How many of you guys use a 308 Winchester for big game?

I have taken mule deer here in WY with my .30 Herrett out to 185 yards with one shot kills, so a .308 should have no problems. That is a beautiful pistol. Good luck and happy hunting. Red

Beautiful handgun ,
I wish our laws allowed hand gun hunting. It would add a whole new dimension to trips into the bush.
Sadly i dont see a change of heart in my life time.
Good luck on your hunt and enjoy that little beauty of a gun.

I ran/drove out to Chuck's today to drop off a Joy-Pod, and pick up my 25 PRC XP. I grabbed my 308 Win XP just to make sure everything was on. There was a couple of guys and a gal shooting when I got there. The guy was shooting of all things, a bolt rifle in 308 Winchester. I knew the guy that was spotting for them (Dave L), but the other two were a first time acquaintance. Since Dave was there, I asked him if he could spot for me at 500 yards. Originally, I was going to shoot paper at 100 yards and then a 5" steel at 200, and 10" steel at 300 yards, from a seated position and some double kneeling.
But since he was set-up for 500, I told him I would start there.
At the last minute, I decided I would shoot it double-kneeling with the Bog Gear and PSR top and small field bag.
Dialed 13.5 MOA (168 grain TAP ammo) and dialed 1 MOA left for the wind.
Took me awhile to get steady at 500 yards, but smacked it first shot.
Reloaded, and moved hastily too 300 yards (5.5 MOA), again double kneeling, and saw the cross-hair drop at the shot. I called it just low and Dave confirmed it-Rats!
Then, I moved to the 5" 200 and smacked it from the same position.
Hunting this week will likely involve a sitting shot with my back resting against a tree-Tripod will be lower and more stable than double kneeling.
Don't tell anyone, but I enjoy shooting this XP.
Talked Dave into shooting it from the bench (Harris bi-pod and small field bag) and he nailed the 300 yard steel first time.
the 308 Win XP is ready to go!

My .308's have killed everything I've shot with them. I just keep it sane when it comes to range, bullet, velocity and energy. Nathan Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research, has some great info about bullet selection.

My wife used one in Namibia she took everything up to and including eland with it not a pistol but a 20 inch rifle all with a 165 sierra gameking

Ernie, I would say the 168 A-Max/ELDM/Tap would be perfect for the animals you are hunting and the velocity range of you handguns. I say that based on my experience with the 178 A-Max in my 5R700.
Good luck on your hunt, I need to get back that way, love it there.

I use a 308 for deer quite a bit. Took 2 doe off our farm last week with the ar10& 168gr eldm. They are thick as fleas on the farm so we try to take as many as possible which means quick follow up shots on multiple animals is common.

Attachments

• 20201201_162623_copy_600x800.jpg
    20201201_162623_copy_600x800.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 115
Ernie, I have been pretty happy with my old Contender in the past. I shoot a lot out to 300 to 350 yards, but I use hold over. I only use a 2X leupold scope on three barrels. When I have tried higher power scopes, I seem very shaky. You are peaking an interest here. I might run into you at Chuck's next summer with a new pistol. Good luck on your hunt. Are you hunting unit 26?

Ernie, I have been pretty happy with my old Contender in the past. I shoot a lot out to 300 to 350 yards, but I use hold over. I only use a 2X Leupold scope on three barrels. When I have tried higher power scopes, I seem very shaky. You are peaking an interest here. I might run into you at Chuck's next summer with a new pistol. Good luck on your hunt. Are you hunting unit 26?
Unit 24.
What chambering are you considering?

Unit 24.
What chambering are you considering?
I was thinking something in .25 cal, but I haven't looked into much yet. Like I said, I have enjoyed my Contender, but there is always room for change. I am not sure if I have the ability to shoot longer than 300 yards, but I have limited myself with the 2 X scope. I shoot .30 Herrett, .35 Remington and .22 Hornet now. But .257 or .308 opens new territory for me.

The Encore is a great option at a pretty modest price point. Like Ernie said, the Creedmoor or Lapua sized cases work really well. If the Kauger Arms is in your budget, it looks like a great gun. I've been kicking around the idea of getting either one of the Kauger Arms Black Widows or one of the Nosler 48 NCH pistols. I just don't like the right-hand bolt.

I like the looks of that. What scope are you using?
Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 ART reticle in FFP

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.