How to Get a 4x4 for NR Hunter in WY

"Not everyone is old as dirt and retired." What you talkin about Willis, LOL? That should tell you I'm definitely in the old as dirt and retired bunch if you can remember that little saying on the old TV show with Gary Coleman! You're right and that's why I said if he had to fly he may be better off money-wise going with an outfitter with all the costs he will exerience after he gets there.

Thanks for your help guys. I will rent the SUV with the best ground clearance and good tread and see about some chains. I always take a cell phone and a charger. And you're right, I plan on doing a lot of walking with a lot of water so the vehicle is just to get me back into the middle of the unit so I can hike around.

Going DIY isn't much of a problem if you do your homework and drive out, but I would never do it if I was flying out. With all the additional costs he's talking about you might as well hire an outfitter that has one or more ranches locked up with good animals on it. He is talking about flying out (big expense and risk with guns), motel charges, vehicle and gas charges, too much hunting time lost to driving back and forth to the motel, food and logistics for that when you fly because you won't have coolers, etc. No way JOSE! I say drive for a fun DIY experience or pay an outfitter to take care of all that garbage if you fly out!

I agree, After lots of years guiding deer and antelope hunters, and allowing some DIY hunting on our ranch............most folks that want to DIY split the driving with a couple others and most that fly use an outfitter/guide.

My best advice for the OP, If you're dead set on flying out; pre-arrange a full size pickup rental well ahead of time and purchase a set of chains that will fit (dont forget the bungee straps or tightners, whatever you do)!! The only tires that will clean themselves out decently in some of this clay/bentonite muck are very expensive. They wont last on pavement, blacktop or gravel, and sometimes still dont get it done without chains on the ground.

Doesn't happen very often, but some times we're running Boggers with Lockers, have 4 chains on the ground and still cant get where we want to go (or we're breaking chains, axles, shocks or u-joints).........No BS. In these situations, it's better to stay at the motel or camp and sip some coffee or whiskey.

Sandy soil isn't bad at all, you can usually get around on it just fine. Likewise with gravel or rock. The stuff that is tough will turn the most aggressive mud tire into a racing slick in seconds. Most people here have alot of $$ into their 4X4's, especially if they're modified for real off road work. Not likely you'll find anyone that is willing to rent out their best mule when it's plowing time.

I'd caution against an SUV in some cases. Great if you don't kill anything, sometimes a mess to clean up if you do, especially if it's carpet interior...............Don't know if insurance covers blood soaked interiors.? Might check into that first. Tough to beat a pickup when we're hauling bloody carcasses around. We think that a tarp laid out will keep the blood off the carpet.......Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't; especially when we're bouncing/rocking around on back roads.

Guys, I am both time and money poor right now because my business is really hurting. I am working 70 hours a week just to pay bills and pinching pennies hard. For those who can afford a guide or outfitter, great.

My flight into Denver is free because I am going to see clients. Driving from NC would cost me $650 in gas plus $600 in motel and meals roundtrip, not to mention burning up six days of vacation time driving 10-11 hours/day. Sure, if I fly I have to rent a truck and maybe buy chains in Denver but I'm still saving $100s over driving.

As for a guide, even if I could afford one, I like the satisfaction of doing it all myself. I am not excited about having someone lead me around even if they know the area and how to hunt it more than I do. On a good antelope area, I don't know why you really need a guide if you're willing to take your time, learn on the job and work hard. This is not hunting Dall Sheep in the Yukon.

On hiring an outfitter, sure it's less work to do that but I figure the cost of a motel hunt for me is $900 for the week, with us splitting a room, eating breakfast in the room, packing a lunch and splitting the truck and gas costs. Most guides and outfitters charge much more for only 3-4 days. And, I don't need much help packing out a de-boned antelope.

Guys, I am both time and money poor right now because my business is really hurting. I am working 70 hours a week just to pay bills and pinching pennies hard. For those who can afford a guide or outfitter, great.

My flight into Denver is free because I am going to see clients. Driving from NC would cost me $650 in gas plus $600 in motel and meals roundtrip, not to mention burning up six days of vacation time driving 10-11 hours/day. Sure, if I fly I have to rent a truck and maybe buy chains in Denver but I'm still saving $100s over driving.

As for a guide, even if I could afford one, I like the satisfaction of doing it all myself. I am not excited about having someone lead me around even if they know the area and how to hunt it more than I do. On a good antelope area, I don't know why you really need a guide if you're willing to take your time, learn on the job and work hard. This is not hunting Dall Sheep in the Yukon.

On hiring an outfitter, sure it's less work to do that but I figure the cost of a motel hunt for me is $900 for the week, with us splitting a room, eating breakfast in the room, packing a lunch and splitting the truck and gas costs. Most guides and outfitters charge much more for only 3-4 days. And, I don't need much help packing out a de-boned antelope.

