How To Photograph Your Big Game Trophy by Troy Adams

That is a really great article and has lots of things I didn't know.

The part about cleaning up your site before taking the picture I had figured out too late last year. Here is a picture of an antelope I shot last at very long range and was very proud of. The half drunk bottle of Coke right in the middle of the picture just really makes me mad every time I see it. I spent a good bit of time trying to get things right (but didn't know about "worms eye view" and not using the telephoto lens). I could crop or edit it, but I would still remember being careless with my camera

1140-4_edited.jpg

BuffaloBob, glad to know you learned something. That coke bottle can easily be removed with PhotoShop, but like you said it serves as a good reminder. I do have to say that stock on your rifle is absolutely killer looking though. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more photos of that rifle from different angles. What are some of the details about that great looking rifle?

That is a Joel Russo stock. Joel is a good person and his stocks are great.

He just built me a "one of a kind" thing which I will probably get ready for public viewing in early July.

He makes a laminated A3-A5 hybrid which to me is like a thumbhole in the way it feels so comfortable and natural but doesn't have the disadvantages of the thumbhole. It has all the advantages of the A5. I don't have one yet and that is something that needs to be remedied

Best of all, Joel shoots a 240 Wby like me!!!!

The antelope was killed at 1140 yards and the shot was a little "far back" as they say. The rifle covers the entrance wound. The 115 Berger makes such an ugly exit even at that range that the animal had to be turned and drug a ways to "clean it up".

I agree with you about the need to clean the animal up. I had never thought about just cutting the tongue off. How simple some things can be. Some times I just really feel stupid and that is why this forum is such a great place

Do you have anymore photos of that rifle you used for the antelope. I just really dig the design and color or that stock. I should have known it was a Russo stock. I have looked into his stocks before and I am never disappointed. He seems to make some really good stuff.

I keep forgetting to post the pictures

Here are the two sides. The foreend is squared up so it is easy to shot from bags but I tested it from bags and bipod and POI was the same. The good thing is you can take a half round rasp (shoemakers rasp) and shape the thumbhole and grip to fit your hand and your preference in finger placement. I never misplace the trigger with this rifle because the thumbhole indexes my hand to be in the right place.

With a laminate if you sand through the layers correctly you can create "patterns". Joel can make them in any mixture of color laminates you wish. I just finished mine with sealer and Truoil. Other people use fancy automotive stuff.

This rifle has accounted for 8 antelope so far with yardages of 600, 686, 800, 860 and 1140. Only three under 500 yards.

240w7.jpg

240w6.jpg

First off, thank you for posting the photos. I'm impressed all the way around, that includes the rifle, the stock, the overall set up, and especially your shooting. Oh and Joel you make some absolutely killer stocks!

I dislike like the current rage insome outdoor pubs and tv shows of getting as far back from your trophy head as possible to make it seem larger than really is. I've seen 80# cub bears held up to look like a 600# boar. I know photos are all about perspective but this seems dishonest.

Troy,
Thanks for a good read. You hit it on the head, a few minutes preparing for the photos will pay off big time. I like to "shoot loose" for some images since so much stuff is used on websites etc. Lets the editor or webguy play with perspective a bit and always nice to show the habitat. Seems like many images are shot with the tiny digital cameras nowadays. You can see what you got right now. But those little cameras must be well supported or the image is soft, I like to hold my elbows tight to my side or use a rest if at all possible.

I just photographed with a bunch of guys, PH and trackers, who really knew how to prepare a spot and get the critter in nice positions. Sure makes for an easier shoot and nicer images. I always use a flash, period. No raccoon eyes and generally better lighting with the incredible flashes on cameras today.

You are fortunate to have such excellent hunting partners, boys and girls, in your family. Great to see the kids out with their dad. Thanks again for some great info.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.