How many rifles does your wife think you own?

In my head I figure that 5% of what I make in a year can go to hunting. She can have say in the other 95 percent. She claims I have spent 10k in the last 5 years on hunting stuff. I humbly agreed.

I had several different toys, but then this one time, I went duck hunting, big swells that day, everything went overboard except for a 30-06 and a rusty old 870. Don't know why I decided to take all of my guns out on such a day, I think there was an election that day if memory serves me.

That's my paper trail.

Not having a wife allows me to have a gun vault! Girl friends are not allowed to see inside! Learned the hard way twice.....so be honest or be single.
If not it will catch up with you!

My wife knows I have very many and that I'm now up to buying them for our greatgrandchildren that haven't even been born yet! I have several centerfire bolt rifles, at least one shotgun, a 22 LR rifle and handgun and one centerfire hand gun for each of our 4 adult children, 5 grandchildren that are already born and 3 more we expect to come, the 4 or 5 greatgrandchildren each grandchild is expected to give us, and then a few spare sets, just in case. I'm constantly buying more. I've already bought 5 more centerfire rifles since December 1st, 2018... I do have them stored in various relative's safes, in multiple states. I've been collecting them for 40+ years.

It does help with the wife, that I'm constantly upgrading or bedding stocks, changing barrels and/or triggers, adding DBM bottom metal and/or muzzle brakes, etc. so the rifles I have at home at any given time, she sees change appearance regularly. Oh yes, she shoots with me fairly regularly and has quite a collection of firearms of her own but, neither she nor I are addicted to firearms or anything... ;)

My wife grew up in a hunting family,she knows I have guns.Then one day at work they had a tour of Proof for some reason,and she got to see the goods,and also caught the general cost.She mentioned that was crazy,thats when some lame co worked said"your husband has one''...one??

My wife grew up in a hunting family,she knows I have guns.Then one day at work they had a tour of Proof for some reason,and she got to see the goods,and also caught the general cost.She mentioned that was crazy,thats when some lame co worked said"your husband has one''...one??
Some people just don't know how to keep there mouth shut. DAMMMMM

I'm spoiled and I know it. My wife handles all the financial affairs. I might have $20 in my billfold. But it doesn't really matter because I've had her put my billfold in her purse. How many guns do I have? I'm not real sure my self so I don't imagine she knows either. When I want something we discuss it and if we have the money it's a go. We are retired now and the rule is, we have to save the money and pay for our items in full, no payments. And yes I do have a weakness for firearms, other related hunting items, hunting license and tags and she seems to be okay with that. She always goes with me and says she enjoys herself. So yes I am spoiled and I know it.

I asked my wife how many she thought I had, she was within 20%. But she is fine with any of them. We agree on a budget and stay within our budget.

Last edited:
I was one of the many whose answer is, less than actual, but there is one big factor that helps me. I like to get the level of quality and performance that I need for any tool that I want but there is no way that I'm going to overspend. Other than my heirloom Rem722 in 257Rbts, there is not a single gun or guitar that I own, that would kill me if it was lost or stolen, given that they all cost $<1500. My wife does appreciate that.

I thought this might be a good time to throw this out there:
"What's the difference between men and boys? Men don't have toys, they have TOOLS!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.