bedding a Wheatherby Vanguard

grant moore

\has anyone had any success in increasing the accuracy by bedding,, a Wheatherby Vanguard.. I have good groups until I hit about the 70 bullets shot.. Then I clean once I see groups starting to open up.
At 225 yards I usually get 1" to 1.5" groups out of this sporter. 7mm rem mag

Was thinking of bedding it but?????

I bedded mine with a new Boyds Stock and the difference was great. Barrel is now free floating and 80 % of the action now is touching some surface. Its no that hard to do if you order the Pro Bed 2000 Kit from Brownells. I think it made the gun more sturdy. My load development produced a .513 inch group where I could not do it with stock stock and no bed job.

own one in a 300 wby,never beded it yet,replaced factory trigger with a timney that really helped,one suggestion if you bed it pillar bed it. regards jjmp

I've bedded them. In addition to the trigger swap already mentioned I have bedded quite a few into Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks. I bedded the recoil lug of one into the factory plastic stock, but I have no idea if it would have worked as I purchased a B&C for that rifle shortly thereafter. You could try doing that, as it sure can't hurt. However, don't expect miracles with a plastic stock.

Thanks for the infor.. ya,, I am not convinced I will see any great deal of improvement with the bedding of a synthetic stock but wanted to ask.. As for the trigger, you are dead on,, I have several other Vanguards and I had to exchange trigger for Timney trigger,, great improvement.. just waiting for the next one to arrive so I can change it on my 7mm mag.

GM, I have bedded 2 Vanguards, 1 in a B&C Medalist and one in a Boyd's Classic. They both shot better than the black plastic (Tupperware) but the addition of the Timney trigger was the improvement I liked best. Neither were the Series II. I have not seen a post of a successful bedding of of a plastic stock. I tried bedding a Tupperware Savage stock for my son's friend who couldn't afford a new one, the epoxy would not stick. Be sure and not let your barrel get too hot may help. Good luck

You're shooting a $500 gun under 1/2 moa at 225yds. I'd personally leave it as is. If anything I'd change the trigger as others said that was their biggest improvment.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.