Hunting Loads with Virgin Brass.

Nonway would I trust virgin brass on a hunting trip. Absolutely not.

4 shots @ 100 yds, fire forming virgin Lapua brass to an improved chamber. This would not make the cut for a hunting rifle...(cartridge coming soon to a gunsmith near you)...

23 shots fire forming virgin ADG brass to an improved chamber. Again, no love here for hunting...out of the question.

Oh come on now, you cant tease like that!

I've hunted with "new brass" ammo but it's not my preference for long range. I shoot all of my reloads over a chronograph while looking for that one tack-driving load. One thing that I noticed is that ammo fired with new brass often has higher SDs than the same ammo fired with a case that has been previously fired in the rifle and properly resized.

I have some new brass that measures .007" less at the datum point than once fired brass. There can be a lot of movement in a new case when being fired for the first time.

I've hunted with "new brass" ammo but it's not my preference for long range. I shoot all of my reloads over a chronograph while looking for that one tack-driving load. One thing that I noticed is that ammo fired with new brass often has higher SDs than the same ammo fired with a case that has been previously fired in the rifle and properly resized.

I have some new brass that measures .007" less at the datum point than once fired brass. There can be a lot of movement in a new case when being fired for the first time.

Funny how peoples experiences differ so much and still get the job done. More than one way to skin a cat comes to mind.

Lancetkeyon's posts show a fairly high degree of precision while FF brass to an improved cartridge of some sort. There's a lot more brass movement going on there than just FF to a chamber.

I don't care one bit if it's new brass or 10-12 times fired brass, I care that the load functions well and the accuracy and consistency is what I have decided I need. Often what I decide I need is well more than what is actually needed to get the job done with no concerns, and I think most of us do that. Put the load on paper at distances you want (and temps you will encounter if at all possible), if it makes the grade it makes the grade.

Funny how peoples experiences differ so much and still get the job done. More than one way to skin a cat comes to mind.

Lancetkeyon's posts show a fairly high degree of precision while FF brass to an improved cartridge of some sort. There's a lot more brass movement going on there than just FF to a chamber.

Actually - when a cartridge is being blown out to an AI configuration it should be chambered a few 1,000ths tight in headspace. This would give the case no room to move in the chamber. But yes, the case shoulder angle is changing.

I have also had very good accuracy when blowing cases out to 6mmAI. Eventually, I just hunted groundhogs with my forming loads.

The increased SDs, when initially firing cases, is a telltale of some inconsistency happening during combustion. However, it doesn't always equate to poor performance on paper. Oddly enough, some of my best groups with a 6mmBR had less than ideal SDs.

The increased SDs, when initially firing cases, is a telltale of some inconsistency happening during combustion. However, it doesn't always equate to poor performance on paper. Oddly enough, some of my best groups with a 6mmBR had less than ideal SDs.
This is common, and it's because powder nodes are less significant than barrel nodes.
With this, a fire forming load in brass of way different capacity can still shoot well.

In fact, fire forming brass can go right to tighter grouping than you will ever achieve beyond.
This occurs from flattening of the pressure curve(due to case expansion) -while also hitting a barrel node with the load.

It's still my contention that nobody should be hunting with unknown capabilities.

At what distance are we hunting? Obviously it's important to true your solver before you hunt with it, but there's that leeway zone or danger zone where a range that's off by 15-20 yards, or a velocity discrepancy of ~40fps could induce a miss or a wounded animal. It seems to me that inside of 450 or so, there is plenty margin for error on that part.

I would assume the OP isn't working with a new recipe and that it has been trued already, the only variable is that it's new brass instead of fired brass. It's likely the velocity will be a little slower due to the energy needed to stretch the brass, but one of two things will happen: OP goes to the range and finds that new brass causes the load to fall apart, which is incredibly unlikely, but perhaps he decides that it's only good out to about 400 before things open up too much. Or, he finds that his solver lines up all the way out to as far as he wants to shoot it. Either way, the proof will be in the pudding at the range.

It's still my contention that nobody should be hunting with unknown capabilities.
Was typing while you were. It's not obvious that the OP is testing a new load. He very well may be, but it isn't clear. It seems that the bulk of the responses here are making the assumption that he's used this load before, the only variable being it's in new brass. See my post above. If we find out otherwise, all bets are off and he needs to true it first. Whether that means with new brass or once-fired.

This is my proven load in my Tikka the only variable is the new brass. Groups yesterday were acceptable for my standards and where I hunt. I even had 2 shots that about went in same hole at 100 yards while my scope was on 4x. I like to practice 100 and 200 yards with my scope turned down because that is how I like it hunting. I only crank it up to 15 at the range.

Attachments

• EB4FB02C-4B0E-43B5-A91F-3CB5DDF60F75.jpeg
    EB4FB02C-4B0E-43B5-A91F-3CB5DDF60F75.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 474B2385-1F59-48FA-A9FC-437696F25D92.jpeg
    474B2385-1F59-48FA-A9FC-437696F25D92.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
This is my proven load in my Tikka the only variable is the new brass. Groups yesterday were acceptable for my standards and where I hunt. I even had 2 shots that about went in same hole at 100 yards while my scope was on 4x. I like to practice 100 and 200 yards with my scope turned down because that is how I like it hunting. I only crank it up to 15 at the range.

That's a good way to ascertain scope performance. Scopes would change POI on magnification change.

Some of the best 600 and 1000 yard scores I've had were with new brass. Add neck lube, Run em through a FL die and your GTG. I've always had to tweak loads slightly from new to once fired brass.