howa rifles

thanks that's all I need to hear.if weatherby feels its a good thing and you all do that what I will be getting.
thanks again for your imput on this.
gary b

Howa has been around a very long time, before teaming up with weatherby they produced a exact copy of the sako finnbear called the golden bear, you will also find the howa name with Smith & Wesson and Mossberg rifles, I've fit barrels to howa actions for years 17 to 416 Remington and even a couple in 338 lapua, I would not shy away from one for any reason

Both the long and short action can be opened up and lengthened nicely if you are handy with a mill and sheet metal work, the bolt stop will need to be altered, weatherby offered the vanguard in 300 weatherby, 30 years ago you buy a bolt stop for about six bucks, not sure you can find one now, I cut and welded the last one I modified

Several companies ate now making pre-fit barrels for howa rifles so you can fit them yourself with a barrel nut like a savage action. I am seriously considering this for my 257 vanguard that has a shot out barrel.

I have a Smith 1500 in 270wcf from 1974 vintage that was given to me 30 yrs ago it is a solid .75 moa rifle with multiple factory loads and has been for years.

Several companies ate now making pre-fit barrels for howa rifles so you can fit them yourself with a barrel nut like a savage action. I am seriously considering this for my 257 vanguard that has a shot out barrel.
Can you name a couple for me. I wasn't aware you could get pre-fits for Howa's. I have a couple semi-customs on Howa's and they are absolutely awesome shooters.
TYIA

My only hang up is lack of aftermarket stock support. I would want a mini action sitting in a game scout or eh1

Can you name
Can you name a couple for me. I wasn't aware you could get pre-fits for Howa's. I have a couple semi-customs on Howa's and they are absolutely awesome shooters.
TYIA

This is the info I found a few weeks ago when I started researching barrel options. I had no idea anyone was making prefit barrels either.

I've got a Howa in 223 with the 20" #5 fluted barrel as a "truck" gun for coyotes and it shoots 2 different factory loads sub MOA. My only complaint is that it is a 1:12 twist instead of 1:9. I took it out of the cheap hogue stock and put it in an MDT LSS chassis and it's even better. The hogue stock flexed a lot on the forend to the point that the stock would touch the barrel when shooting off a bipod.

I have a vangaurd 300 wby. It was a great shooter and is now ready for a new barrel. The only negative is the max cartridge length for mag feeding is 3.575. I'm not sure how they are doing the 300 prc since the standard coal is longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts