How many models of "Mini Actions" for 223 rifles

I bought a Browning X-Bolt in 22-250 with a 1:9 twist and it came in a mini-action. I was pretty disappointed, I didn't shoot that rifle very much before I got rid of it.

I bought a Browning X-Bolt in 22-250 with a 1:9 twist and it came in a mini-action. I was pretty disappointed, I didn't shoot that rifle very much before I got rid of it.
Mini action opposed to SA, but still not a 223 length action.....
That's the way I understand it
223 is 2.250" COAL and 22-250 is 2.500".....????

I am going to investigate this model next

Browning X-bolt has four action lengths:
.223 sized/mini action
Short action
Long/standard action
Magnum length action

I have an X-bolt in .204 Ruger that uses the .223/ mini sized action and it's nice and compact.

Would you happen to know if Browning A-Bolt and A-Bolt II had more than SA & LA action lengths available?????
🤔

Mini action opposed to SA, but still not a 223 length action.....
That's the way I understand it
223 is 2.250" COAL and 22-250 is 2.500".....????

I am going to investigate this model next
Browning calls it "SSA" which I'm assuming stands for Super Short Action?

And yes, the .22-250 X-bolt comes in the SSA action.

I might have been wrong when I said there was four action lengths in the X-bolt. Comparing models with same barrel length, the over all length is the same for .300 RUM and .300 WM and they are both listed as "Long Action" by Browning. So it may just be the three. SSA, Short action, long action.

They did not. They only made short and long in the a bolt series. The x bolts have a "micro" model which may be shorter, but I don't know those as well
I just found it
The A-Bolt is 3 action lengths because the A-Bolt Micro is different

Last edited:
They did not. They only made short and long in the a bolt series. The x bolts have a "micro" model which may be shorter, but I don't know those as well
As I understand it, the "micro" models have a shorter LOP, and generally shorter barrels, but the action length is determined by the cartridge, so for example a Micro model is .308 will be on the same action as a Standard model in .308.

Recent Posts