How to stay dry and warm during deer season?

After many different types of raingear over the years, I've settled on Kuiu Ultra NX bought on closeout(they discontinued it). Waterproof enough for PNW coastal rain and it rolls up small to carry in pack and deployed when needed. If you just want to sit out a squall then a poncho might be best.

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
I backpacked and hiked in the Wa and Or Cascades for many years, some of it in inclement weather. I tried the old and the new. If it's raining and you are working hard, you are going to sweat and waterproof gear holds the sweat in as well as it keeps the rain out, so your are wet at some level regardless. You can alleviate this a bit by using a poncho and keeping it loose and manually ventilating it. You have to pick your clothing to keep you warm while wet. Wool is best in all layers, merino wool is great underlayer. I've found that synthetics get wet, the "wicking" is minimal, and they have no insulating value when wet - worthless. Goretex and other magic fabrics may do a little good, but must be well ventilated and still leave you wet from internal moisture - maybe better than an equivalent plastic or rubber garment. I've worn heavy down while hiking in cold winter (-15 to 0), sweated it through the seams and yet stayed warm in the wind. Can't explain that. But I didn't stop outside on that one.

I finally settled on a Goretex mountain parka over wool. Very good is an old WWII military poncho, which can be worn over a pack to allow some ventilation, but it'll still "rain" inside. It's good for travelling light as it doubles as a tent and parka.

I've never been able to avoid sweating if I'm active. When you stop, you're cold, but much less so if your wearing wool and have a dry warm garment to put on over that. A good down vest will pack down well and weigh little, fits under a parka, very useful but must keep it dry, so take it off before exertion and have a stuff bag for it. Overall, if it's raining hard and you are active, you are going to be wet near the skin. Wool is best for that. I had a top quality long-sleeved medium weight merino wool t-shirt that I wore for years; it could be soaking wet and still retain warmth if you squeeze it out.

It's a difficult problem. I believe physical conditioning makes a big difference in your tolerance. I've read of high altitude mountaineers and polar explorers trying to keep a slower pace to avoid sweating. Some people might be able to do that, not me.

For your feet in the muck boots. Try wearing a pair of polyester socks under your cotton or wool socks. I heard pantyhose work well but I could never find the feminine side of me to try them. lol
Thin silk socks under thicker wool socks is dynamite for keeping feet warm. If you start with warm feet and warm boots, that's hlep for day excursions. Boots depend completely on what your terrain and purpose is.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 11
One other thing I've carried strapped to my pack for years is a telescoping umbrella. It's about 2×12" when not in use. I like it to block wind and rain when I stop to watch a trail or clearing. Only a couple bucks at a thrift store and mine are neutral colored.

What do you guys pack for rain gear if your hunting cold weather. I never wandered more than a few miles from camp/truck, also never had the $ to buy any fancy hunting clothing that's actually WATERPROOF.

I been stuck in the rain, in the cold. Truth is if I wasn't within range of a camp to get my clothes changed or if I got stuck in the woods with what I been wearing all these years, I'd probly be dead.

Yes fire capability and food/water I keep both with me. But I got stuck in a cold rainstorm close to home. Wet enough that the next day my rifle froze up.
I learned a lesson that day.
That's its a good thing I know better than to go miles out on foot. If I had to overnight out there it wouldn't have been good trying to thaw myself and a frozen rifle out.

I don't carry things like a tent.

But an emergency blanket is small enough.
Emergency poncho? Idk

What are the options for affordable rain gear that ACTUALLY stays dry. Cops that do road duty and stuff must have info on this. All I imagine is a rubber suit.

Do you wear waterproof bibs?

I've always thought its hard to find a balance of something you can walk a few miles in, and still be dry and warm.

Traditionally wool pants and wool jacket up north.

I've been cold and wet in that too.

I've got the knee high high insulation muck boots. My feet get cold in them too, I have poor circulation (obviously!). But those are good for the snow.

I bought some super thick merino wool, for extreme cold.....its warm but when you start walking hard with that on it wears you down and you sweat.

I guess I should have said balancing walking clothes with still hunting/setting in a stand or out in no enclosed area....hard to have a setup that works for both. I always end up cold and heading back to camp after a few hours.
I've read all the posts so far. No one likes getting soaked while trying to have fun at hunting/fishing. I've hunted/fished all over the world, in all kinds of climates, and there is NO best way to keep dry AND completely mobile. It's a trade off between bulk, warmth, silence, cost, and many other issues.

