How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

Savage 22 scoped. Usually just sit near my deer stands and thin out the ones that ratted me out in deer season. Keep some rocks in your pocket to toss to the other side of the tree to get them to move around for a shot.

Like any other 10 year old kid, I spent MANY happy days hunting squirrels as a kid. I started out using my Dads Marlin model 60.
Got tired of eating squirrel so went to a bow, then later on a Single Six.
Then I didn't eat as much squirrel.
What worked best for me, chasing them around in the oak woods in central Minnesota, was to sneak in as quietly as possible and sit down. Wait 15-20 minutes sitting as still as possible. Then ssssllloooowwwwly take a handful of pebbles out of my pocket and occasionally flick one into the dry leaves, trying to sound like a squirrel dropping nut hulls.
I would guess that squirrels must be social animals because it never failed to bring them in from a LONG way.

I think I love hi ting squirrels more than deer. I have a Savage 93 in .17 hmr with an old Blackhawk! (Weaver) Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil scope on it. Zeroed at 30 yards. I still hunt for them. There's a hiking path that runs along the Delaware River in northeastern PA. I walk that and either spot them or spook them. All I have to do is wait for them to stick their head out. I only take headshots, or I pass. If I see five, two to four come home. They're smarter than they seem.

1. What time of the day works best for you?
Depends on the time of year. If seasons are still open other game I'll hunt mid morning and early afternoons. Preserve my sunrise and sunset hunts for other game. Come Jan-March any time is a good time.
  1. Do you sit or do you walk?
Both. I have large parcels of forest available to me both private and public. I like to get in deep and slow hunt as I go. Spending a couple minutes under a tree. Once I'm well into a plot, I'll post up and sit.
  1. What shooting position is most common for you?
Depends on the whether I'm sitting or walking. I'll shoot from an array of positions.
  1. Do you ever use a call?
I never used to but nowadays I like playing around with them. I've never heard of the pebble method mentioned by @MtPockets. Definitely going to give that ago soon.
  1. How much difference does weather make?
Don't hunt too much in rain. Love hunting while it's snowing
  1. If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?
On a good day 4 maaaaybe 5. On a normal day 1-3. Rare to get skunked but I'm picky on shots so don't shoot at everything i see.
  1. Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine?
10/22 or grandads 410

You don't need no stinkin gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go to the park with a bag of peanuts or pecans and a big stick and sack. Lure them in with the nuts, hit em with the stick, put em in the bag!:):):D

Golf course , Golf cart , and a 9 Iron .
Club him in the head .
Stuff him into your bag .
Clean him and Cook him at home .

A good squirrel dog #1 if not still hunt early morning s and late afternoon. Squirrel s will be feeding and doing what they do , snipe them with a good scoped 22. Lot of fun

db and others, thanks. I only went out for squirrels once after I started this thread. But next year I will be starting to hunt already in fall...unlike this year. We had so much snow on the ground this Jan/Feb that it was a bit of a job to get around.

Great ideas!

I gave up Whitetail hunting 35 years ago in favor of Squirrels. I focus all of my hunting effort on them alone. The hunting is fun, the action is exciting & the reward on the plate does not require processing of any sort. I hunt with a 1965 Browning Auto 5 12 ga, which, I removed from its box in 2018 where it had been since new. Remington #5's high brass & I'm good to go.

I wish our pine squirrels were more palatable. Any of our well sighted 22s with 40gn CCI bullet would suffice.

The alluring aspect about squirrel hunting is that there are a variety of approaches to hunting them. While I really enjoy hunting them at extended ranges with my Rimfire used for PRS competition, as mentioned in a prior post in this thread, I also enjoy hunting them with my flintlock and stickbow at in the dense forested areas. There is no shortage,of them, and the season is long.

CZ 455, a handful of rounds from a 550 Federal Value Pack in my pocket and a pouch of Redman works for me! Usually take a casual walk around the ATV trails on my property in the late afternoon/early evening - spot and stalk. Don't currently use a call but I'm going to look into it. Really hones the rifleman skills. I've learned to get on target quick and shoot. He who hesitates is lost!
E6DAAFC2-9098-4DCD-B3C3-268380A99C2C.jpeg