HS PRECISION STOCK OFF 5R

They're $400 stocks new... So if you can find one, and you like the palmswell, go for it. I'd consider selling one of mine if you're interested. I have never shot the rifle it came on, so it's still brand new, and never been bedded. I was going to try to get $300 out of it (since they're $400 new).

Your talking about the full length metal bedding block like in the stocky stocks? And your saying the blocks shrink at a different rate than the action causing inaccuracy? That is some serious stuff!! What kind of accuracy difference have you seen?
The rifle I discovered this on was a solid competitor for our egg shoots. I was struggling ad thought my load wasn't up to it in the cold. I checked my action screws just on a hunch and they were at about 15 in/# instead of 55. I torqued them and it came right back to normal. I had been checking my rings for years because I've seen that happen with tally's in the past. After I found out about this I have seen quite a few guys have seen this happen.
I have stopped using Aluminum pilars and now use steel for the same reason. I know in my mind it helps but I cannot say I've seen it happen with pilars.

I used to buy them for $185 straight from Remington using the ROCSVC40 code. I bought a bunch of them.

I have an HS precision on my gen II 5R. It's tan with black specs. I really like HS precision hunter / varmint / 5R style stocks. They all have real clean lines, look good, have a great bedding platform (aluminum bedding block), tough, and feel good in the hands. The 5R stocks can support a varmint style barrel and completely free float it as well.

The ones with the palm swells take a little bit to get use to but not bad. If you can find the varmint stock without the palm swell, you're golden.

Check out the Axial Precison moving sale on Facebook. Lots of stocks on there pretty reasonably priced. I believe there are some of the HS 5R stocks on there.

I kept the HS on my .300WM 5R and had it bedded and spent $$$ on a better trigger.

I am very consistent out to 800yards on metal.....

Sure it's not a McMillan..... but I wanted to improve on the high end rifle I bought.

My set up is far and above better than my abilities so I felt I spent the money in the right things

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
I have the Remington 700 5R in 6.5 Creed and absolutely love the H&S Stock. I also have a custom built 338 RUM that I put an H&S stock on. The aluminum bedding is very rugged as is the entire stock.

I have a half dozen of the HS Stocks and love them. I have the old green ones, a tan one, and I just got a new one in black with red web. Beautiful stock.

I'm in Canada and have never seen any low temp affect. But I'm not shooting bench rest at -40, just coyotes and other varmints.

The basic bedding block in the HS looks like a perfect fit to the round action but it really isn't. If you use bedding transfer dye or tape, you will discover that it's a mild V-Block design that makes contact on a pseudo rail down both sides and also at the rear tang. ALL of mine are like that, or perhaps I should say were.... I have epoxy bedded all of them except the latest red web one. I'm fairly certain that I will end up bedding it too once I finish building the rifle. I am chambering it as I write this for a 222 summer varmint rifle. (I have one I re-painted in snow camo for this time of year).

I have found that the pseudo V-block bedding design is a bit temp sensitive. But I don't think it has anything to do with the difference between steel & aluminium expansion rates. While they do have different rates, I believe that wood or even bare synthetic would be much worse. While I do like laminated wood stocks and have several, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd ever take any wood stock over an HS style stock with a bedding block regardless of temperature. Humidity is MUCH worse with wood. After bedding the block to a perfect action fit, they are all as stable as I can detect at any temperature I'm willing to shoot at the bench in.

Oh yes, for those who don't seem to know, 5R is a type of barrel rifling. (5 lands with Ramped edges) It's not a rifle model or type.

Last, but not least, I LOVE the HS palm swells. I am a big guy with big hands and the grip and feel of the HS is simply awesome in my eyes. But beauty is in the eye of the "holder" ... ... LOL!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
I'd look into Grayboe stocks. For about $100 more than an HS takeoff you can get what in my opinion is a far better stock. Yes, I own 3 Grayboe stocks and have owned HS as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.