Need some advise from you guys on a new build.

Cruizin

I have two long range rifles and love them very much, but I've been checking out some of your rigs and you guys got me wanting to build one.

The last rifle I built I made it from a savage action and did all the work except the barrel and brake work. That was a lot of fun and I would like to go that route this time around. So.... do I understand correctly that you can order an action from northland shooters supply and they will mark it as a pistol action? If this is the case couldn't you use any savage action as far as getting it to go into a stock? This brings me to my second question. I like those McMillian stocks where the grip is in the center of the stock. I really hate the wait and price with Mcm though, any other resources that you guys would recommend for a stock would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cruizin

I have two long range rifles and love them very much, but I've been checking out some of your rigs and you guys got me wanting to build one.
The last rifle I built I made it from a savage action and did all the work except the barrel and brake work. That was a lot of fun and I would like to go that route this time around. So.... do I understand correctly that you can order an action from northland shooters supply and they will mark it as a pistol action? If this is the case couldn't you use any savage action as far as getting it to go into a stock? This brings me to my second question. I like those McMillian stocks where the grip is in the center of the stock. I really hate the wait and price with Mcm though, any other resources that you guys would recommend for a stock would be appreciated. Thanks,
Cruizin

Cruizin,
I have never gone through the process myself with the non-designated actions, but yes, you can do that, but I do not know the specifics.
The problem with using the Savage target action is that there is no linkage system to set-up a center-grip trigger system. The action is also longer than the XP so I do not think it work anyway.
You are pretty much stuck with a rear-grip set-up using the Savage Target action. Joel Russo and Neal Cooper make several different stocks for specialty handgun actions. I would contact both of them to see what they offer and then choose the one you believe will fit your wants the best.
What cartridge are you thinking about?

I'm not sure on the cartridge yet but I am leaning towards something that offers good brass. Always wanted a rig that I can buy good brass for. I want to have this for a varmit/ deer/ maybe elk at closer ranges gun.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of the center grip and the rear grip?

I'm not sure on the cartridge yet but I am leaning towards something that offers good brass. Always wanted a rig that I can buy good brass for. I want to have this for a varmit/ deer/ maybe elk at closer ranges gun.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of the center grip and the rear grip?

Hard to beat a 6.5-284 (Lapua brass). It will work for all of the things you are looking for.

Rear or center grip is more a matter of personal preference.

So what action would you recommend. I don't want to spend a bunch of money but will if I have to. Is it hard to find an xp 100 action?

If I find one and go with a center grip stock is there a delay in the firing of the gun due to the linkage system?

Lock time is slower with a center-grip system, but the majority of my hunting handguns are center-grip.
Most of mine are XP-100's (I have both center & rear grip XP's).
I will be trying the new McGowen action when it becomes available (rear-grip set-up).

For a rear-grip set-up the Savage single-shot target action may be one of the cheaper routes (currently).

I am also putting together a handgun on the Savage Tgt. Action. Mine's gonna be a 225 Win. fast twist for LR PD's mostly. Call the guys at Northland--they will tell u all u need to know regarding legalities.

Another guy i know has 1 in a WSM, and loves it. I would also suggest Neal for a laminated-style stock. If u intend to use the Burris 3-12x i would also stay with a rear grip, since the eye relief is too long to get a full FOV when prone from a bipod @ 12x. If u stay with a rear grip the 3-12x will work fine and is the best LER out there for general purpose hunting.

I used the savage target action to build mine with a stock from Neal Cooper, he has a few more styles about to be made. It's in 7wsm and I couldn't be happyer, I'm limited on brass and have been using winchester brass. But it seems to be working really good. Mine is rear grip and I use a 6.5-20 Leupy rifle scope with no problems and a full field of view... I pieced mine together for 2-300 more than I've seen most xp100's selling for lately.

I have one in 338/300 WSM and I'm really impressed with it. Very easy to put together and I had Jim See at Center Shot rifles to the break and some other work it needed. He did an excellent job and was very fast too.
Northland will answer all your questions and were to get a new bolt face if needed. The actions only come in 223 and 308 right now. You don't need any tools to work with them either, much easier than working on Rem actions.

I bought my Savage action from a local dealer. I went with the right port right bolt. Now I got the action but no tsure what caliber to work with. Kind of leaning towards the 338 Edge. I am going to send Neal some money this week for a stock. It never ends...

I am ind of shook by our new presidents views of our 2nd amendmet rights so I will buy another Savage action for the "just in case" box. I think the next will be a left/left.

Does Neal or Joel have a website?

If not can someone provide me with contact info for those two?

Thanks guys,

Thanks Ernie. So do you feel the 6.5 x 284 will have enough barrel to burn all that powder? I already have the dies for a 7wsm but there isn't lapua or norma brass available.

Any other suggestions on a caliber? I was thinking about a 15" barrel and want the gun for varmits, deer, sheep, pronghorn, and elk at closer ranges.

Thanks Ernie. So do you feel the 6.5 x 284 will have enough barrel to burn all that powder? I already have the dies for a 7wsm but there isn't lapua or norma brass available.

Any other suggestions on a caliber? I was thinking about a 15" barrel and want the gun for varmits, deer, sheep, pronghorn, and elk at closer ranges.

I have shot some okay groups with a 15" 6.5-284 @ 1K:D
If you are leaning more toward elk, I would go with a 7mm.
If you are going to be using it more for a deer sized critters, varminting and steel, I would go with the 6.5.

Cartridge choice and barrel length is really a personal decision.
I have never used a 15" 7mmWSM though.
You may better suited with a 284 Win in a 15" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.