338 Lapua virgin brass

338edge

Here's my question. Has anyone noticed virgin brass out shooting once fired brass? Here's my rundown.
-338 Lapua accumark wby, bedded, trigger job
-lapua brass
-300 gr berger bullets
-atacr nightforce scope
-88.5 grs of H-1000
- velocity with virgin brass=2600, accuracy = one hole to 3/8 @ 100 yards 3 shots. Verified out to 840 yards with a .5 group. Es spreads of 2 sd of 1
-velocity with 1 fired brass = 2650. Accuracy = really close to the virgin brass but not quite as tight. Verified out to 840 yards. Accuracy .6 Es spread of 20 sd of 13

I'm using a redding full length bushing die with a 367 bushing,comp seater die. I just ordered the 363 bushing. I'm trying copy the neck tension of the virgin brass as that was the best accuracy lowest es spreads and a very low so . I think the more neck tension of the virgin brass caused the powder to burn more effectively.

Thanks, Corey

Wow..jumping from a .367 bushing to a .363!!! I'll bet the brass will measure .361 after you run it through the .363 bushing. Big jump!!

I would think that much would cause a major pressure upgrade...how's the primers look ? How's the bolt lift ? Brass growing much longer than before ? Case life comparable to before ? Too bad we all don't have a simple pressure measuring device..

I would think that much would cause a major pressure upgrade...how's the primers look ? How's the bolt lift ? Brass growing much longer than before ? Case life comparable to before ? Too bad we all don't have a simple pressure measuring device..
No to all the above. Primers look great. No pressure signs of any kind. In all the rifles I have loaded for virgin brass rules? My buddies and mine with custom barrels the same thing? We're not talking a lot of measurable differences in accuracy but some none the least.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.