The one thing that seems to be lost on almost everyone here is preventing hypothermia. This can and does happen at 80° F. Believe it. I've had it and seen it in others many times. More often than not, if you get it, it might be too late. You better hope you have a buddy nearby to help and care for you. Myself and others have been called in to find and haul out more than one hunter/fisherman than didn't prepare for possible hypothermia. Workable wet weather gear doesn't have to be expensive, just usable.

Please don't be one of those guys and add to a preventable statistic.

Stay safe and have fun.

I've read all the posts so far. No one likes getting soaked while trying to have fun at hunting/fishing. I've hunted/fished all over the world, in all kinds of climates, and there is NO best way to keep dry AND completely mobile. It's a trade off between bulk, warmth, silence, cost, and many other issues.

The one thing that seems to be lost on almost everyone here is preventing hypothermia. This can and does happen at 80° F. Believe it. I've had it and seen it in others many times. More often than not, if you get it, it might be too late. You better hope you have a buddy nearby to help and care for you. Myself and others have been called in to find and haul out more than one hunter/fisherman than didn't prepare for possible hypothermia. Workable wet weather gear doesn't have to be expensive, just usable.

Stay safe and have fun.
Even Cabelas Dry Plus works very well. At least it did before Bass Pro bought them out.

Stay safe and have fun.
Hypothermia has to do with conditioning and fatigue as well as temperature. Feed up with warm food before going in. Monitor your fatigue level - quit and get out before you're tired. Be prepared to do a comfortable bivuoac and do it before you're tired, leave energy for cooking, and have the necessary gear. Warm food is a lifesaver. Once they've downed game, hunters are committed, meaning there's work that has to be done before you go home. This doesn't fit with poor conditioning.

If you go hypthermic, you're incredibly weak, mentally fogged or worse. You must have heat, either from hot food or warm surroundings - your body is already at the point where it can't generate heat on its own. You'll die if you don't get heat, and if you're fully hypothermic, you can't do it alone. Turn back or camp while you're still feeling good. High altitude mountaineers sustain hypothermic conditions as a matter of course; many can't force themselves to eat at the extremity, the ones who live manage to heat and drink 4 liters of warm water a day. They are well equipped for clothes, but are usually at the environmental limit of their clothes. They survive, those who do, through good judgement and good conditioning. Some shelter, a stove, some fuel, a couple cans of chili and most importantly some foresight can save your life. Don't forget the matches - disasters have happened because someone who direly needs matches forgot his. Don't hesitate to eat cold food if you can't warm it.

Hypothermia has to do with conditioning and fatigue as well as temperature. Feed up with warm food before going in. Monitor your fatigue level - quit and get out before you're tired. Be prepared to do a comfortable bivuoac and do it before you're tired, leave energy for cooking, and have the necessary gear. Warm food is a lifesaver. Once they've downed game, hunters are committed, meaning there's work that has to be done before you go home. This doesn't fit with poor conditioning.

If you go hypthermic, you're incredibly weak, mentally fogged or worse. You must have heat, either from hot food or warm surroundings - your body is already at the point where it can't generate heat on its own. You'll die if you don't get heat, and if you're fully hypothermic, you can't do it alone. Turn back or camp while you're still feeling good. High altitude mountaineers sustain hypothermic conditions as a matter of course; many can't force themselves to eat at the extremity, the ones who live manage to heat and drink 4 liters of warm water a day. They are well equipped for clothes, but are usually at the environmental limit of their clothes. They survive, those who do, through good judgement and good conditioning. Some shelter, a stove, some fuel, a couple cans of chili and most importantly some foresight can save your life. Don't forget the matches - disasters have happened because someone who direly needs matches forgot his. Don't hesitate to eat cold food if you can't warm it.
Good points all. Hypothermia can strike the best conditioned and prepared folks. Keeping dry and controlling your body temperature and dampness is crucial. Keep your blood sugar in bounds, stay hydrated, and be mindful of conditions. But most don't carry the items you mention on hunts. Unless it's a planned overnighter.....If you get caught out unawares, you are in for a rough time/night.

One item that may help is to carry a handful of good protein bars. Not very bulky or heavy and they provide lots of energy. Keeping hydrated is sometimes difficult. Most don't like packing the weight of water. I've succumbed to dehydration while hunting in sub artic. That dry cold climate can be deceiving. It's takes more fuel to melt ice or snow for water that you can comfortably carry.

As always, get yourself prepared. Physically and mentally. Have a plan for survival at all times. Make sure someone knows exactly where you are going. Don't be a statistic.

Last edited: