How to clean powder measure?

rjtaylor

So I am going to try my hand at this reloading stuff. Purchased the Hornady lock n load and it came with a powder dispenser. It is coated inside and out with some sort of oil. Any ideas on what to clean the oil off with?

I clean mine with windex or similar glass cleaner. That should cut the oil off of it for you and down the road you'll want to do it every now and then to cut down on the static buildup. My Lyman started going haywire whenever I got my hands near it. Called them and was instructed to do this for the static. It settled back in after the cleaning.

Use a degreaser after you disassemble the drum, wash it thoroughly with some gun solvent AFTER the degreaser. Dry it well, you can place it in a warm oven, if you don't mind the smell:eek:, or use a hairdryer or the like.
Once dry and warmed, put it back together and put some dry graphite powder on the drum and the housing, work the drum up and down over a catch can and you should be good to go. You need it to coat the drum and housing, but any excess should be removed.
I periodically put graphite powder in my measures every few hundred loads, nothing worse than a measure that starts and stops giving wide ranging throws.

Cheers.
:)

Years ago, I had a problem with my Harrells powder measure - it did not rotate easily. I called them and Lynwood advised me to do just that - graphite on the drum. Worked great!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.