Hunters thoughts on a 6X scope

bob4

I'm looking at a scope that's a 6-24x56. My closest shots could be 50ish yds. Is 6x gonna be a nuisance at 50-60 yds on deer and hog? Now I do shoot much further out and was thinking x 15 - x 18 but this 6x is a nicer scope.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a scope that's a 6x24. My closest shots could be 50ish yds. Is 6x gonna be a nuisance at 50-60 yds on deer and hog? Now I do shoot much further out and was thinking x 15 - x 18 but this 6x is a nicer scope.

IIWY, I'd go variable that will cover both requirements, i.e. Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP (there are similar scopes in SFP, depending on your personal preference and intended purpose), if this is within your budget, but that's just me.

IIWY, I'd go variable that will cover both requirements, i.e. Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP (there are similar scopes in SFP, depending on your personal preference and intended purpose), if this is within your budget, but that's just me.
I posted that wrong.
Looking at a 6-24 x56

You would have no problem with a scope set at 6x shooting 50 yards. The spec you want to check when looking at scopes is field of view at 6x.

I've used 6x at 50 yards and in before. It is workable but not optimal by any means. It does take a little longer to find the animal in the scope. Non stationary targets are a bit more of a pain too. Never shot a pig, but the ones I've seen were always kinda hyper and moving around quite a bit. If I shot a lot at 50 yards and in, I would get a 3x or 4x on the low end.

If your shots are not hurried 6x is not an issue. If you have to make quick shots or most of your shots are under 50 yards I am with Barrelnut( 3x or 4x).

If your shots are not hurried 6x is not an issue. If you have to make quick shots or most of your shots are under 50 yards I am with Barrelnut( 3x or 4x).

Agreed. In a practical hunting scenario 6x will do a lot more than most people believe. I've been running fixed 6x scopes for years and have never felt like more magnification was needed. I began with two Leupolds on different rifles, a 6x42 and a 6x36. I ended up keeping the 6x36 and getting an M1 turret installed. If you know your loads and hunt within reasonable distances, a 6x is more than able. Longest shot to date on a whitetail was at a layered 410 yards. One shot kill. I been able to stretch it out farther on 6"x6" square and 8" round hanging steel.

I just picked up a Sightron SII 6x42 in a trade and will keep boxed until I can acquire another rifle to put it on.

Personally, I just don't see the need for the latest $1000 optic with super zoom, illuminated reticle, range finder, etc. It just complicates things. Others may feel differently.

Thanks all. I'll have to think on this a bit more. My close in shots are in cut lanes mostly. Usually have the scope down all the way to 3.5. If the animal doesn't stop for a moment or 2 it would have to be a very fast shot and at that range I'm willing to bet I get busted for movement or sound.

Agreed. In a practical hunting scenario 6x will do a lot more than most people believe. I've been running fixed 6x scopes for years and have never felt like more magnification was needed. I began with two Leupolds on different rifles, a 6x42 and a 6x36. I ended up keeping the 6x36 and getting an M1 turret installed. If you know your loads and hunt within reasonable distances, a 6x is more than able. Longest shot to date on a whitetail was at a layered 410 yards. One shot kill. I been able to stretch it out farther on 6"x6" square and 8" round hanging steel.

I just picked up a Sightron SII 6x42 in a trade and will keep boxed until I can acquire another rifle to put it on.

Personally, I just don't see the need for the latest $1000 optic with super zoom, illuminated reticle, range finder, etc. It just complicates things. Others may feel differently.
I use 6X fixed scopes on most of my rifles. I was able get a Leupold 6x42 at discount,when I was working at a gunshop. The company Leupold put your name on the scope. This is one of my best scopes. The japenese made weaver fix 6 scope are also very good.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.