Howa/Weatherby Vanguard bedding help.

Like already said don't tape the bottom of the lug. Just the sides and front. I don't bed the barrel at all since mine is now barrel nut barrel

For release agent I use wax for toilet bowl. Costed like $2 and got enough wax for a hundred bed jobs and fills the voids I don't want bedding very nice.
Devcon metal plastic has been the nicest bedding I've used

I highly recommend checking out Nathan Fletchers website and ebooks. He has an excellent discussion on bedding the Howa/Weatherby and address the recoil lug issue.

I've used JB Weld Steel stick and mixed it with a little 5k lb expoxy to make it a it more malleable,but not runny. Takes a little practice but once it sets, well, it's like steel.
On another topic, flimsy synthetic stocks make me crazy, I've found that the hollow spaces in the forend can be filled with epoxy or fiber reinforced fiberglass. No twisty, floppy feel any more. Makes te forend heavier, so I get some old lead bullets I won't be using and put them in the hollow buttstock until the rifle balances were you want it. If you don't want them rattling around, put them in a baggy with some epoxy and stuff the baggy into the stock. It'll come out if you need to adjust the weight distribution.

I have some brownells acra-release I think it's called I've used in the past. I also have hornady one shot, never used it but people say it works well.

I've done three rifles with the Brownells Acra Release and very happy with the results. Spraying all the metal parts after prepping (shoe polish/wax) give me extra confidence that I am not going to have a problem getting the action out of the stock and that I didn't miss a place with the release agent. I've never done a Vanguard or Howa, however any rifle that I have done I always bed four-inches in front of the recoil lug and float the rest of the barrel. The last two rifles that I did, I relieved the entire barrel channel about one-sixteenth of an inch. I then masked the barrel with 2 layers of Brownells (2 inch) bedding/masking tape starting four inches in front of the recoil lug, applied the bedding compound in the entire channel. When the job is done you will have a very nice, .020 thousandths of an inch space between the barrel and the stock. I make a dam at the forend by wrapping molding clay around the barrel to prevent run out. And......no matter what I do, I ALWAYS mask off anyplace that I do not want bedding compound to stick to with regular masking tape; this includes the entire outside of the stock. For me it seems like there's always a place where bedding compound manages to hit and stick where I don't want it.

I've done a few rifles, just never a howa/vanguard, always Remingtons. I was just wondering how to go about the recoil lug beings how it has the action screw in the bottom of it. I think I have it all figured out. If this weather doesn't hold up the usps guy I'll have my stock today and maybe get it bedded tonight.

I spread some release agent onto a q-tip and swab the inside of the action screw threads in the action. Most of my rifles are Ruger 77s and they are a real pain because the action screw has to go in at an angle through a lot of bedding compound. I also use a light grease on the threads of the recoil screw, I've never had a problem getting the screw out after the bedding hardens up. Most everyone has heard all the nightmares about getting screws and the action out of the stocks because someone missed putting release agent somewhere. I also make some wooden scrapers about the size of Popsicle sticks with a sharp edge on the end, using them to get as much bedding compound that I can get away from the stock and barrel channel that I can, it makes getting the action out of the stock a whole lot easier.

Got it done. Think it turned out pretty good. If it would warm up I'll get out and shoot. Ended up bedding the shank. Will shoot and if it doesn't group like I want I'll try milling it out and floating the whole barrel. Came out at 6lbs 14oz
053E5BCC-724F-438D-BD55-EB0DABCCCDBA.png
8C8252E7-B036-4F38-A8A7-F6793D217CAC.jpeg

Got it done. Think it turned out pretty good. If it would warm up I'll get out and shoot. Ended up bedding the shank. Will shoot and if it doesn't group like I want I'll try milling it out and floating the whole barrel. Came out at 6lbs 14oz
View attachment 121215 View attachment 121214

Great looking job, what did you use for a bedding compound? Really a nice looking job and a really nice rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.