HS precision wsm oal?

shawnb

Looking at a rifle for sale that has a 5 round wsm magazine and im wondering what the longest oal is of a loaded round is in this setup.

Thanks.

snookntarpon

Hi Shawnb

I have a 300 WSM by HS
COAL is the main problem this rifle has. Max I can load is 2.850" or it will not fit in the magazine.
So heaviest possible bullet has been the Berger Classic @2900 fps.

Yes. Not very happy about that but it shoots them very well.
ToA

jman270

270 WSM and the max COAL is 2.85. It shoots the 140 gr NAB's into about 1/3 MOA so no complaints from me, I love the gun.

snookntarpon

Jman270
Don't get me wrong. i love the rifle but I would love to seat these and heavier ones a little further out but they don't fit in the mag...
the 185 are probably capable of more than I am with this rifle at this point in my daydreaming long range experience, but I would not mind a little more velocity.

shawnb

Thanks guys. I may end up selling it and puts in a wyatts mag box. Or i saw on ptg's website they have their own mag box that goes out to 3.1" for a short action. I would like to get some more info on that one.

jman270

SNT Yea I hear you. No 210's for you or seating the bullets out farther for more powder space but they sure do shoot nice.

LongBomber

I run the 230gr hybrid in my 300wsm, i get a 2665fps average from the 24" barrel of my htr, loaded to mag length with h4831. Realistically how much gain would you get from seating out? 100-150fps? Maybe? I would try doing some load development first, you may find your accuracy node is near the velocity you would get from the shorter mag anyways.

My groups are hovering around 1/2moa for horizontal and 1/4moa vertical, so I have no complaints.