How Many Yards Until No Longer Lethal

I was taught to have 2x the animals weight as a minimum.
Meaning if an cow elk weighs 800 lbs, and my bullet ballistics says its energy in ft/lbs drops below 1,600 ft/lbs at 900 yds. then I'm good with in 900yds.

This is just a general rule of thumb.
As we know it still depends on the shooter for good placement.

A .22 cal is just a lethal as a .50 cal. But the bigger caliber compensates for sloppier bullet placement.

FYI..More people have been killed with a .22 cal than any other caliber.
Even further since cow elk dont weigh 800lbs

If you run your ballistics on your load, I will not shoot at a deer sized game animal at ranges where my energy is under 850 foot pounds. Honestly I don't shoot when I am less than 1100 foot pounds, but conventional wisdom and ethics seem to say that 850 is the absolute bottom.
If that were true, then how do so many of us kill deer with handguns that have only about 550-600 ft/lbs at the muzzle? How can we kill deer and other with impact energy of 350 ft/lbs with various handguns and muzzleloader round balls?

Point being, "energy" is not the deciding factor in game lethality.

"Energy" is only a part of an equation just like "Speed" is only part of racing, the various units of measure that proponents have lobbied for and used since we have moved beyond charging animals with sharp sticks all have pro's and con's.

"Energy" has sort of been the the one that can be best quantified of the various formulas, it isn't perfect and too many hang their hat on just the one factor, without including the other things that round out exactly how bullets work in wound/killing effect .

That discussion is worse than the Ford - Chevy debate.

Just a follow up to the energy conversation and not to derail the thread. Just look at those 100yd energy numbers, but yet, we and others routinely kill deer and other in the 50-100yd range.

1700680418810.jpeg

I know I do cartridge BP, ball and bullet/Minnie which is why I point out how contentious the whole issue is.

Fun for all ages and the lobotomy for those that aren't paying attention

I find it less dangerous than count to 6 golf.

A group of people run into a field. As soon as they start running the golfer starts a 6 count, as they count they put the tee into the ground and a golf ball on it, at 6 they swing and try to hit someone.
What doesn't kill you, makes you tougher.

I know where you can play land mine lottery...WW1 to WW2 to the late problems between Sudan and Libya so you will get a mix between Soviet bloc and French as well as other Western powers munitions.

I should resist... oh well... The main reason people are enamored with " Energy" is that it's quick easy and quantifiable, you can write a regulation that anyone....we hope... can understand...you don't need to be a witch doctor, have a PhD or understand quantum physics , explain to the greenest of newbie, what is a suitable start for a first time choice of firearm/caliber for hunting "X animal ".

That it has devolved into straight "Energy" is as much the fault of us mossbacks as anything and few people spending time and money getting into the nitty gritty of wound ballistics outside interested professional's.

I still wind up doing the majority of gutting and skinning due to weak stomachs everyhunting, seasons. I shudder to think what the responses would be if I brought out , research and other paper work I have in my office...I would need a mop and bucket no doubt and get a lot of strange looks.

So their are my thoughts on it, sorry for the thread drift.

I should resist... oh well... The main reason people are enamored with " Energy" is that it's quick easy and quantifiable, you can write a regulation that anyone....we hope... can understand...you don't need to be a witch doctor, have a PhD or understand quantum physics , explain to the greenest of newbie, what is a suitable start for a first time choice of firearm/caliber for hunting "X animal ".

That it has devolved into straight "Energy" is as much the fault of us mossbacks as anything and few people spending time and money getting into the nitty gritty of wound ballistics outside interested professional's.

I still wind up doing the majority of gutting and skinning due to weak stomachs everyhunting, seasons. I shudder to think what the responses would be if I brought out , research and other paper work I have in my office...I would need a mop and bucket no doubt and get a lot of strange looks.

So their are my thoughts on it, sorry for the thread drift.

As the OP I knew this thread was destined to drift from the start, so no need to be concerned about it.
Actually it is interesting reading for me.
My mind has a hard time grasping that anyone can hit a target at more than 2 miles, much less it be lethal, which is why I asked.
Then again it's not like I run around with a 50 cal shooting at things.
Energy, damage trail, accuracy, and all the rest, makes for a good read. I know what I know, and can admit that its a small fraction of the knowledge that is out there.
I would bet many others feel the same way, and like me, enjoy learning.
I just enjoy shooting, and God Blessed me with a job that makes it possible to do so almost anytime.
Someday I might know 1% of everything there is to know about guns, ammo, and shooting, that will be a good day.