How to determine how much torque on barrel?

Yeah, no shims came with it!

I'll figure something out, just don't want to bugger up the top or the bottom of the action!

Thank you for all the replies, kinda wish I had gone into gunsmithing or machining instead of what I currently do!:rolleyes:

Gary

Cardboard, paper, tape, leather, wood and lead all compress and can smash out if you encounter a tight one. Factory installed barrels can be as tight as 500+ foot pounds. Remington are never that tight but some others can be. Save yourself the trouble of a bunged up gun and use something a little more solid like copper, brass, or even aluminum. Your local Ace Hardware should have some brass shim stock.

Don't you have a smith anywhere near you? It costs about nothing to have a barrel popped off. I liken them to removing a lug nut. In the time it took to type this I could have pulled 2 barrels. And if I were to mark up your gun I make it right even if it means buying you a new one.

Yeah, I do have smith's around, I just wanted to learn how to do it myself. This rifle the barrel came loose on it's own and just needs to be torqued back down.

If I have a headspace issue it may come to that, the problem is that this rifle is a wildcat chambering and go and no-go gauges are not readily available.

I have always done as much as possible myself-I build my own arrows, tune my own bows, mount my own scopes, bed my own rifles, this rifle I just finished pillar bedding this morning and will follow with actual bedding. I am even considering picking up a combo lathe/milling machine?

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.