How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Len Backus, Jan 20, 2008.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. wildbillb02

wildbillb02 Member

Savage 22 scoped. Usually just sit near my deer stands and thin out the ones that ratted me out in deer season. Keep some rocks in your pocket to toss to the other side of the tree to get them to move around for a shot.

MtPockets likes this.
  2. MtPockets

MtPockets Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Like any other 10 year old kid, I spent MANY happy days hunting squirrels as a kid. I started out using my Dads Marlin model 60.
    Got tired of eating squirrel so went to a bow, then later on a Single Six.
    Then I didn't eat as much squirrel.
    What worked best for me, chasing them around in the oak woods in central Minnesota, was to sneak in as quietly as possible and sit down. Wait 15-20 minutes sitting as still as possible. Then ssssllloooowwwwly take a handful of pebbles out of my pocket and occasionally flick one into the dry leaves, trying to sound like a squirrel dropping nut hulls.
    I would guess that squirrels must be social animals because it never failed to bring them in from a LONG way.

3. megastink

megastink Well-Known Member

I think I love hi ting squirrels more than deer. I have a Savage 93 in .17 hmr with an old Blackhawk! (Weaver) Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil scope on it. Zeroed at 30 yards. I still hunt for them. There’s a hiking path that runs along the Delaware River in northeastern PA. I walk that and either spot them or spook them. All I have to do is wait for them to stick their head out. I only take headshots, or I pass. If I see five, two to four come home. They’re smarter than they seem.

4. mcali2

mcali2 Well-Known Member

Im up to 1834 squirrels this year so far. The temps dropped to 50 and rain but i hope to get another 600 or so next week.