How do you decide what products to use?

but first and foremost we are a hunting bullet company. Im finding it tough to figure out how to reach hunters. We do have some awesome high speed video of ballistics gel testing on our YouTube channel. Again, it's just figuring out how to get it out there that im struggling with!

Theres a lot of good bullets out there so its tough to convince people to try something else but the best way to reach hunters is your youtube channel and maintain a presence on hunting forums like this.... share your hunt results, and people will be interested. When I decide to pick a bullet I search hunting forums for people using them for positive reviews. I dont know of any other way or place to get reviews on hunting bullets than forums or hunting blogs/magazines.

Here are a few of my questions:
-What influences your decision to try a new product? Is it word of mouth, a google search, an ad, etc??
-What would be an incentive to push you over the edge to try a new product?
-Do you prefer to try new things or stick with tried and true?
What has been my biggest influence has been reloading manuals and other books. The intro written about a cartridge is usually what gets me interested. PO Ackley's Handbooks for Shooters and Reloaders was a huge influence as well. Once I'm interested in a cartridge I read old articles and multiple forum posts to gain insight and perspective on that cartridge.

My high volume rifles that I shoot a lot of bulk bullets. Usually some sort of cup and core bullet either an SPBT or HPBT. I'm going to shoot these in volume at paper, steel and prairie dogs. Again I'm buying based on price more so than anything as it isn't unusual to shoot up several thousand rounds during prime prairie dog season.

My big game rifles might see 20-40 rounds if I choose them for a current years hunt after load development. That's where a CEB might be my bullet of choice. I'll shoot a few to make sure my rifle and scope are still working properly and if I'm on my game the minimum for the tags in my pocket.

I've actually tried CEB Raptors in .223 and .300 WM. In the .223 they proved to accurate and very deadly on white tail deer for my daughter when she was learning to hunt at 9 years old. They allow the diminutive .223 Rem to outperform its weight class. She is now 20 years old and has moved to the larger rifles for deer, but probably has enough loaded CEB Raptors to last her the next 20-30 years of deer hunting if she chooses the .223 again, or I'll be buying them again when any future grandchildren start hunting deer.

I found the rapid fracturing of the brass bullet to be too explosive on the same deer out of the .300 WM. So I didn't use them on my Mule Deer hunt I was testing them for, opting for a more controlled expansion bullet I already had. They would have probably been fine in the .308 or .30-06, but I had only purchased 50 ct at that time to test and didn't buy any after I shot those in my .300 WM.

I think CEB makes an excellent and consistent product, and load development was quick and easy because of this. Unfortunately with the current state of things, I'll probably suffer using cheaper components for the time being. Old style bullets that I started using 20+ years ago still kill a lot of game efficiently and ethically, and using a $0.50 ±/- bullet isn't going to ruin my chances of a successful hunt. Saving money where I can allows me to try for more tags and travel further to hunt. The costs of everything has outpaced my earnings like most people these last few years.

What has been my biggest influence has been reloading manuals and other books. The intro written about a cartridge is usually what gets me interested. PO Ackley's Handbooks for Shooters and Reloaders was a huge influence as well. Once I'm interested in a cartridge I read old articles and multiple forum posts to gain insight and perspective on that cartridge.

My high volume rifles that I shoot a lot of bulk bullets. Usually some sort of cup and core bullet either an SPBT or HPBT. I'm going to shoot these in volume at paper, steel and prairie dogs. Again I'm buying based on price more so than anything as it isn't unusual to shoot up several thousand rounds during prime prairie dog season.

My big game rifles might see 20-40 rounds if I choose them for a current years hunt after load development. That's where a CEB might be my bullet of choice. I'll shoot a few to make sure my rifle and scope are still working properly and if I'm on my game the minimum for the tags in my pocket.

I've actually tried CEB Raptors in .223 and .300 WM. In the .223 they proved to accurate and very deadly on white tail deer for my daughter when she was learning to hunt at 9 years old. They allow the diminutive .223 Rem to outperform its weight class. She is now 20 years old and has moved to the larger rifles for deer, but probably has enough loaded CEB Raptors to last her the next 20-30 years of deer hunting if she chooses the .223 again, or I'll be buying them again when any future grandchildren start hunting deer.

I found the rapid fracturing of the brass bullet to be too explosive on the same deer out of the .300 WM. So I didn't use them on my Mule Deer hunt I was testing them for, opting for a more controlled expansion bullet I already had. They would have probably been fine in the .308 or .30-06, but I had only purchased 50 ct at that time to test and didn't buy any after I shot those in my .300 WM.

