How fast did weapons and ammo technology really advance and when did it happen?

Laser guided will overcome wind and or other vectors since it will be just "homing" in on the target. Or who knows how accurate "GPS" or some other positioning system can get which then the target is a fixed point.

I would say that ammunition probably has had the greatest effect out of all the advancements since the 1920's. I look at my two Pre-64 Model 70's, a 1941 Standard rifle in 30-06 and a 1955 Bull Gun in .300 H&H with a 15x Unertl scope as examples of this.

Back in the day a rifle such as my 06 would be considered a good shooter if it shot less than 2 moa with good ammo. These days with my hand loads I am able to regularly print groups around 1/2 moa with the original 79 year old barrel. Same with the Bull Gun though the groups on that tend to be closer to 1/4 moa when I do my part.

2 things... 1, Not everyone agrees but, thank you very much for the kind compliment! and 2, I'm just assuming that that was not sarcasm. It must be known that I do not have the natural facility for detecting sarcasm as they don't use it on my home planet.
It's used so frequently on my planet that it's the mode; sincerity sticks out like a baboon in heat's butt.

This is about robotic aiming and shooting, not so much bullet and ballistics as the OP asked, but it kinda seems on topic. Sure fascinated me . . .

I wish I could find the Huston Wearhouse Experiment article...

It was a big game changer,,, the 368 yard wearhouse produced some crazy accurate groups... the big push for todays high tech barrels and bullets too...

I'm sure someone will copy and paste it...

If I recall,,, the Warehouse was North of Huston in another town,,, it was easier to call it the Huston Project...

This was where 1 of the world legendary barrel makers came on the seen,,, its an incredible story for sure...

Cheers from the North

Thanks Don A Parsons !
I remember reading that 'article' in many different 'pieces' many years ago and found it to be informative and intriguing. I'll have to re-read it again. My "memory" seems to recall that brass neck tension was so critical to good, consistent results.

I've attached the article in PDF form for those having trouble with the links. (The PDF file was available for download from the website so I'm assuming it's okay to 'share' it here?)

Attachments

• 1993 Houston Warehouse accuracy lessons.pdf
    307.1 KB · Views: 93
Virtual Reality will allow a shooter to select several parameters for his rifle and the computer will select the environmental parameters and targets , and there you go, right in your living room. The computer may even include stochastic processes. (Random error) in its model.

No no my friend...some guys are crazy ...ya know, we may have to fight our military one day, fantasizing that it's Red Dawn lol
Curious, why you think that? Not that it's a big fear of mine. But you seemed ready to pounce on that.

Curious, why you think that? Not that it's a big fear of mine. But you seemed ready to pounce on that.

Just wondering if that is what he was getting at...one of the Militia types who are fantasizing about fighting our own Military some day.

Did my comment offend you?? Seems to have touched a nerve with you or you wouldn't have asked

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.