How was your 2007 handgun season?

look what you got yourself into... I'm planning on riding my bike a lot more, just waiting for the temps to get above way too cold. Its hard to do much with the sleet, snow, and wind lately. I cant wait to watch the Giants and Packers attempt to play tomarrow.

Way to cold ___ up there!!!! Zuba, man you gotta get tougher, I bet Zuba SR doesn't think it is too cold!!!!!
nmhunter
sure do love this GA weather ( even if it did snow here today)

hunlee not likeing cold weather at all.No shoot at range no outside stuff so hunlee just stay inside an spend money on barrel and scope

hunlee

Way to cold ___ up there!!!! Zuba, man you gotta get tougher, I bet Zuba SR doesn't think it is too cold!!!!!
nmhunter
sure do love this GA weather ( even if it did snow here today)

You got it Tom, I was out before light with temps somewhere around -10*F with 10-20 mph winds in search of the mighty coyote. It appears he was out last night hunting everywhere I went and was hiding on me by daylight. :-((((
I did have some turkeys walk nearby but couldn't get any pics.
At least I had the area to myself just a few hikers/XC skiers were out today. Public land sure is tough.
If I wasn't so tired I'd be out tonight hunting under the moonlight, sure is fun at night, just look out for those owls.
I managed to get a buck and doe antelope and a big doe deer here in WI.
SecondRichBartmanAntelopeHunt200714.jpg

SecondRichBartmanAntelopeHunt200700.jpg

112507019.jpg

I had a dandy of a deer hunting season in PA. Dropped a doe on the opener to get out of the rain. Used a SSK Contender 45-70 Gov't. No pics of that deer...the 45-70 brass made it look kinda small!

With one doe tag left I wanted to reserve it for the opportunity to extend my personal best "long shot" record with a handgun. Previously it was 377yds. This year I wanted something over 400yds. On day two I was just sittin' along side my fire, munchin' some crackers and feelin' kinda drowsy when four deer came leggin' it across the strip cut and stopped where they apparently felt safe. I hit them with the 20X Burris to check for antlers. All were bald, ranged the largest with the RX4 (460yds), dropped a cartridge in the chamber, held the 3rd SU (calc'd at 498yds)of the 3-12x32 Burris just under her heart and sent the 162gr A-Max across the valley. She was quartering to me a little farther than expected. I clipped the near-side lung, through the liver, gut and exited the front edge of the right side ham. She ran forty yards and immediately laid down. After a few minutes her head dropped for good. I watched for 20 minutes until satisfied she was done then made the trek to get her. The gun was a XP-100 built by Allen Precision Shooting and is chambered in 7mm-270WSM. This is my longest deer with a handgun by nearly 100yds. It also beats my longest rifle shot by 15yds.

100_1826.jpg

With only a buck tag left I was in my little hidey hole on the 12/6.....not long before lunch, munchin' an apple, fire kickin' to keep me company (and the fact that it was 6* when I set up made greatly welcome) but this time I had a hunting buddy walking the other hillside looking for deer. He likes to push'em and I like to shoot so we work well together. I was content to make sure the fire stayed lit!

He just hit the upper end of the cut when he called and said he was coming back my direction...then he said "deer", hangs up and then I hear "boom....boom". Back on the phone and says he missed. While he was dogging around I watched about 15 different deer sneak all around him including a little buck that gave several shot opportunities around 430yds. I let him walk. Just as Rick called back to report the misses, a doe and the little buck coming running across the cut in my direction and into the creek bottom (only about 50yds wide). I turn the scope to 5X as the shots would likely be less than 150yds. A few seconds later he pops up on my side of the creek bank and presents a broadside 150yd shot. After a brief (and I mean BRIEF) look to make sure he met the "3pts per side rule" in my area of PA, I let the 162gr A-Max fly. That dumped him instantly. This was the closest deer I ever shot with this gun...the exit hole was a sweet 2" circle and had nearly half the right side lung hanging out!

100_1831.jpg

hunlee like to see picture of deer and other animal that hunter get with pistol.Allso amazed to see pistol with big rifle scope mounted on them.One muss be very carefull when shootin them to avoid black eye.Once hunlee get new barrel an scope maybe next dollar spend will be computer camera

hunlee,
In LR Comp's like at Sundance and in many hunting situations where SP users are prepared to shoot at longer distances it is common to see high mag rifle scopes being used. The majority of the barrels have brakes, which give the user an extra measure of safety.
Even with the brakes, i agree that caution is advised.

Hunlee notice from shooting rifle with scope eye clearance only 3 to 4 inch.When move back away from scope picture in scope tube become smaller looking black around outer edge.You pistol shooter with rifle scope shoot with full view or you make view smaller?This interesting to hunlee as never shoot pistol with rifle scope.Any thing you can tell hunlee wood be appreated

hunlee

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.