howa rifles

My wife is not happy with you, because you've sold me on building another howa ;) I hate digging out my metric gears for the lathe though.... ugh
Do you know what the maximum length cartridge you can fit in the Howa long action? I've heard that the magnum box fit around 3.5xx". TIA

Long ago owned (& wish I still had) an S&W branded Howa 1500 varmint in .223 Rem. Assembled a light weight 7.62X39 from a Howa 1500 Mini. In process of assembling a .224 Valkyrie Satern re-barreled Varmint using a Howa 1500 Mini action.
I like them a lot.

I have a Howa 1500 in .308 Win with a 20 inch barrel. The action is very smooth and it is very accurate...

Do you know what the maximum length cartridge you can fit in the Howa long action? I've heard that the magnum box fit around 3.5xx". TIA
I remember 3.600", but don't have it here to verify. It is now my hunting partners rifle (300wm). Not much of a howa anymore :)

Is the mag length 2.85" on the short action? Wanting to make a hybrid that is about like a fatter creedmoor and want to shoot 140s or 156ss. Thx

I have a 243,257wby,and 7rm.They all worked for me.What I started with.Gave 243 to son,loaned 7rm to his best friend for a few years.Might have to rework the 7 had alot of rounds down that one.

The newer Howas/vanguards have the 3 position safety. Safe and bolt locked, safe and can cycle bolt and fire. The new trigger on mine measure out just under 3lbs pull weight and clean break. Not a super trigger but nice, very nice for run of the price of the rifle. the actions are rock solid, beefy like a WIN M70 with a flat bottom, and cycle well. The extractor is a M16 style similar to what Seekins uses for their Havak or Bergara has on their rifles. No the action is not velvety/buttery nirvana but it cycles nicely without issue. You can get many different aftermarket stocks and many vendors make scope mounts for it, as well as trigger makers have replacements for them. Out of the box they shoot well. What else can we tell you?

I'm currently toying with either a Howa 1500 Mini Action 6.5 Grendel or a Ruger American Ranch with AR mags in 6.5 Grendel. More aftermarket support for ruger, but the Howa is hard to beat. Can buy barreled actions for Howa which I like.

Is the mag length 2.85" on the short action? Wanting to make a hybrid that is about like a fatter creedmoor and want to shoot 140s or 156ss. Thx
I want to say it's in the 2.9 range with AICS mags. But I'm not sure. For me I figured I'd use Winchester pushfeed M70 medium WSM action and that would get me into the 3.0XX range straight from the factory.

The newer Howas/vanguards have the 3 position safety. Safe and bolt locked, safe and can cycle bolt and fire. The new trigger on mine measure out just under 3lbs pull weight and clean break. Not a super trigger but nice, very nice for run of the price of the rifle. the actions are rock solid, beefy like a WIN M70 with a flat bottom, and cycle well. The extractor is a M16 style similar to what Seekins uses for their Havak or Bergara has on their rifles. No the action is not velvety/buttery nirvana but it cycles nicely without issue. You can get many different aftermarket stocks and many vendors make scope mounts for it, as well as trigger makers have replacements for them. Out of the box they shoot well. What else can we tell you?
Basically the top end of a Howa action is from the 700 Remington and a bottom is from the model 70 Winchester - the best of each.

My Weatherby S2 Vanguards in 30-06 & 7-08 are my most accurate of all my rifles & makes. Great trigger, bolt...Honestly didn't know that Howa was the same. Never had a Howa but maybe that will change in the future.

A buddy's Howa in 22-250 shoots lights out, i had a hard time picking between the Howa and a savage for a truck gun. ended up with the savage, but still really like the Howa's

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.