How many gearheads on LRH ?

B5F97082-6D8F-4B45-ACD2-BC09E33BB58C.jpeg
68367232-EECD-4F9B-861B-860E2E7122D2.jpeg
F06E2F99-F86B-4532-B520-1EEF8197DE57.jpeg
E5C9D991-045C-4C12-8E2A-985F0DC8A08A.jpeg
68367232-EECD-4F9B-861B-860E2E7122D2.jpeg
F06E2F99-F86B-4532-B520-1EEF8197DE57.jpeg
E5C9D991-045C-4C12-8E2A-985F0DC8A08A.jpeg

Here's the Chevelle I was talking about.

I run a TE 60 on the GN and it's good for about 650 hp at 21 lbs I'd boost on 93. I never went with the meth set up, just don't drive it enough.

If you compare my 110 inch 2 cylinder to even a small 6 I was at a disadvantage?
I didn't have anywhere to gain. At the point I stopped I had about everything aftermarket? Flow Dynamics Heads..Jugs..Delkron cases..custom SS tuned exhaust.
A dangerous money pit...I'm looking for pictures they are old paper ones I'll see if they will scan..

If you compare my 110 inch 2 cylinder to even a small 6 I was at a disadvantage?
I didn't have anywhere to gain. At the point I stopped I had about everything aftermarket? Flow Dynamics Heads..Jugs..Delkron cases..custom SS tuned exhaust.
A dangerous money pit...

You get to a certain point, then it takes piles of money to grab another few hp.

Exactly... that's why guys that own custom rifles either have or had hot rods.. most understand the concept, but are willing to throw money at both..
Lol

And now it's like the song "Glory Days" I could afford one now but I couldn't cut a light in a week! And I don't know if my common sense could stand it. ( old age) A flash of hesitation and I'm done. Sitting there clutch in.. revs held by the limiter...when you turn it lose it's like an explosion!

I dont have a race car . Dont have the money to go racing . I will go to the strip to let my street car eat for more than 5 seconds, which is about as long as l stay in the throttle on public roads, and to run against the timers to see how well I nailed the build . I just like to feel the raw power of a high HP car. The feeling of free falling when your guts try to wrap around your backbone is like a drug . I've been a junky since I rode in my first hotrod at about 14 years old . It was a friends 68 firebird with a circle track SBC his dad pulled from a wrecked dirt racecar. My friend was 14 too, but his folks let him drive anyway .that was back when parents didnt wrap their kids in bubble wrap to keep them from getting a bruise, lol. Still makes me laugh out loud when I lay the pedal to the carpet !

Of course, these days my fast cars have to turn and stop too. I have too many what ifs floating around in my head to wait till I let off the gas to see if it will stop or make the next turn in the road. See, I'm old now , with that dreaded common sense that comes with the years of eluding death.

What amazes me is the new cars out there. I though the good old days of factory hotrods died in 1972. About 2006ish, I looked for something fun to drive to work 45 miles away , but would get respectable mileage. I started researching and found out the 4th gen LS1 Camaro would run deep 13s and get close to 30mpg bone stock . That is hemi cuda or LS6 chevelle territory for stock 1/4 mile times, but forget fuel mileage with either of those dinosaurs. I found a 99 6 spd car for 12k. That car was great! Drove it for a couple years, then traded it for an 05 GTO 6 spd car. That car wasn't as nimble , but was still a blast to drive!
Now days, new camaros and mustang's with BASE v8s will run low 12 sec times, and the bad boy upgrade cars will get 11s, BONE STOCK ! You can buy a 7th gen ZO6 vette with low miles for 65k that will break into the 10s on drag radials! ARE YOU KIDDING ME !?
Back in the day, if you had a 12 second car, you didnt have to worry about many cars passing you. Now you gotta ride in the slow lane . Crazy stuff!

The NHRA keeps having to lower the ET for rollcage requirements so people can take their brand new cars with window stickers to the track on test and tune days.

View attachment 140208 View attachment 140209 Jim~
I don't have the time to race anymore..
I have a few hot rods that I enjoy burning race fuel in them on the street. Once it's in your blood, you never get rid of it.
I'll have to look for some pictures from those days/tracks. Who knows, maybe I'll find one of us together.
Another one that I ran at Englishtown, Atco, Beaver, Maple Grove, and Mason Dixon.
This girl has 15k miles..and all the go fast goodies.
Joel, are you running a 2004r in that Buford? Thats what I put in my Camaro . Had Lonnie at Extreme build me a stage 2 for it. A guy on another forum ran one of Lonnies stage 1 2004r trans in a 65 skylark with an warmed over 6.0 LS and a pretty healthy shot of nitrous. That trans held up to many low 10 sec passes and street miles in a 3700lbs car. Awesome trans if its built right .

That's what I run in the GN. It's completely built by the guy that built my power glide race trans in the Camaro.
Those transmissions were the weak link from the factory. I can tell you I've thrown a pile of crap at mine, and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Lonnie is considered among the best in GN racing circles on those little tranny's . Bunch of billet stuff in mine . I'm sure the same is true of yours if its hanging strong. I like them because they dont suck up a bunch of HP and they fit in the same place a TH350 fits. They can take alot of abuse if the line pressure is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts