How much water do you take with you?

I have a Coues Whitetail hunt this year in the high desert here in Arizona. The closest water source is 5 miles down the trail from where I intend on hunting. I'm packing in 3 gallons of water that I'll stash and mark on my gps this weekend to make sure water is there when I need it. I have a 3 liter water bladder and a stainless steel klean kanteen that I care on my. I usually don't hike around with the water bladder completely full to keep the weight down. I usually drink between 1.5-3 liters of water a day depending on the amount of hiking and temperatures. I also carry a Katadyn Hiker for emergencies. Standing pools of water can usually be found in canyon bottoms if necessary.

I picked up a 24oz aluminum water bottle with a screw cap that fits in a sleeve attached to my pack for my mule deer hunt later this month. I also have the Katadyn hiker pro filter system I will carry, and an 8oz gatorade to drink after the long hike in.

Anyone have any input good or bad on the aluminum water bottle? I've never used one before.

Thanks again for the good posts. I have a eberlestock pack I will be using that is hydration bladder compatable, and have a 100oz source bladder and 70oz camelback bladder. I worried about it freezing up on the ATV ride to the trailhead and the walk in in the dark, I've never used them in freezing temperatures. If I don't have any water in the hose would my body heat keep me ok there?

I will be careful to keep from cross contamination my water with my filter. I have a separate plastic bag for my output hose and will be careful there. No sense packing around a filter if you aren't going to watch that. I also have a Katadyn Mybottle water bottle with the built in filter & optional purifier. I just didn't like how much pressure it takes to get the water out, so I decided the filter was a better fit for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.