Howa/Weatherby Vanguard bedding help.

dakotakidd

If anyone has glassed in their howas/vanguards what have you done with the lug? I've read not to tape the bottom of it due to the shape of the lug and that's where the action screw torques too so you don't want a gap below the lug. It sounds right, but has anyone done it? It's going in a bansner stock. I'll float the barrel, should I bed under the barrel shank for a couple inches?

Last edited:
I taped the front, bottom, and sides of my front lug and it turned out great. I also bedded under the barrel shank for about an inch and a half.

I took lots of pictures along the way so let me know if you have more questions and I'd be glad to help

Do not tape the bottom, just as you have mentioned. You want it to be solid when you tighten the front action screw.
Of course, do not tape the back of the lug.

Tape the back of the action (behind the rear action screw) so that it doesn't act as a second recoil lug. I usually place 2-3 layers of tape there.

Personally, I never bed any of the barrel.

I have done lots of Vanguards, and put instructions on this site too.

I used pilars and taped the front and sides of the lug. I use kiwi neutral shoe polish for a release agent.

I haven't tried kiwi even though I have a tin of it. Just worried I won't get the coverage I need. I don't think I'll tape any of the recoil lug. I like the tape on the back of the tang area idea. I'll see how the stock fits and if it allows I'll put a piece or two there. The more I look at this action the more I see you WOULD NOT want tape on the bottom of the lug. One piece of tape would leave the slightest gap between the bottom of the action and the stock. Then when you torque it down you would stress the action by snugging it to the stock. So NO tape for me.

Do not tape the bottom, just as you have mentioned. You want it to be solid when you tighten the front action screw.
Of course, do not tape the back of the lug.

Tape the back of the action (behind the rear action screw) so that it doesn't act as a second recoil lug. I usually place 2-3 layers of tape there.

Personally, I never bed any of the barrel.

I have done lots of Vanguards, and put instructions on this site too.
Happen to have a link to your instructions?

I use plumbers putty for all the holes as well. For the shoe polish. It's easy to see when you coat the action and barrel. Put it on in a circular motion like your shoes or waxing your car. Let it haze a bit then buff it off. There isn't a thinner release agent that works as well. If your unsure just do another coat.
I have the sako inletting guide screws from Brownells for doing vangards. I'd highly recommend you get a set(for about 10.00 bucks) This makes aligning the action without inducing stress before the mudd and with the mud in place.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...e-screws/inletting-guide-screws-prod6644.aspx

If you are bedding the action. tape is a good Bubba way to go. They make releasing agents you paint onto the action and other places you don't want the bedding material to stick to. Tkaes several coats, but cleans off easily enough and you have a tighter bedded action than the tape gives you. And go God's sake, DO NOT use duct tape...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.