How to Get a 4x4 for NR Hunter in WY

Good post SB! That's basically what I was trying to get across to people who haven't been off the beaten track out there. You will not do anywhere near the damage to a road with chains that you will without them if it gets messy. The 6x7 bull we got last year was about 1/4 mile from a little two track on a small ranch and the old couple that owns the place let us go in with our 4x4 with all wheels chained so we didn't have a 3 mile backpack out with him. I was in the back of the truck on the way out with the bulls rack and quarters and was watching where we had been on the road as we drove back out. You could hardly tell that a vehicle had been through there. Without the chains we wouldn't have even attempted to go back in where we did because of the damage we would have caused.

Good post SB! That's basically what I was trying to get across to people who haven't been off the beaten track out there. You will not do anywhere near the damage to a road with chains that you will without them if it gets messy. The 6x7 bull we got last year was about 1/4 mile from a little two track on a small ranch and the old couple that owns the place let us go in with our 4x4 with chains so we didn't have a 3 mile backpack out with him. I was in the back of the truck on the way out with the bulls rack and quarters and was watching where we had been on the road as we drove back out. You could hardly tell that a vehicle had been thorugh there. Without the chains I wouldn't have even attemted to go back in where we did.

That's right. We're simply trying to help the newcomers from maybe making the same mistakes that we ourselves or people we know made at one time or another.

I'd much rather the people hunting my property have chains and stay on the road, than not have chains and driving off in the pasture because that's the only place they can get traction..........or worst yet, sliding off into some deep ditch and getting stuck or stranded or maybe even wrecked.

There's alot of county roads in Weston and Niobrara county alone that seem like wonderful bladed dirt roads (to the unknowing visitor especially), but add just a little rain and they're soon wondering "what the hell did I get myself into, and how am I ever gonna get out of here". Everything I carry in my personal hunting truck was born out of necessity at one point or another. Generally, it was because I once needed it and didn't have it.

I know this has maybe kinda gotten off track from the OPs' initial question, but really; we're only offereing the best advice we know how to hopefully save some headaches.

"Never mind the getting in, it's the not getting back out that gets people in trouble."

Absolutely true. Later in the season folks will get in because the ground is frozen early in the morning, then getting out turns into a chore. FWIW, the damage I was referring to were guys ripping and roaring around without chains.

"Never mind the getting in, it's the not getting back out that gets people in trouble."

Absolutely true. Later in the season folks will get in because the ground is frozen early in the morning, then getting out turns into a chore. FWIW, the damage I was referring to were guys ripping and roaring around without chains.

+1, good point. We get alot of that this time of year too.

10-4, Those trucks driving sideways and taking up the whole road plus both sides of the ditch sure make it a mess latter for anyone else. Dangerous too.

We had that exact scenario in unit 2b in northern New Mexico adjacent to the Jicarilla Apache Reservation on a mulie hunt. We went up off the main highway about 30 miles within a few miles of the Colorado border the second week of November last Fall pulling a 5x8 cargo trailer with our supplies and then used it to sleep in. Most of the week the roads turned into a quagmire with two snowstorms that came through. The roads weren't too bad early and late when they froze up, but without chains a lot of the vehicles were really making a mess and getting into trouble during the day. We actually got up several hours before daylight when we left there, took all four chains off, and got right out of there back to the highway with the road frozen. I don't think we could have even made it back to the highway with chains during the day pulling that trailer, so having the right equipment and using your smarts to have a good plan for anything that comes up is the only way to go. Even though this thread got off track, I think it's been very good for those people reading it that have never been out west. It's just huge desolate country in a lot of areas and nothing like hunting back home.

We hunted 73 last year and if it rains at all this is what you're up against. Can't even walk in this muck. Sticks to your boots just like the tires. It's not long and it feels like you have 10 lbs of mud on each boot. I had to park the ATV because you couldn't turn. So much mud would build up on the tires all you could do was go straight. After the sun comes out and you have a little breeze it only takes a couple hours to dry it out though. If you're trophy hunting at all I would suggest to look somewhere besides 73 also. We hunted three days and never saw a buck over 12 inches. Read some of the posts on here about unit 73 - they've had a few bad winters and the big bucks just aren't there like they used to be.

005-3.jpg

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 85
That picture is crazy, some bad looking stuff!

Just rent a car from Denver to drive up to Casper, then get a full size PU from Casper to hunt with.

You should check on this, it might save you some money. The prices for a rental in Denver were WAY more then my local. A few years back I went to Colorado to hunt elk. Not even a week before I was gonna head out my truck burned to the ground. A round trip flight to Denver was less than a few hundred bucks, and I still saved money renting a truck local and driving by myself 1,100 miles @ $3.50+ dollars a gallon. It was cheaper to rent a truck local then a compact car in Denver.

He will be at the mercy of the places in Denver because he has to fly in and out of there on business. It will just depend on whether he gets something there and then another one in Casper or one in Denver for the entire round trip back to the airport. Either way it's going to cost some money, plus the fuel cost, and then if he takes our advice and gets a couple good sets of chains and fasteners he will be out another $250-$300.

Read some of the posts on here about unit 73 - they've had a few bad winters and the big bucks just aren't there like they used to be.

This past summer was good for them. Lots of does had twins that made it through, coupled with a mild winter thus far should help the numbers in the next few years if it keeps up. Just hope it helps the mulies out too.

Read some of the posts on here about unit 73 - they've had a few bad winters and the big bucks just aren't there like they used to be.
That is true in some parts of 73. FWIW, I saw several 80+ bucks just east of Arminto after the season closed.

I hunted coyotes in New Mex a few years ago. Flew into Midland TX then drove on over to Carlsbad. There I hooked up with a local internet friend of mine and we took his lifted 3/4 ton Chevy out into the desert. I called it the cactus taxi. This was one of the best prepared off road vehicles I've ever seen. In the bed in a big tote was a couple BIG bottle jacks,tire chains, cribbing ( short pieces of 4X4 lumber), 2 horse blankets (for traction in the sand I guess)assorted tools, winch/straps. There was one cooler of water and gatorade,and one full of grub. We could have stayed out for 3 or 4 days if necessary. Never had a problem,but we had it covered.
IM002079.jpg

Here's a thought. My truck is gonna be somewhere in that area anyway, you could catch a ride in and out with me?
It aint built like the (cactus taxi) or SBs (cant believe he aint showed us pics of one of the nicest BAD trucks I've seen!!) But it does come with a driver that knows the area and how to get around and out of it!!

Here's a thought. My truck is gonna be somewhere in that area anyway, you could catch a ride in and out with me?
It aint built like the (cactus taxi) or SBs (cant believe he aint showed us pics of one of the nicest BAD trucks I've seen!!) But it does come with a driver that knows the area and how to get around and out of it!!

Thanks. Send me a pm at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.