I think CEB makes an excellent and consistent product, and load development was quick and easy because of this. Unfortunately with the current state of things, I'll probably suffer using cheaper components for the time being. Old style bullets that I started using 20+ years ago still kill a lot of game efficiently and ethically, and using a $0.50 ±/- bullet isn't going to ruin my chances of a successful hunt. Saving money where I can allows me to try for more tags and travel further to hunt. The costs of everything has outpaced my earnings like most people these last few years.
I really value your response. Thanks for your honesty. I really do understand the cost aspect of things and I dont blame you one bit for your decision to stick with something more cost effective. I really do wish we could get our costs down, but between our material costs and manufacturing method, it makes it tough! Hopefully someday when we are one of the "big guys" the volume will be there and we will be able to get costs down.
Thanks again!

-What influences your decision to try a new product? Is it word of mouth, a google search, an ad, etc??
1. I do my own research and vet who/ where I'm getting my data from. Word of mouth if it's from a reliable source/ friend in the industry.

2. There are many variables here. Some are performance, cost, need vs want, and reliable supply. The main thing for me is does the product fit my needs.

3. I prefer to stick with a proven product. But in the bullet/ firearms world nothing is perfect so I tend to think of them as tools. I take the same stance towards components.

Overall I think your company is doing a pretty good job. King Of Two Miles helped out with advertising. Obviously you all are using good bar stock and monitoring the machines well to meet the consistency needed for such precision. And I think it's wise to avoid the drama on the web. The people in the industry I know have a presence on the web. It's an essential tool no mater what industry. But they don't get in the debates.
As far as what could help some load data might be useful. It wouldn't have to be complete as most customers in your arena would be savvy reloaders. Maybe just some starter loads for new reloaders with the priority on safe and accurate loads. The smaller packets might help but then it does create more operating costs. Maybe try it with new lines or during a new advertising for a limited time offer.

I really value your response. Thanks for your honesty..... Hopefully someday when we are one of the "big guys" the volume will be there and we will be able to get costs down.
Thanks again!
I imagine your R&D, manufacturing, and raw material costs are quite substantial as a small business. Especially with all the regulations that want to kill American manufacturing and small businesses. It's an uphill battle to grow a business of any kind these days, without being eaten up by regulations or one of the "big guys".

1. I do my own research and vet who/ where I'm getting my data from. Word of mouth if it's from a reliable source/ friend in the industry.

2. There are many variables here. Some are performance, cost, need vs want, and reliable supply. The main thing for me is does the product fit my needs.

3. I prefer to stick with a proven product. But in the bullet/ firearms world nothing is perfect so I tend to think of them as tools. I take the same stance towards components.

Overall I think your company is doing a pretty good job. King Of Two Miles helped out with advertising. Obviously you all are using good bar stock and monitoring the machines well to meet the consistency needed for such precision. And I think it's wise to avoid the drama on the web. The people in the industry I know have a presence on the web. It's an essential tool no mater what industry. But they don't get in the debates.
As far as what could help some load data might be useful. It wouldn't have to be complete as most customers in your arena would be savvy reloaders. Maybe just some starter loads for new reloaders with the priority on safe and accurate loads. The smaller packets might help but then it does create more operating costs. Maybe try it with new lines or during a new advertising for a limited time offer.
Thanks for the feedback! I am thinking that maybe we should start with the major calibers first for our load data. Create a manual for .264, .308, and maybe one other one? Im thinking doing larger calibers like .375 & .416 wouldn't be necessary since those are mostly match shooters and they do a lot of load development anyways. Just thinking out loud. Would definitely love to hear your thought on which calibers we should start with.

Thanks for the feedback! I am thinking that maybe we should start with the major calibers first for our load data. Create a manual for .264, .308, and maybe one other one? Im thinking doing larger calibers like .375 & .416 wouldn't be necessary since those are mostly match shooters and they do a lot of load development anyways. Just thinking out loud. Would definitely love to hear your thought on which calibers we should start with.
6.5mm, 7mm and 308 will be your main hunting calibers.

I imagine your R&D, manufacturing, and raw material costs are quite substantial as a small business. Especially with all the regulations that want to kill American manufacturing and small businesses. It's an uphill battle to grow a business of any kind these days, without being eaten up by regulations or one of the "big guys".
Oh jeez dont even get me started. US is definitely not manufacturing friendly, however I will say that consumers aren't exactly supportive of it either. Things made overseas are substantially cheaper, so most people will not opt to go for the American made item that is double the cost. I totally understand that though, I myself am guilty of that! I recognize our bullets are certainly not meant for everyone! The only option for us to get our prices down is to increase our volume substantially, so we will keep working towards that goal!

