Big game caliber suggestions

bscman

I'm a western backpack hunter with experience shooting contenders and xp-100's in .218 bee, 30-30, 30 and 35 Herret, 35 remington, 7br, and recently a 7-08.

I just picked up another 7br xp-100 and would like to build an all out big game hunting rig with a little more range, mostly for blackbear and deer, but possibly elk in the future.
Yes I know the 7-08 is a capable cartridge and will likely meet my current needs...

I'm considering something in the 15-17" range, and plan to use a center grip McMillan stock.
I'd like to see at least 1,100-1,200ft/lbs of energy at 400yds, which would be my self imposed limit for the aforementioned hunting.

I tend to prefer hunting cartridges .284 and larger. My typical hunting rifles are .30, .338. and .35 caliber of the magnum persuasion so let's keep suggestions .284 and above.

My initial instinct was 338 federal usin 200gr pills, but it's not the flattest shooting or most wind friendly selection.
I'd love to hear some real work advice from experienced pistol hunters for what has worked for best for them.

Thx!

400-500 yds max ,somthing I'm thinking about in an xp or a repeater in a Savage PTA rear grip.Brass wise,bullet availability seemed ok during shortages,I've even notice some factory on shelves and net lately,my gun plumber built a few mausers this winter,catches my eye cause I had one in a rifle, kicked a bunch.Short and fat......300wsm,just me,I have multiple cals below 30 and a few above in sp's, no 30 cals,I guess it's about time

I'm a western backpack hunter with experience shooting contenders and xp-100's in .218 bee, 30-30, 30 and 35 Herret, 35 remington, 7br, and recently a 7-08.

I just picked up another 7br xp-100 and would like to build an all out big game hunting rig with a little more range, mostly for blackbear and deer, but possibly elk in the future.
Yes I know the 7-08 is a capable cartridge and will likely meet my current needs...

I'm considering something in the 15-17" range, and plan to use a center grip McMillan stock.
I'd like to see at least 1,100-1,200ft/lbs of energy at 400yds, which would be my self imposed limit for the aforementioned hunting.

I tend to prefer hunting cartridges .284 and larger. My typical hunting rifles are .30, .338. and .35 caliber of the magnum persuasion so let's keep suggestions .284 and above.

My initial instinct was 338 federal usin 200gr pills, but it's not the flattest shooting or most wind friendly selection.
I'd love to hear some real work advice from experienced pistol hunters for what has worked for best for them.

Thx!

Do you plan to use a pistol or rifle scope with this XP build?

I no longer have this. 15.75" 7.82 Patriot (30 caliber Short Action Lazzeroni cartridge). It had more case capacity than the WSM, and was out before either the WSM or the SAUM made their debut. I ran the 180 grain Game King at around 2775 fps and the 150 grain NBT at 3001 fps. It did a great job killing elk!
I have a center-grip 300 SAUM XP-100 in the works right now 😊

Patriot 700 yds Kenton.jpg

I've taken blacktail, Coues, Carmen Mtn. whitetail, mule deer, 2 800# kudus & a lot of other African game out to 400 yds (WV deer out to 565 yds) with my SSK 6.5/.284 XP-100 and 130 gr. Nosler ABs or PTs. Every animal has been 1 shot. This caliber kills way out of proportion to it's size. Recoil is minimal. Accuracy exceptional.

My two favorite XP-100 cartridges are the 7mm RSAUM and 30 Nosler, which I have both.

7mm RSAUM does 168 Berger VLDH's at 2850 fps from 17.5" Bartlein barrel with sub-1/2 MOA accuracy. 30 Nosler is doing 2825+ fps with 1/2 MOA accuracy from 18.5" barrel.

Really hard to beat either of those two for accuracy and ballistic capabilities. They both can reach out much farther than your 400 yard imposed limit.

I've taken blacktail, Coues, Carmen Mtn. whitetail, mule deer, 2 800# kudus & a lot of other African game out to 400 yds (WV deer out to 565 yds) with my SSK 6.5/.284 XP-100 and 130 gr. Nosler ABs or PTs. Every animal has been 1 shot. This caliber kills way out of proportion to it's size. Recoil is minimal. Accuracy exceptional.
I can attest to the 6.5x284's accuracy, this is from a rifle but here's my first 2 shots yesterday with a 143gr Bondstrike.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.jpeg
    IMG_3807.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
You didn't specify if you reload or not. Limiting the range to 400 yards really opens up the cartridges you could shoot. 7mm SAUM would be an excellent choice if you've got brass. 7mm-6.5prc (7mm PRCW) would too since Lapua is making 6.5prc brass.

I think a better way to pick the cartridge is choose a bullet or bullets that you want to shoot. Figure out the velocity you need to get them to expand at the distance you intend on shooting them. Most of the cartridges I've shot in SP's lose around 250fps compared to a rifle length barrel. Then look to see what brass you have or can get.

You didn't specify if you reload or not.

I think a better way to pick the cartridge is choose a bullet or bullets that you want to shoot. Figure out the velocity you need to get them to expand at the distance you intend on shooting them. Most of the cartridges I've shot in SP's lose around 250fps compared to a rifle length barrel. Then look to see what brass you have or can get.
I do reload quite extensively from .218bee all the way to the big .50

Looking at a few boxes of leftover Barnes .338 185fr TSX and having a plethora of .308 brass is what originally had me leaning 338 federal. Ive had tremendous luck in this caliber in 338-06 and 338wm.
However, given the velocity loss with a pistol, and pretty dismal ballistic coefficient of said bullet, im a bit concerned it wouldn't have the necessary velocity for reliable expanding at 300+ And my experience with .338 bullets is that they tend to be on the tougher side.

The hive mind here has given me a couple ideas that I haven't already considered, such as the 7saum. And the 6.5-284 definitely seems to be a performer and I imagine would have a fairly mild recoil.

I appreciate the responses so far, andnif anyone else has any favorites please chime in.