what a scope. Or their 3X12X42 Percsion hunter model with p 3 reticle. I dont know what kind of distance you'll get out of it. They are built like tanks.

I defenatly would not spend a lot of money on a scope the was a second focal plane scope. I perfer the first focal plane because your accuracy is the same at any magnification from what I understand. The old Swarovski are nice to, but for some stupid reason they stopped making them.

Having a Swarovski and a Schmidt. I find Optics between the 2 a little clearer and brighter on the Schmidt. Bright by saying I am able to make out objects and their outlines better. Alot of people from what I understand the handful of high end scopes are coated to let certin types of light in for this.

I have the S&B on my 30-378 weatherby with a picatinny rail, It less than 11lbs right around the 10 marklightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.