Hi all, my name is Samantha and Ive been working at Cutting Edge Bullets for about 10 years now. We are a small family owned company thats been in business since 2008, and being a small company, I have worn very many hats within the organization over the years. We have always made it a company policy to stay off of forums. There has certainly been some drama in the past, so we feel its best practice to just avoid it all together. However, I do have some burning questions for you, and I dont think it hurts to ask. Ive always enjoyed reading the threads on this forum because the community seems very open and helpful to one another. If i'm way out in left field here, feel free to let me know!

I have a lot of questions for hunters and shooters alike in regards to the decision making process when it comes to purchasing new equipment/gear. Our goal as a company isn't to cram our product down peoples throats and sell to people who aren't truly our target market. Our goal is to provide hunters and shooters with all of the information needed in order for them to make a good choice. Unfortunately it seems we are not so great at getting our name and product out there, so we really need to figure that part out. Im hoping discussing some items with this community will help me better understand where we need to focus.

I know a lot of these are very open ended and are probably dependent on the item. But any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance.
-Samantha
Samantha,

In todays world, I wouldn't write a book. I would first, contact some of the big hunters with a massive following and have them try your bullets on a hunt. If your bullets preform well, then they will get the message out to the hunting community. Customers will follow. The two people who come to mind, Steve Rinella and Gavin At ultimate reloader. Both have a massive following.

Second, I would start a YouTube channel to inform people your are out there on the market place. Show them how the bullet preforms, could do this by shooting some ballistic gels. That would be a real world test that would show future customers the devastation your company bullet would do to an animal.

I think your company is probably a little ahead of the times. I could see a world where all states require copper bullets for hunting purposes, you guys will just have to figure out how to bridge the gap between then.

Good luck!

I'd probably look at which hunting bullets you sell the most. I would guess .264, .284, .308 and maybe .338. You could also do an online survey with a link on your webpage. That way you could get a sample of the interest. It could be skewed towards reloaders, but it would show interest also.

To start ya could do like Speer when a new bullet that's not in any manual yet comes out. They just put the little cheat sheet for .308 caliber, right in the bullets box. Gives like 6 different loads for each of the most common .308 cartridges, 308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 300 Winchester Short Magnum,300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Weatherby Magnum gives a guy place to start.

How I decide what to buy?

1️⃣ I look at the conditions my scenario, e.g., the shooting competition I want to participate in, or in the case of hunting, I look at the hunting scenario: e.g.: what type of hunting (ambush, stalk, driven), what game (kill zone, size), at which ranges, under which terrain conditions, with which atmospheric hurdles, etc.
● I also look at my personal preferences, e.g.: In guns I don't like wooden stocks, and I like short guns. I'm a packrat and don't mind extra weight. I would much rather have major overkill, than running a slight risk of underkill. Etc.

2️⃣ I read comparative product reviews in the style of "The 10 best range finders for long range shooting." The product could be anything I need for my scenario, be that ammo, guns, boots, range finder, etc.
From them I get an impression of the features that are offered on the market for the product — and what these features will do for me (or how a lack of a certain feature will or will not impact me in my scenario).
E.g., when buying hunting boots and my scenario calls for short walks only, then weight will not be an important factor for my purchase decision.

3️⃣ I make a list of important-to-me specs:
• features and characteristics that are non-negotiable,
• those that are important, and
• those that are nice to have.

4️⃣ Then I look at product webpages and catalogs and record the specs I find, be that ammo, guns, boots, range finders, silencers, etc.

➠ LEARNING: As I do this, I learn — I gain a better understanding of what it is that I truly need and what my personal preferences truly are. This makes me revise my important-to-me specs list.

● Depending on the importance, complexity, and/or price of the product, this record can get pretty detailed (scopes have over two dozen specs...!).
Attached below is an example of an airgun pellet Specs Table for hollow points in .22cal.
I have one for over 200 scopes. And then some.

5️⃣ Now, with the products listed side by side, it is easy to focus on those that fill most of my required specs, and are within my price range.
The comparative Specs Table allows me to weigh how much more certain specs will cost me, or how getting one spec to my liking will eliminate another spec.

6️⃣ Search online for the product that comes out ahead of the others, and buy the cheapest.

That's it. 😄 And this process is a lot of fun. It's part of my shooting hobby.

Matthias

🟠 Attachment:
Specs Table for .22 Hollow Point Pellets

Attachments

• PELLETS. HP Pellet Specs Performance CHART. 152.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 13