How many gearheads on LRH ?

It's funny. You can predict a lot about a guy's hot rod by his taste in guns and glass. The guy with nothing but a home built AK covered in Chinese made knockoff tacti-cool garbage and a $30 Walmart scope that can't hit a bull in the butt with a broomstick is like
[QUOTE="BallisticsGuy, post: 166892 the same kind of guy that thinks stickers are worth 5hp each.
.[/QUOTE]
Some are worth 7hp, if they mention NOS . Oh, I mean NAAWWWWS

Last edited:
I noticed new guys could make horsepower BUT getting it to the track seemed to elude them? Roasting the tire (s) doesn't make for good ET's! If you leave at the right RPM's
and your clutch is right you shouldn't smoke much if any!

My userid reflects my gear head attitude. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback, have to get it running again, as soon as my new shop is complete (September I hope).
68 Barracuda.jpg

I noticed new guys could make horsepower BUT getting it to the track seemed to elude them? Roasting the tire (s) doesn't make for good ET's! If you leave at the right RPM's
and your clutch is right you shouldn't smoke much if any!
Its so easy to make power these days that alot of folks go way beyond the limits of their suspension before they fully understand what it takes to make their car hook up the power. I've seen alot of power adder cars do some pretty ridiculous maneuvers at the drag strip because they had no clue as to how they get the power down.
By the same token, a lot of people build for all around performance . Its hard to build a car that can corner AND put power down from a dig , if they make good power.

The suspension is pretty stiff on my car so it will turn nice too . I dont ever run a regular street tire on the back anymore. You couldn't even get past half throttle at regular road speeds without slipping and sliding the back of the car around. I run Mickey Thompson drag radial SS tires in a 305-35-18 . They hook good till the boost gets above 6-8 lbs at road speeds. Above that, it's a crap shoot !

Had a few in the past, a couple sleepers that the police wouldn't even look at, Model T and an A. The need for speed and holding the road solid. Days gone by. At this time a '56 2 dr Chevy Belair wagon is resting awaiting me. Have a '57 283 to drop in her when ready. Possible going to give it to my oldest son.
DAD ? IS THIS "THE TONY D" ? ITS ME ! YOUR OLDEST SON !

My userid reflects my gear head attitude. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback, have to get it running again, as soon as my new shop is complete (September I hope). View attachment 140591

I built one just like this for Melvin Craft , just about the same color too . I back halfed the car , put a cage in it , narrowed the dana rear , built a 440 . then a few years later he had me put a 426 in it .

Cars , trucks , motorcycles and boats. The things we talk about here are the less expensive of my 2 main hobbies. Do believe we all have a need for speed.

HA, that's pretty close to me right now. No cars, but I do have four trucks (I use my construction company as a reason to buy them, plus I can do so all with pre-tax money), five dirt bikes in the garage for my and my two sons (all Yamahas), a snowmobile that I store at my Dad's place in the U.P. (Yamaha), a side by side (Yamaha), and a Moomba Movius LSV wakeboard boat. My wife says one of my favorite hobbies it to "burn gas".

Oh yeah, my user name is based on two of my favorite hobbies-burning gas (Yamaha Rhino), and of course...hunting.

Got one here. Raced atv's professionally for years.
Now I'm into cars a bit more.
Have a 15 f-150 3.5 with full opt ons, and meth injection. Making 489whp and just over 600 trq. Runs 12.5 1/4.
It's my work truck with 200,000 miles care free. Drag race it several times a year and have fun while on the road.
Also have a 16 focus RS that has a full built long block big turbo running flex full.
Over 500awhp. Very fun car being awd.
Even my wife's 2.0 edge ecoboost is tuned for e30 blend. It was for me but she won't let me run any tune but e30 for the past year. I just can't leave anything alone.

Been a speed freak/gear head since I was young. I got into rock crawling which I thoroughly enjoyed. Had kids and been out of it for a while now but I'm gathering parts for a new rig. Recently sold my hot rod, a 96' dodge Cummins. Not what most of you probably think of when someone says hot rod but it's best pull on the dyno yielded 823rwhp and 1223 lb-ft. torque on fuel only. Rode dirt bikes most of my life as well and had a few hot gas burners along the way. Just prefer the diesel power. These new diesels are down right impressive, how can 2500+rwhp not be?

My son has a Ford f250 4x4 diesel that he drives daily. He has a service truck he drives on weeks he is on call, so I drive his truck to the mailbox some days instead of walking the half mile round trip. Truck seemed sluggish at part throttle but whistled like crazy from the progressive snail. I decided to lay into it one day..........WOW! For a truck that weighs as much as two 71 caddy's, that sucker moves ! Easily a low 13 second truck. It's amazing how a diesel can ignore that thing we gas lovers have always had to concern ourselves with, weight. I now understand what torque is. Dont get me wrong, I still put my money in a gas burner. I love a 7000rpm shift point , but I respect diesel power. Still hate that rattling sound they make though ! Ranks right up there with the sound of a mopar starter on my list of noises i DONT want to hear coming from my hotrod, lol o_O

My son has a Ford f250 4x4 diesel that he drives daily. He has a service truck he drives on weeks he is on call, so I drive his truck to the mailbox some days instead of walking the half mile round trip. Truck seemed sluggish at part throttle but whistled like crazy from the progressive snail. I decided to lay into it one day..........WOW! For a truck that weighs as much as two 71 caddy's, that sucker moves ! Easily a low 13 second truck. It's amazing how a diesel can ignore that thing we gas lovers have always had to concern ourselves with, weight. I now understand what torque is. Dont get me wrong, I still put my money in a gas burner. I love a 7000rpm shift point , but I respect diesel power. Still hate that rattling sound they make though ! Ranks right up there with the sound of a mopar starter on my list of noises i DONT want to hear coming from my hotrod, lol o_O
Yeah the powerstroke's had a bad knock to them, especially the 7.3's. The 6.7 powerstroke is very quiet for a diesel. I've been around Cummins engines mostly. When they start to spool the knock goes away. And just because it burns diesel doesn't mean it won't turn some rpm. The high horse rigs will usually be turning well over 5k and some over 6k. I was shifting mine at 4400rpm.
Check this out, You'll see why I'm a diesel fan.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.