How to make a switch barrel rifle

YOSEPPY

I'm looking at picking up a real nice custom .243 an was wondering how hard it would be to turn it in to a switch barrel. I'd like to have this a .243ai an then switch the barrel to a 6.5x47 lapua

Real easy with a Savage. All you would need is the two barrels, go/nogo gauges for each barrel, a barrel wrench, and action wrench. No real need for a barrel vise. And pretty sure both cartridges use the same bolt face, so good to go there.

I do this with a Savage 300 WSM sometimes. I have a heavy 26" bull barrel for long range and sometimes switch it out to a 300 WSM magnum contour barrel for woods work.

YOSEPPY,

There are two basic styles of Defiance actions:

- One uses a washer-style recoil lug like the Remington 700 but it will have 2 pins.

- The other has an integral lug machined into the receiver.

Either will work just fine because the lug goes back to the same position every time. This is important because of bedding.

You will need a barrel vise, a properly sized bushing and an action wrench to change out the barrels. Be sure to have the barrels marked and indexed so you can return them to the same headspace ever time as well.

On the surface this appears to be a great idea to save money on individual rifles. However, after switching barrels a few times you might consider getting both as separate rifles...

Regards.

Every rifle I build is set up to be switch barrel. A switch barrel is way easier on a pinned lug action like your Defiance. No gauges needed. No nut needed. Depending on how tight you want the barrel determines the level of tooling needed to switch the barrel. Benchrest guys commonly run them hand tight.

What HiredGun said is the way I do my Rems, but I will add that pinning the recoil lug is only part of what I do, I also use David Tubb's .250" thick tapered recoil lugs and machine my barrels to suit so I can get the headspace right, even with the original factory barrel.
To be sure that the headspace is correct each time I switch between barrels, I also have index marks and I only snug just past hand tight to the marks.
I have switch barrels on Rem 700's, Kinmder 8400's and Win Mdel 70's, each require a slightly different approach, but essentially are the same in regard to headspacing.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.