Howa Rifles

i have friend that built a 7mmRUM on a 338 win gun.had the mag.lengthen ,the gun is about 16 pound,and he has no trouble,and is very happy.george

Not very helpful but thanks.

Both my Rifles are Howa 1500's. Trust me when I tell you that you will not find a factory rifle at the same price point that shoots as good. The new ones even have two stage triggers in them now and the .308 has a 10 twist barrel. If you want to out shoot a Howa you better have deep pockets.

Last edited:
Montoure county rifles(Kevin Cram) 300 win mag, barrel paint by me, extended mag box by Kirby Allen, action is a HOWA and its awsome I could not be more pleased. I like the HOWA more than any other rifle I have. I has alot going for it intagrated recoil lug fluted bolt, great trigger and lots of aftermarket support. I shoot VLDs from the mag but that can only be done with the mag box conversion.
0042-1.jpg

Howas are great rifles, I have no problems working on them. They have a shorter mag then what is ideal for a Rum or Edge though.

Montoure county rifles(Kevin Cram) 300 win mag, barrel paint by me, extended mag box by Kirby Allen, action is a HOWA and its awsome I could not be more pleased. I like the HOWA more than any other rifle I have. I has alot going for it intagrated recoil lug fluted bolt, great trigger and lots of aftermarket support. I shoot VLDs from the mag but that can only be done with the mag box conversion.
0042-1.jpg
I have the same Roedale brake on my .308. When I squeeze the trigger the gun literally doesn't move. How is it on that big magnum

If you don't already have a Howa, you can pick up a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby caliber, and the longer box would work out better...338 RUM will avoid the mag length issue.

But just don't shoot the Weatherby...you might like it.

TC

G'day mate,

Here in Australia Howas are regarded very well, people are having great results with these rifles.

Mine is a Howa 1500HB in 22.250 and is exstreamly accurate with some very good groups coming with handloads .3"-.5" being very very common. I've even shot a few groups of .5" at 200m with this rifle, I couldn't ask more from a hunting rifle.

I was out hunting foxes with a mate and nailed one at 248m under the spotlight straight through the shoulders, I also did some range testing at 260m with it and shot 2 rounds only and both were almost in 1 hole!

Howa's have a very good reputation for being very accurate (best kept secret in the firearms industry) I know quite a few people who have decided to give them a go and have been very pleased with their decision to the point that Howa's are the only rifle they will buy now. For the money trust me you won't be disapointed at all, these things often outshoot rifles with price tags of 4 or 5 times their price tag! I put mine up against a Sako 204 custom with a Heavy target barrel and lets just say the owner was some what amazed at how well the Howa shot compared to his rifle!:D

There is a company in Germany I think from memory, that specalise in Customising Howas! for target shooting, that's got to be telling you something! Lots of Custom Rifle Makers recommend Howa Actions for Building top quaity custom guns off, again that's got to be telling you something!

I just bought the Barreled Action and then imported a Boyds Thumbhole stock in the colour "Pepper" fantastic stocks nothing to do other than drop the action into it, other than some trigger work the rifle is standard, no bedding work at all. The scope is a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and is brilliant couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

• 22.250HB howa.jpg
    22.250HB howa.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Howa 22-250HB .317 group.jpg
    Howa 22-250HB .317 group.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Howa 22-250HB .392 group.jpg
    Howa 22-250HB .392 group.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Howa 22-250HB .517 200m group.jpg
    Howa 22-250HB .517 200m group.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Howa 22-250HB .815 group.jpg
    Howa 22-250HB .815 group.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Your welcome mate, great rifles hey! The coin you see there is about the same size as you 1 cent piece!gun)

This is the second Howa I've owned and the last one was just as accurate with handloads, It needed the barrel freefloated (back in the old days they never bothered with it like most manufacturers) and it would spray bullets around a bit, but once that was done perfect, it started shooting .3" to .5" @ 100m as well!

The Howa actions are very well made, solid, quite smooth (could be smoother with some polishing). I can happily recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.