How to Get a 4x4 for NR Hunter in WY

I am planning on hunting unit 73 in WY for my first antelope the first week of October. I fly into Denver from North Carolina 'cause its just too far to drive there and back and still have a week to hold out for a nice buck.

I would be afraid to drive on WY area 73's dirt back roads with a low-clearance 4x4 and city tires that you get from places like Hertz.

Anyone know of a way to rent or borrow a huntworthy 4x4 truck or jeep for a week of antelope hunting? Other DIY nonresident hunters must have the same problem.

I've had to rent vehicles before for fly in trips and just got a factory 4x4 truck from hertz. Beet the **** out of it and then just return it when done. They worked fine. Actually we've even got a mini van one time in northern B.C. And four byed the hell out of it. Just make sure to by the insurance they offer.:D

I would rethink the flyn. Its cheaper to drive if there are a couple other guys going. Whats 35 hrs? lol...Atleast you can avoid all the bs at the airport, and take turns drinking beer!:D

Don't drink and the other guy is flying in from wherever his company sends him during the week. My 57 year old butt will not take driving more than 10 hours a day and that makes 3 days out, 3 days back = 6 long days staring at four lanes of blacktop. No thanks.

Well for what its worth, when its so bad that you have to chain up, it realy don't matter if you have tread. They could be bald as a babys ***, the chains do the work. Tire clearance is another subject, and you can't have it all. I would say rent a full size 4x4 , bring some chains, and hope for the best.

After the draw, get on here and ask who drew the tag you got. Buddy up, then you are for sure, you won't be to alone if you get in a jam. A cell / sat. phone would be another idea.

How the He** is he going to take tire chains on a flight from NC, LOL? One set would weigh a ton and we needed all four wheels chained on the PU last year even though we had it in low 4x4. Those roads out there are not to be messed with when they get a little moisture on them!

You can check tire chains. We bought some over the winter holidays in Germany, drove to Austria and then checked them from Zurich to Washington DC, definitely can be done.
Also agree with what was said about tread not being THAT important, if it's wet, everything will be sludge and clog any tread, chains would be the way to go if you really want to get onto the back roads. We rented a Ford Explorer, beat the crap out of it but worked fine in the end.

That wasn't the point of my post! He could take whatever he wants with him IF he wants to pay through the nose the way the airlines now charge for everything else in addition to the person that gets on the plane. I would be locking up a 4x4 with a Casper rental agency ASAP and also see if they have chains. If they don't, I would buy a set when I arrived and then sell them to somebody when the hunt was over. I will not go out into the back country without chains because the weather can change in an hour and strand your rearend out where it could become a life or death situation!

How the He** is he going to take tire chains on a flight from NC

Lol, Thats why I suggested driving! He may be better of changing units, or going guided!

DIY is alot harder than most guys realize!

Going DIY isn't much of a problem if you do your homework and drive out, but I would never do it if I was flying out. With all the additional costs he's talking about you might as well hire an outfitter that has one or more ranches locked up with good animals on it. He is talking about flying out (big expense and risk with guns), motel charges, vehicle and gas charges, too much hunting time lost to driving back and forth to the motel, food and logistics for that when you fly because you won't have coolers, etc. No way JOSE! I say drive for a fun DIY experience or pay an outfitter to take care of all that garbage if you fly out!

Going DIY isn't much of a problem if you do your homework and drive out, but I would never do it if I was flying out. With all the additional costs he's talking about you might as well hire an outfitter that has one or more ranches locked up with good animals on it. He is talking about flying out (big expense and risk with guns), motel charges, vehicle and gas charges, too much hunting time lost to driving back and forth to the motel, food and logistics for that when you fly because you won't have coolers, etc. No way JOSE! I say drive for a fun DIY experience or pay an outfitter to take care of all that garbage if you fly out!

The issue is usually time. Not everyone is old as dirt and retired. Sometimes the extra money is worth the time. Some people are money poor and some are time poor. I say whatever it takes to make the trip happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.