How much weight savings using a carbon fiber type stock

I've got a good shooter in 30 Nosler. The gun roughly 9lb dressed. It has a wood stock. Question, can someone give me an idea how much weight I can shave off using a carbon fiber stock. It's a M70 action, #4 26" BRux
I just did a sheep and Mt.goat rifle for a loc Dr. and it came in at 61/2 lbs with a AG carbon fiber CAT stock and proof 26 on barrel in 300 win mag

I've got a good shooter in 30 Nosler. The gun roughly 9lb dressed. It has a wood stock. Question, can someone give me an idea how much weight I can shave off using a carbon fiber stock. It's a M70 action, #4 26" BRux
Always remember, if you have a rifle that shoots well and you make a change for the sake of a little weight you also risk loosing some accuracy. Imo, NEVER change anything on a rifle that's shoot well. My .02

Weigh your stock then subtract 16oz. Brown Precision and Oregunsmithing smithing both offer 16oz stocks and MPI even less. I'm guessing 24-32 ounces stock weight for your wood stock. Even a half a pound can make a big difference.. scope and rings can also shave a bit of weigh too.

I've got a Brown Precision fiberglass blank that weighs 18.5 ounces but it isn't suitable for use with a Model 70 chambered in 30 Nosler.

There seems to be some concern about the Brown Precision fiberglass with the Win. Model 70 in 30 Nosler.....what are the concerns?

I'm looking for something, equal to or lighter than the Win. "Tuperware" stock, which can be shortened as well as "full length" bedded, and tougher than "h#||....will be used for a .338 WM. My primary goal, though obviously "not" guaranteed, is to improve the rifles accuracy, the ability to "full length" bed! memtb

Last edited:
Very difficult to answer, and depends on three things: the particular wood of your existing stock (walnut weighs from about 30-40 lbs/cu. ft, depending on species), the composite from which the carbon fiber is made (carbon fiber itself weighs about 2-3 times as much as walnut), and the configuration of the stock - a carbon fiber buttstock and forend would be hollowed out somewhat to take advantage of the far higher strength of carbon fiber, so for a given external volume, there would be far less carbon fiber than walnut. The degree to which it is hollowed out is a function of the manufacturer. A sporter wood stock is typically around 2 pounds. Synthetic stocks can weigh more than that or slightly less. McMillan makes a carbon fiber stock that weighs 1 1/2 pounds.

Here's one of the 25.5 ounce stocks in a 700 L/A 6.5 PRC.......

GVUe7Q2.jpg

****, that's sexy. I want one...

My son did a special lay up of a carbon stock for my 20" 243 remmy stainless sps (years back). The hunting style stock featured a monocoque carbon construction with an internal carbon structure (ICS) and intergrated carbon fibre pillars. Bedded, painted with recoil pad the stock weighed 19.8oz. Going light is a good thing, most rifles behave better with a lighter stock and shoot more consistent however I would not go hunting with a stock that is to weak to take the rough of a hill hunt. We have very wet and partially steep terrain meaning I often take a tumble or slide down a bank. This stock held up well on a few hunts that I used it until it went to a show in England where it was gobbled up for a rifle build with titanium action. Most of our hunting style stocks weigh around the 23-24oz range. Now I mostly use a tactical style carbon stocks for hunting with adjustable cheek raiser and spacer system that weighs around 900grams 32oz. If one compares that a standard lightweight wooden stock weighs around 32 oz, mostly more. Plastic take off stocks like T3 Lite would be around 830grams ~30oz. You get so much more for your weight with carbon.
So yes you can save quite a bit with carbon, in some cases the weight of a scope. Done well I am convinced the rifles shoot better and more consistent with a carbon stock.
edi
JwPYEgy.jpg

I received a new Manners EH-6 a couple days ago. It weighs 30.4 ounces. It will probably weigh at least 2 pounds after it is bedded.

I received a McMillan Remington Classic flat top edge fill stock today. It weighs 26.4 ounces. I expect it to weigh about 2 pounds after it is bedded and has the recoil pad installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.