thoughts on zeiss conquest scopes

I've owned 4 Conquests, a couple 3-9x40's and a couple 4.5-14x44's. I currently still own the two 3-9's. I think they're the best thing going in their price range. The optics are excellent and the Z-Plex reticle is just right. I had to return one of the 3-9's recently because I suspected something had worked loose inside. It had been mounted on a .300 Weatherby for about 1000 rounds and had been bounced around in the scabbard on my ATV for 6 hunting seasons. I got it back just yesterday and put it back on the same rifle, which happens to be a .300 Win mag now. Zeiss replaced the erector assembly and my initial impression is that the optics are as good as ever. My only complaint is that it took 8 weeks.

I have a 3.5x10x44. Great optics for the Money, I paid less than $400. (online auction)

No problems yet whatsoever and I intend to buy a 3x12x56 this summer.

[ QUOTE ]
In their price point I think the Zeiss Conquest series scopes are the best buy on the market. I find them to be brighter and clearer than comparable Leupolds. Repeatabilty on the box test with the Zeiss Conquest has been spot on.

[/ QUOTE ] Yup, that's kinda how I feel too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Being a small dealer, I've had issues with the last three Conquests purchased. From adjustments not precise to cosmetics flaws. All 4.5-14x44mm. Actually a scope I had good luck with in the past on a couple of my personal rifles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another one to go back. A 6.5-20x50mm with adlustments that are 1" per click at 100 yds, when they work at all. Sent one in 12/20/06 with a cosmetic flaw (rubber around the eyepiece looked like it was put on by a six year old.) haven't got it back to date. Actually this was one of three that came in that same day, another was marginal but being a X-mas present it had to go under the tree. Lots of room for improvement with their qual control and customer service.

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of room for improvement with their qual control and customer service.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to highly disagree. Quality control is outstanding and customer service has been #1. We have not had any issues with quality control and customer service and we ship hundreds of Zeiss each year.

Wouldn't your customers take any issues directly to Zeiss for warranty work. If so you would not be aware of any problems. Do you even crack the factory seal and give them a look over? I personally sent three scopes back in the last six months and have at least one more to return. Two of these are scopes that I mounted and was trying to sight in when these problems arose. (adjustments not precise) Another a cosmetic flaw,
The last Zeiss was sent in for repair 12/20/06 and has not been returned to date. Anybody out ever had to wait that long for Leupy warranty work???
With my small volume, I'm having problems with 25-30% of the Zeiss scopes I buy. Why do I continue to sell them?? Once we get them sorted out, guys love em, including my self.
I don't make a cent bad mouthing Zeiss, just sharing my experience with their products.
Disagree all you want, I have the work orders that accompany the repaired scopes.

Bearless,

Do you provide a return period for purchases? I know Jon provides 15 days for a return if someone is not satisfied with an unused scope. I bought a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 and it had some sort of dust which was noticeable on 24x. I called Jon and he had a new one on the way before I had sent him the old one.

I'm sorry you are having such problems with the Zeiss Conquests they appear to be an excellent scope. I bought two from Jon and I have not had a problem with the 4.5-14x44 or the 4.5-14x50. I used to want more magnification and now I realize I need better resolution. Good luck I know it can be frustrating.

As barm has stated, we have a return policy that if a customer does not like the scope within the 15 days and it is unused they can call and return the scope. We do not open the factory seal on the Zeiss scope. We have no reason to. I would agree that they do not keep there scope in stock enough. Also, what we have found is typically if a customer has a problem with a scope they know within the first few months and typically they call us to find out what they should do. As stated in one of my previous post, we have had only 2-3 calls about the Zeiss. I am not disagreeing with you, just sorry to hear that you are having so much problems with the Zeiss.

Re: thoughts on zeiss conquest scopes

Just sharing my thoughts and experiences with Zeiss scopes.
I'm semi-retired, an avid shooter, hunter and I like to sell guns. If after purchasing a rifle, a customer is in the market for a new optics, I'll offer a scope of their choice at $10.00 over cost plus all shipping. I have sold 12 Zeiss scopes, all rifle-scope combos. Four have had or need warranty work, 33%. If I'm asked for my opinion, I still recommend Zeiss or Leupold, in that order and let it go at that
Of the 12 scopes, I personally mounted and sighted in 11 of them at no charge. Use their ammo, so I get to play with the new gun at no expense to me. Plus I have a range with target butts to 600 yds that I'll let them use, again no charge.
The scopes with mechanical problems are not unused, they were mounted and I was attempting sight in when I became aware that the adjustments were not precise.
Now, after discovering a scope problem and returning it to Zeiss for warranty repair at my expense. Then after remounting and sighting in, should a customer decide he is not satisfied with his scope, there would be a number of options open plus some suggestions from me at to what he could do with his new scope, none of which would be returning it to me.
For the record, my return policy is the same as my distributor, JSC. I quote from their catalog "Defective merchandise returns must be made directly to the manufacturer for repair or replacement."
Hats off to Jon and his fifteen day return policy. He is definitly bending over backwards to satisfy has customers.

Zeiss returned a scope I sent in for Warranty work, the rubber eyepiece looked like it was installed by a six year old on a Monday morning. Sent 12/20/06--returned 2/23/07.

My friend bought a weatherby like mine 338-378 weath mag accumark and put a zeiss conquest 6.5-20 on it.We went shooting I have a swarovski PH scope 6-24AO with TDS 30mm tube Iv'e put 140 rounds throw my gun so far with that scope shoots great Iv'e had thing loosen on the gun but the scope has been good no problems.My friend shot his 15 time's that day and some thing came loose in side the scope you could here it when you move back and forth.He returned it and got swarovski and payed more money for it but he's happy now.

I had a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on my .300 Wby that lasted about 50 rounds before it started to spray. Sent it back to Zeiss and they replaced with another. It lasted about 100 rounds before it went bad. I ended up returning it. Zeiss has some good glass, especially for the money. It was brighter than my older Leupold, but I do not think it liked the recoil. I have always owned Leupold's until I bought this Zeiss. My .300 Wby is scopeless at the moment....looking at other brands but may stick with what has always worked for me in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.