How to handle problems with gunsmith?

Your barrel is junk. Dont know why or how but she might shoot enough for to do two hundred but on this forum that is junk. Pay the smith learn your lesson, let others know your exp of erience truthfully and call chad dixon longrifles in south dakota, if he has or can get a tube will be fast turnaround. Good luck

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the replies. The reason I am mad about this situation is because I asked a "Professional" his opinion on this gun. I thought it might be shot out, but not sure. If I would have saw the barrel that looked like this, I would have told the customer that he shouldn't be putting more money in this rifle and it needed a new barrel. Instead he led me to believe everything was good and we even pillar bedded this turd. I went and talked to them about it and that didn't get me anywhere. Just everybody mad. I have since went and bought a new rifle, 338-378 Weatherby, and have moved on. I will look at getting a new barrel on this rifle next spring and start all over.

Thanks

Thomas

Howdy. I see its been awhile since you bought that big, bad 338 378 Weatherby! How are you and it getting along ?! I'm building one, or trying to, anyway. And that is how I got here- I'm having having trouble with the smith, and not sure how to proceed. He is (by all accounts) talented; he just has stopped communicating w me. Won't answer his phone, or return calls, or answer emails. All of which frustrate me to no end. I'm thinking of giving him one more week of silence on my part, then try contacting him, and if no response continues, go and collect my stuff. He's had my action since May, and all the parts since Sept 13. If anyone can supply some kind of insight here, on this site, I would really appreciate it. I'm pulling the last of my hair out, and i dont really want to upset the guy, you know? Thanks, Gregg

call the smith from a new number, use a fake name and make an appointment to meet at his shop to discuss a new build. Show up and get your stuff.

I don't know when hunting season is in Arizona but in Oregon it was deer all last month and now elk through next weekend. Not much gunsmithing getting done when the smith hunts.

Thanks for the reply, and yeah, I realize that. Our rifle seasons end in Dec, and for that reason I'm trying to remain calm, and not make waves or make him mad. It doesn't seem reasonable, to me, to not take a min to answer an email. Am I wrong ? And am I being a pain by trying to stay in contact ? It's not like I call him every day....mostly once every week or two. Went 8 weeks, and no contact from me, in the begining. Are all rifle builders that busy at this time of year ? I don't know, is why I'm searching for input. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply, and yeah, I realize that. Our rifle seasons end in Dec, and for that reason I'm trying to remain calm, and not make waves or make him mad. It doesn't seem reasonable, to me, to not take a min to answer an email. Am I wrong ? And am I being a pain by trying to stay in contact ? It's not like I call him every day....mostly once every week or two. Went 8 weeks, and no contact from me, in the begining. Are all rifle builders that busy at this time of year ? I don't know, is why I'm searching for input. Thanks again

Good Smiths are busy all the time but they have schedules for every ones rifle if they are being truthful and your smith should have given you the start time for your rifle and the completion
within a week or two.

Never pay all the money up front, Just the money to pay for parts that he orders. This way he has incentive to finish (When he finishes, he gets the rest of his money).

There is no reason to avoid you and he should want to settle with you. If you are unhappy with his work you should go by and pick up your rifle and pay for the work he did and no more. take your rifle and go to another smith.

I feel I have a responsibility to explain in great detail what the owner can expect with the work he wants and what has to be done if he wants an accuracy guarantee then I will tell him what is
required and the cost. If he and I can't agree on "everything" I decline the work(With no hard feelings) And Offer to help him with any details he doesn't under stand.

It is always better not to do the work If the client is not going to be happy ,or better yet thrilled.

Building or improving a rifle should be a very exciting process, Not a disaster. From My point of view
it is both the Smith and the clients responsible to make it happen.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, JE Custom, and well said. Everything stated here is exactly what I think. Honesty and openess go along ways, in my book, and can help smooth the road . I reckon I'll be getting my stuff back. I sure appreciate all the help from this site. Seems like alot of good folks....
Gregg

Got an update here. I talked to Mr. Gunsmith ( who shall remain nameless, unless I get really, really, really impressed ) this morning. He said he has been out of the country for the last 2 weeks, and is planning on having my rifle done next week. This is very good news, and while somewhat fragile, my faith in humanity has been restored!!! Thanks again, everybody. Patience truly is a virtue...just not one I posess. I wanted to climb down his throat when I answered the phone, but restrained myself, and it seems that this may have netted some good results. I'll keep it current- some body may need some moral support like I did!

Here is my valuable lesson learned the hard way. Check out the smith you're going to use. Try to get a look at his work, before you commit. Do
Not jump just to get the ball rolling. If you get a feeling something aint rite, it probably aint. If the smith starts being kind of vague, collect your stuff, and go somewhere else. Get a schedule, he should tell you. Thanks to JE Custom for that last tidbit, vry sound advice. I did every thing wrong, and got burned.
I got my rifle back, and it looked ok at a glance. Futher closer inspection wasn't so good. I'll try and learn how to post pictures. I genuinely hope some else can learn from this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.