How Many Yards Until No Longer Lethal

I like the cross polenation myself, because one can become a little too focused in ones field and some of what is exchanged may be in a book or paper to which only a select few will ever actually get full exposure, but excerpts can be discussed generally on forums such as this one.

It's like a question about quantum physics or algebra or Latin. Perhaps even theology, you can ask it on a forum and have your question potentially answered and wrung out and it cost's nothing more than time, or you can try and research it in a field in which you don't even know where to even begin and end in frustration....with the same question in hand or throw it out there.

WHAT SAY YOU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there would be more informed discussions. BTW, Custer graduated at the bottom of his class and was killed at close range, lol.
Why not just sure the knowledge in a forum or discussion. If we all read the same factual book what is there to discuss?

This goes on all the time. I serviced under 7 different Captians in the fields of Vietnam. Was in to many to count of firefights during my time there. I have had the rest of my life to think about what was done and not done while over there. Some were jackass and some were very good. Only one I would have followed straight into hell and we would have made it. I severed under a few different squadron commards. One Lt. Col that was very good and the rest weren't worth a ****. By June of 1969 I had a lot of firefight under my belt. I didn't really understand how the fire were lead by the Lt. Col. until after that day.
When we would make contact with the VC or NVA. We would pull back and let the jets and artillery work them over for and undetermined time, depending the size force we make contact with. That was well above my pay grade. I had given it much thought about it until June 19, 1969. We were involved possible one of the biggest firefight that day. What I couldn't figure out why we were being pushed back into the fight with only a few airstrikes time and time again. This went on all day. Normal was the Airforce would pound them into the ground, before we would push back in. That day was totally different. I never seem so many RPG before flying through the air. Looked like rain. Captain Carson literally lost his head by an RPG. Along with several other things being done wrong. I didn't have much use for Captain Carson anyway. I went around with him a few time during his stay with C troop, 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. If you don't believe me look him up on the wall. Killed in action June 19, 1969. He was hard on his men, but fairly good at commanding a firefight.
Back to the story: I was madder than hell about what had gone on that day. Found out a few days later a Brig. General took over commard of the Squadon, and got many men killed and wounded that day. I knew the fly boys with the Lt. Col. They told me the Lt. Col was crying about the Brig General killing his men. I never found out who the Brig General was. If I did I would go and p**s on his gravel.
Well there a little piece of history for you.
The one thing for sure, I learn just how much people make in leading.
We got one now that's real stupid!
The BG probably needed to have commanded men in combat to receive a new ribbon.

If you don't take ham serious you need to find a better ham, here is a link for some serious ham

I see you are in discussion with someone on my ignore list.
The forum becomes a better place with a few on ignore.
Some people have such a negative attitude, their main goal seems to be offensive, instead of helpful and kind.
Me, I prefer helpful and kind, with some humor thrown in.

Screenshot_20231123-162656_Firefox.jpg

Can a 22 lr hitting the average adult male in the stomach be lethal at 1500 yards for example?

Or same scenario but a 6.5 creed at 4500 yards?

There's got to be a point where even if it does hit them, all it would do is **** them off.
I don't think so. If the projectile will make it to the person it's going to have the chance of killing. I think at the point where the bullet can't make it that far and hits the ground no matter how far you "arc" the bullet in is where it's non lethal. It doesn't need to expand and I'm pretty sure even at 200 fps it's going to give someone fits.

I see you are in discussion with someone on my ignore list.
The forum becomes a better place with a few on ignore.
Some people have such a negative attitude, their main goal seems to be offensive, instead of helpful and kind.
Me, I prefer helpful and kind, with some humor thrown in.

View attachment 513698

I have been put on ignore before and I'm grateful for that and for good reason. If the OP had presented the topic as one on safety concerning the danger zone beyond the target then it might have been helpful, kind, and maybe fun. But there is nothing funny, helpful, or kind having to ask if a .22LR is lethal at 1500 yards if a person is hit in the abdomen. That is just one example of the reckless and fun discussion here along with insisting getting your answers on the Internet and only the Internet. This is a long range forum and the level of contempt prior to investigation is anything but funny. The biggest and most prudent ignore is not being any where, even far away, from some members here with a firearm.

The BG probably needed to have commanded men in combat to receive a new ribbon.
He probably got a Silver Star for leading the men into hell. Who is at the helm make a lot of different. Seen that many time during my tour over there for combat ribbon.

Last edited:
200 years ago, when all we had was black powder, muskets, and low velocity ammunition, the answer was different. Reading through the list of men who died in the civil war you would see two designations. Killed in Action and Mortally Wounded. The Mortally Wounded list was 6-8 times longer than those Killed in Action.
Medical was poor at best at that time, and they hadn't figure out how to fight those type of gun battles. We are still learning even today, because new thinking and tactic.
Each war has it new curves and problems. Air support is a major part of turning a fight around. If we don't control the air we are in big trouble. Getting the people on the ground to use air support is the other problem. Improvement in firearms and other equipment, and thinking on how to deploy it.
In world war 1 if I remember correctly it was a week to get woulded to a field hospital, and that may have been in World War 11. In Keara it was something like 24 hrs to get to a field hospital or Mash unit. Vietnam it was generally less than 30+ minutes, depending on the unit. Also who was running the dustoff. Alot carried red crosses, and other didn't. The one's that didn't wear red crosses, had another type of crosses. 2 M-60 pointed outside. One on each side. It help in stopping gun fire at us.
What happen in Afghan I don't know. It my understanding it took over 2 hrs. to get a dustoff chopper to site. I felt the was bullsh*T to be so long to getting anybody back to a mash unit.
It's my understanding that one medic commited sueded, because the wound solider didn't make it back to mash unit. It was over 2 hours to just to get the dustoff there. The wound solider had a double sucking chest wounds. I was amazed that he was able to keep that soldier alive that long. I guess he didn't think he did his job correctly. That Medic training was about 26 weeks from start to finish. I was a combat medic. My training was 10 week durning Vietnam time. Inpart the medic or my unit did was to check on the wound after being dustoff. It they didn't live, we kind of blame ourselves. Tried to figure out we could have done better to see the would live for another day.
Over 50 now for me being out. I still think about daily, and try and figure out what I could have done better. It's called PTSD.