How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee, WY?

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

So, we already have antelope doe tags for 20 as a backup plan in case we can't effectively deer hunt the Big Horns due to snow. We'd be able to use our deer tags down there, too. I don't see a lot of public antelope land in 20.

Recently I decided I'd like to try my first archery antelope hunt with my TAC 15i crossbow and may buy a buck tag for 21 or 20.

I like that the archery season this year will go from August 15 right up to the deer gun season opening on October 15. Lots of time to fool around with my just-arrived Be The Decoy antelope head/hat. Should be a hoot!

I don't care about the trophy size of an archery antelope but which of those 2 areas should I select for numbers of antelope and available public antelope habitat?

Leftover tags go on sale Tuesday so I need to decide.

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

There are a ton of buck and doe tags left in both units and the main reason is because the majority of animals are in the eastern half of those units where it's mostly private land. I doubt you'll have much of a problem finding free doe hunts on ranches, but it's a whole different ballgame when you're talking a buck tag. I'd probably stay with unit 20 since you already have doe tags there and if you buy a buck tag there is still a decent chance of finding some on public land. Many times the least likely looking spots will hold antelope even up in the higher, tougher elevations. I see them frequently up at close to 8,000 feet where I hunt on the other side of the mountains from where you'll be!

Dont know much about 2o but have hunted the 21 area the last 6 years for deer and goats. 21 does not have a lot of public land and its a nightmare to hunt the first week of gun season BUT Its a great area for bowhunt.....specialy if you want to spot and stalk.
Drop me a line if decide to go 21.

Email sent.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.