I understand.

You're correct, antelope aren't tough to hunt in good areas. Most people that I guided for antelope either wanted a trophy, or they had very little to no shooting/hunting experience. If you can get in off the well traveled roads and do some walking, you should have good luck.

I understand the DIY reason, but I think the OP is going to be very surprised when he finds out what it's going to cost to rent a 4x4 PU for a week to go back and forth from Denver up there, plus a lot of vicinity miles, plus gas, plus at least one set and preferably two sets of chains and fasteners just for the transportation costs alone. A set of chains and fasteners will set you back anywhere from $125 to $150. Double that if you're smart because if it gets wet out there one set will not be enough. Even if you have a person to split the costs, I think you are well shy of what it's really going to cost you. Call this place in Denver just to see what the PU cost will be. They have 3/4 ton diesels on up for rent. 303-755-0066 It was the first place that popped up when I did a quick search of truck rentals in Denver.

I know it's good to be prepared but I was thinking in the 8 times I have hunted in Wyoming for antelope it's always been hotter than hell and was more worried about the animal spoiling than anything else. Oh and fighting off the Bee's. I have only hunted the one unit every time so don't take my word as gospel due to my lack of knowledge of what the other area consists of. All you need is your tag and your visa card is my outlook most of the time. I failed out of boy scouts....

Wtih that kind of outlook, the 9th time you might not come back either, LOL! That's the exact reason that we are asked to pay into the search & rescue fund when we do our license applications.

Wtih that kind of outlook, the 9th time you might not come back either, LOL! That's the exact reason that we are asked to pay into the search & rescue fund when we do our license applications.

Yeah I said I'm no boy scout. I thought they asked that search and rescue money for 60 year old guys who fall and break their hips while hunting though.

Last year I guided antelope hunters with my full size Toyota Tundra and only one set of heavy duty mud chains. Heck of it is, you can not put chains on the front of a Tundra. I was a bit nervous considering the possibility of really heavy rain/wet snow, but I made it through all of September and October without chains. For that matter, if you rent a 1/2 ton 4x4, it's going to have to be a Dodge if you want to chain up the front. Of course you can rent a 3/4 ton.

Then again, if you are hunting area 73, there are enough miles of county road with a decent road base to find an above average antelope. If I were flying out here, I would rent a 4x4 PU and just not do anything stupid.

I would rethink the flyn. Its cheaper to drive if there are a couple other guys going. Whats 35 hrs? lol...Atleast you can avoid all the bs at the airport, and take turns drinking beer!:D

Flying with firearms is bad enough. It's a PITA but the ammo is what I'd be concerned about, especially if you shoot an odd caliber. Lost luggage is common now and lost luggage is lost ammo. Not sure if you can carry-on ammo in you carry-on bag however.

I'd drive too. Numbbutt in 10 hours means a beanery stop or flush, fill and fragrance. You don't have to hammer all the way. Sit back, relax and play tourista....

Keep in mid too, that if you fly, shipping the meat back can be just as expensive as driving....

Just rent a car from Denver to drive up to Casper, then get a full size PU from Casper to hunt with. I would not try to hunt with an SUV because you will get blood on it. Don't sweat the roads, a lot of guys are making it out to be much more than it is. If you use good judgement on where to go and not go depending on weather and road conditions you will be fine. Being unfamiliar with the area you will be sticking to roads on your map, I would hope, which don't require purpose built rigs to travel.

If all else fails, just wave down a Wyoming local. They'll have straps and chains in their trucks.:)

With all of this talk about tire chains and churning around in the mud, I figured I would toss out a little item for your consideration. We have had walk in areas that were open to vehicles closed, access to hunter management areas put in jeopardy, and restrictions placed on HMAs all because of guys tearing the heck out of roads. In fact, access is in jeopardy for parts of elk area 47 right now because of the rip and roar mentality of some folks. Use some common sense.

I suppose it depends on the area you're hunting, some areas have alot of good roads. Others have miles and miles of un-maintained dirt. But from lifelong experience in remote parts of Wyoming, I can say for sure that rain and snow comes in quick sometimes, and a very nice bladed dirt road can become a super slippery mess with just 1/8" of rain in some areas.

If we're miles from the nearest gravel road when it hits, we sometimes need tire chains to get out. Never mind the getting in, it's the not getting back out that gets people in trouble. Having chains and tighteners wont get you into trouble nearly as much as not having them. Take it from a 4th generation native. It's better to go prepared than to be stranded for what could be days. Granted, even those of us who spend our lives off the beaten path don't need chains all that often, but we're sure glad to have them when we do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.